Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok second update.
Picked up the car this morning. I did a walk around to make sure there were no door dings from other cars, it’s a super tight parking lot.
As I was turning in my key from my loaner, the service advisor told me that the penthouse permitter seal was “folded”, so it wasn’t laying flat and that was creating all the noise. The ultimate test was going to be when I got on the highway to head home.
Stopped to do some shopping before I came home and I got into the back seat to get a reusable bag… Holy Hell, What a Mess!!! There is dust and dirt EVERYWHERE, on the seats on the doors! I’m guessing they tore the back seat out to fix it. But damn what a mess!!!! Definitely not happy about that. So I’m headed out now to clean it and wash the bugs off.
So guess what…. This car is soooo quiet! The issue has been fixed and Im so happy! It’s like a whole different car, sounds like my M3LR now. This is how it should have been from the get-go.
So besides the dirty interior, the service apt went smoothly!
Wow great to hear. I have an appt for the 29th but they want to charge a $112.50 diagnostic fee.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
Ok second update.
Picked up the car this morning. I did a walk around to make sure there were no door dings from other cars, it’s a super tight parking lot.
As I was turning in my key from my loaner, the service advisor told me that the penthouse permitter seal was “folded”, so it wasn’t laying flat and that was creating all the noise. The ultimate test was going to be when I got on the highway to head home.
Stopped to do some shopping before I came home and I got into the back seat to get a reusable bag… Holy Hell, What a Mess!!! There is dust and dirt EVERYWHERE, on the seats on the doors! I’m guessing they tore the back seat out to fix it. But damn what a mess!!!! Definitely not happy about that. So I’m headed out now to clean it and wash the bugs off.
So guess what…. This car is soooo quiet! The issue has been fixed and Im so happy! It’s like a whole different car, sounds like my M3LR now. This is how it should have been from the get-go.
Glad to hear it got resolved! I'm nervous about my upcoming appointment on the 22nd. I'd be so happy if this was resolved. No other complaints with the car and I've really been enjoying it. But anytime I'm not playing music loud, I cringe as I hear the whine at pretty much any speed. Even though I can afford the MYLR just fine, it is 3X what I've ever paid for a car in the past because we tend to be conservative with spending our money on depreciating assets like cars (ignoring the craziness of the past 2 years with my MYLR being $16K higher in MSRP than when I locked in my price!), and it just feels like something that shouldn't be a problem on a car at this price point.

Glad to hear it got resolved! I'm nervous about my upcoming appointment on the 22nd. I'd be so happy if this was resolved. No other complaints with the car and I've really been enjoying it. But anytime I'm not playing music loud, I cringe as I hear the whine at pretty much any speed. Even though I can afford the MYLR just fine, it is 3X what I've ever paid for a car in the past because we tend to be conservative with spending our money on depreciating assets like cars (ignoring the craziness of the past 2 years with my MYLR being $16K higher in MSRP than when I locked in my price!), and it just feels like something that shouldn't be a problem on a car at this price point.
Be nervous, but don’t be nervous. If your car is making the same noise as mine, it will be resolved. I was amazed at the sound difference.
I 100% agree with you on spending so much money on a car and you want it to have zero problems, but we’re talking about Tesla here.
But I feel like they handled my situation perfectly and did not give me the run around. The ST that worked on my car was taking to me and he said he’s been with the company since the S and X came out. He said the cars have come a long way from having a ton of issues to some having no issues. My M3LR had absolutely nothing wrong with it, while the MYLR has/had a handful of them.
We try to be conservative with our money as well but I love cars and it’s probably the only thing we splurge on!
Yes the price hike was wild but I had a feeling it was coming. I always go back and take the price I paid and then the new price and see what I saved. Then I show my husband and I’m like see what I saved you by ordering 2 last year 😂
Good Luck with your appointment and keep me posted on how you make out.

Reactions: orion2001
Ok second update.
Do you know where the penthouse perimeter seal actually is? Is it on the motor or the rear seats? I've noticed that if I have my 2 kids sitting in the back seats, the sound is not as loud.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
Do you know where the penthouse perimeter seal actually is? Is it on the motor or the rear seats? I've noticed that if I have my 2 kids sitting in the back seats, the sound is not as loud.
I have no idea where it is but I am assuming under the rear seat somewhere because the whole back seat area of my car was a mess. I’ve read on Reddit where they have to drop the battery pack to fix it. So I’m guessing they have to tear the back seat out to get to the fasteners that hold the battery in place. I have no idea, I’m just glad it doesn’t make the noise anymore. Now I can drive around without the music blaring and just listen to the car. 😂
Here is the invoice of the job done.

Attachments

• FEE9AF52-F973-48D1-B45F-EB6A50199139.png
    FEE9AF52-F973-48D1-B45F-EB6A50199139.png
    722.2 KB · Views: 224
Yup, an easy check is if you drop your rear seats down and the whine is reduced, it is likely the perimeter seal. It is under the seats but as @3YMimi73 mentioned, they need to drop the battery pack to get to it which ends up requiring a fair amount of time and labor. Others have reported being able to partially mitigate this by putting in a bunch of sound insulating foam under the bottom seat cushion.

Took my Y in this morning for whining issue and tech verified the sound happens. They took apart the car and also checked a few other YPs and they all make the same sound. To them that meant mine was normal and there was nothing to fix.
Is it a whining noise or like a high frequency drill sound?
If it’s super annoying and sounds like a drill, be persistent and have them check the penthouse perimeter seal.
The SA heard it in my car within 5 mins of riding with me. They determined it to be a folded penthouse perimeter seal and fixed it. Car is amazing quiet now, it was a long 3 weeks!

Reactions: xyskis
Mine isn't that bad, plus I usually have kids in the back seat jabbering away anyways. I can definitely hear it, it's louder than I feel it should be, but if I turn up music it's not that bad.
I would definitely take it back and ask for a different ST or go to a different SC. To me, you shouldn’t hear anything out of the ordinary.
My back seat is always empty, but I definitely heard the odd noise 4 days after picking Pepper up. I scheduled a service apt as soon as I noticed it.
It’s wonderful now not having to have the music so loud as to try to drown out the “drill” noise 😆🥰

Reactions: xyskis