Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall reading about a link from a member here adding sound deadening material under the seat. I thought I saved it, but couldn't find it. If anyone has info on it or the link, please share. I'm going to give that a try before trying to replace the penthouse seal.

Go to Page 2 of this thread, it’s there.
Thanks I read the page. I think there was one in the forum where someone had pics and shared the amazon links. I remember it being two types of material with something that looked like rubber on top. He also went into detail with the sound decible changes. But if anyone has a particular type the recommend, that'll work also. I'd like something heat/fire resistant to the extent possible.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
Thanks I read the page. I think there was one in the forum where someone had pics and shared the amazon links. I remember it being two types of material with something that looked like rubber on top. He also went into detail with the sound decible changes. But if anyone has a particular type the recommend, that'll work also. I'd like something heat/fire resistant to the extent possible.
Sorry, didn’t realize there were 2 different ideas.

Reactions: hungryev
A7D2D8A3-65E0-45E0-90C1-B56139F2399E.jpeg

So this is the perimeter seal in question. The problem was that the foam seal was misaligned during the pack/frame mating process such that the gasket seal wasn’t complete, allowing ingress of sound. The above photo is my perimeter seal and I’ve circled the area where the imprint of the mating is clearly missing.

They did have to drop the pack, flush the coolant, and replace the seal. Dropped the car off at 0645 and picked up at 1700 at PDX SC though the actual booked time was 6 hours.

It’s crazy that a $1 part caused two wasted days (one day diagnostics, one day fix) and thousands of dollars worth of SC time to fix.

Dental drone is resolved!!

Last edited:
I would definitely take it back and ask for a different ST or go to a different SC. To me, you shouldn’t hear anything out of the ordinary.
My back seat is always empty, but I definitely heard the odd noise 4 days after picking Pepper up. I scheduled a service apt as soon as I noticed it.
It’s wonderful now not having to have the music so loud as to try to drown out the “drill” noise 😆🥰
Yeah I drove two hours in it tonight and all I heard was that whine. I’m taking it back next week. On the 30th I’m supposed to take it from Indy to Hilton Head with family, I’ll probably get murdered halfway there.

Well sh*t. I can’t get it back in until the 12th of July.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn’t realize there were 2 different ideas.
All good! I just found the link again. The search was painful! But from the link, I've ordered the MLV and found similar fire resistant acoustic panels. Shipping tomorrow so I'll install as soon as I can.

View attachment 819393
So this is the perimeter seal in question. The problem was that the foam seal was misaligned during the pack/frame mating process such that the gasket seal wasn’t complete, allowing ingress of sound. The above photo is my perimeter seal and I’ve circled the area where the imprint of the mating is clearly missing.

They did have to drop the pack, flush the coolant, and replace the seal. Dropped the car off at 0645 and picked up at 1700 at PDX SC though the actual booked time was 6 hours.

It’s crazy that a $1 part caused two wasted days (one day diagnostics, one day fix) and thousands of dollars worth of SC time to fix.

Do you know if it's possible to tell if the seal is installed/misaligned by taking the seat covers off? I just took them off to do some exploration and to install acoustic sound proofing.

All good! I just found the link again. The search was painful! But from the link, I've ordered the MLV and found similar fire resistant acoustic panels. Shipping tomorrow so I'll install as soon as I can.

I'd be very curious to hear about how this works out for you. Also would appreciate if you manage to take any pics along the way. I'm headed to the SC tomorrow so we'll see how this goes.

View attachment 819393

Yay!
Did you ask to see the PPS? I didn’t even think to ask if I could see/keep mine. I was just glad to have it fixed.
I can’t believe that is the culprit that’s been driving us all bananas the past month or months for some.

Last edited:
View attachment 819393

Thanks for this! I just fwd the pic through the Tesla app, so my service advisor can show the tech working on the car.

Just took mine in and they tried to tell me it was normal at first. When I said that my friends cars don't have it and one that did got their penthouse perimeter seal replaced and it fixed the iasue. The tech changed his mind and said they would take a look at it.

Last edited:
Thanks for this!

Just took mine in and they tried to tell me it was normal at first. When I said that my friends cars don't have it and one that did got their penthouse perimeter seal replaced and it fixed the iasue. The tech changed his mind and said they would take a look at it.
I’m glad you took yours in, you were the first one to comment on this thread and you said you assumed it was a “normal” noise.
I think enough of us complained about it, hopefully they put out a service bulletin. Do they think we don’t talk about issues going on with our cars 😆
And I feel bad for those owners who aren’t on here and have no idea what’s going on with them.

Reactions: Ben W and oghowie
View attachment 819393

Did you take yours to Macadam or Washington Square? I have a definite dental drill whine sound but when I took it to Macadam the tech who drove with me tried to blame it on the "single gear transmission" that Tesla's have. Wondering if I should try to have someone else look at it.

Yay!
Did you ask to see the PPS? I didn’t even think to ask if I could see/keep mine. I was just glad to have it fixed.
I can’t believe that is the culprit that’s been driving us all bananas the past month or months for some.
No, the service manager did it of their own volition. Once they did, realized a picture might be helpful to the folks here so I snapped it with their permission.

So I had my appointment at the Raleigh SC today. It was made for this issue and an issue with one of my rear seats not dropping down when the button on the hatch is pressed. It was a madhouse out there with the end-of-quarter push. Parking lot was overflowing and there were a lot of people there for service as well.

I dropped the car off in the morning and used the Uber credits ($100) to head into work. They didn't get around to looking at the car till around 5pm. They couldn't fix either of the issues today but the 1-sentence update mentioned that they have ordered parts to address both of my issues and now I have a follow-up appointment for the 15th of July. So that sounds promising in that they haven't just tried to pass this off with a "within spec" response. It might have helped that I'd messaged them well in advance with a heads-up that the penthouse perimeter seal is the likely culprit.

So fingers crossed for whenever my follow-up appointment happens. I'm just really glad that I love close by to my SC. This would all have been very frustrating and inconvenient if I lived a few hours away given how backed up they are and needing to go back again.

I installed the insulation and mlv today and it seemed to muffle the high pitched whine to the point where I find it more comfortable (similar to the improvement if you were to fold the seats). I didn’t cover the entire area either. Left the hv contact exposed out of caution.

I also confirmed that a foam perimeter seal is in place. There’s a spot that has more foam sticking up that could be the culprit but it still appears to be attached between the frame and hv battery. Now I’m not completely convinced it’s the seal…unless all it takes is the slightest gap of seal to cause the ingress of motor sound.

Next steps: going to compare the seal to the other model y (non-p late may build, no high pitched whine noise at all).

Attachments

• 6B6CF03E-8A5B-4CE2-B226-66B4C92CC927.jpeg
    6B6CF03E-8A5B-4CE2-B226-66B4C92CC927.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 584
  • 1D0EE6D6-C7F2-44BA-8A27-080017C27729.jpeg
    1D0EE6D6-C7F2-44BA-8A27-080017C27729.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 529
  • AE2313E2-B679-4C68-8DA9-F39FE4A976A0.jpeg
    AE2313E2-B679-4C68-8DA9-F39FE4A976A0.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 451
  • 01817AF5-E4C2-47A7-8DED-2D64ED796F82.jpeg
    01817AF5-E4C2-47A7-8DED-2D64ED796F82.jpeg