Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This forum has been so helpful. I just picked up a new Y LR last weekend. As soon as I drove off the lot I noticed the loud dental drill sound from the back, starting around 40mph. The sound persists even at light throttle and light regen. I have driven every model of Tesla, and this was not normal. Otherwise the car was perfect. Anyway, based on this helpful forum, I pulled the backseat cushions, and I believe my penthouse perimeter seal is misaligned, on the rear side. See photo. Interesting that some seals are blue like mine, and other (earlier?) seals are white. I have made an appointment with the SC.

I’m a bit hesitant to tell the SC that I saw the seal. Worried that they might deny the warranty by claiming that I messed with it! Maybe I’ll just tell them I heard that this is a common cause.

Attachments

• C52C8235-4235-4B61-8204-BC1E763F1BF3.jpeg
    C52C8235-4235-4B61-8204-BC1E763F1BF3.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 492
This forum has been so helpful. I just picked up a new Y LR last weekend. As soon as I drove off the lot I noticed the loud dental drill sound from the back, starting around 40mph. The sound persists even at light throttle and light regen. I have driven every model of Tesla, and this was not normal. Otherwise the car was perfect. Anyway, based on this helpful forum, I pulled the backseat cushions, and I believe my penthouse perimeter seal is misaligned, on the rear side. See photo. Interesting that some seals are blue like mine, and other (earlier?) seals are white. I have made an appointment with the SC.

I’m a bit hesitant to tell the SC that I saw the seal. Worried that they might deny the warranty by claiming that I messed with it! Maybe I’ll just tell them I heard that this is a common cause.
Glad I could help out. I created this thread because I wanted to know if it was just me and my MY that made this awful noise, but unfortunately it’s not.
Yea your PPS is definitely off quite a bit.

Reactions: CMTwinDad
Dropped my car off on Wednesday and they said the tech is done with the diagnosis. I also sent them the picture from this thread. SA says they should be done by Mon or Tues. They are waiting to put it on a lift rack, but they share one for the whole shop? Annoying that it takes almost a week for something like this to get resolved.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
Dropped my car off on Wednesday and they said the tech is done with the diagnosis. I also sent them the picture from this thread. SA says they should be done by Mon or Tues. They are waiting to put it on a lift rack, but they share one for the whole shop? Annoying that it takes almost a week for something like this to get resolved.
Better than them taking 20 minutes to tell you it’s within spec. Now I have to go back again

• Funny
Reactions: oghowie
Got my invoice with tech's comments. Happy with the troubleshooting they did and that they didn't just "within spec" it. I'll be going back July 15 to fix this issue and have my rear left seatback replaced for a different issue (won't drop down automatically when the button on the hatch is pressed)

View attachment 820709
That’s great news! Thank you for the update. This makes me optimistic that Raleigh SC will take mine seriously as well. I have an appointment in two weeks.

So I had my appointment at the Raleigh SC today. It was made for this issue and an issue with one of my rear seats not dropping down when the button on the hatch is pressed. It was a madhouse out there with the end-of-quarter push. Parking lot was overflowing and there were a lot of people there for service as well.

I dropped the car off in the morning and used the Uber credits ($100) to head into work. They didn't get around to looking at the car till around 5pm. They couldn't fix either of the issues today but the 1-sentence update mentioned that they have ordered parts to address both of my issues and now I have a follow-up appointment for the 15th of July. So that sounds promising in that they haven't just tried to pass this off with a "within spec" response. It might have helped that I'd messaged them well in advance with a heads-up that the penthouse perimeter seal is the likely culprit.

So fingers crossed for whenever my follow-up appointment happens. I'm just really glad that I love close by to my SC. This would all have been very frustrating and inconvenient if I lived a few hours away given how backed up they are and needing to go back again.
They picked too small of a place for their new service center. The parking lot sucks. They told me cars get hit all the time from transport.

They picked too small of a place for their new service center. The parking lot sucks. They told me cars get hit all the time from transport.
Yeah, agreed. Parking lot is a mess. There were tons of cars double parked and not a lot of space to drive around the lot. Then again, they're stuck because of idiotic NC laws and the dealership mafia. Not sure they can really do much to change the situation.

You should see the Henrietta NY SC! Entering/Exiting is a nightmare because it’s located about 20ft from an on-ramp and the parking lot is shared with 3 other businesses, it’s so small. I don’t know what they were thinking when they located it here, so many other available buildings. Maybe someday we will get one of them fancy SC like we see online.

My moms Y suffers from this noise. Seems most prevalent around 35 MPH but goes away around 45 MPH.

I would figure if my moms Y suffered from a bad perimeter seal, it would be constant once it shows up. Could this point to a bad ground strap instead?

Got my invoice with tech's comments. Happy with the troubleshooting they did and that they didn't just "within spec" it. I'll be going back July 15 to fix this issue and have my rear left seatback replaced for a different issue (won't drop down automatically when the button on the hatch is pressed)

View attachment 820709
You, Ben W, 3YMimi73 and 4 others Thanks all for the thread and details. I have the same whine in my new Model Y Performance. My woes new MY Long range does not and my older Model Y Performance did not have it either. Please keep this updated with your outcomes from the repair. I have a scheduled appointment in FL on July 6th to discuss. Thanks in advance Larry

My moms Y suffers from this noise. Seems most prevalent around 35 MPH but goes away around 45 MPH.

I would figure if my moms Y suffered from a bad perimeter seal, it would be constant once it shows up. Could this point to a bad ground strap instead?
Might be the latter. I think if it was a sealing issue, you should hear it across a wide range of speeds.

Picked up my car today and they fixed the issue. Notes on the invoice say "Correction: Interior / Trim / Seal Adjustment - 0.3." Nothing about the penthouse perimeter seal. Just glad the noise is gone and you only hear it during hard acceleration now.

Unfortunately, my review mirror has some weird damage to it now. Not sure if it was because the car was parked outside in 100 degree weather all weekend or what?

IMG_9661.JPG

Picked up my car today and they fixed the issue. Notes on the invoice say "Correction: Interior / Trim / Seal Adjustment - 0.3." Nothing about the penthouse perimeter seal. Just glad the noise is gone and you only hear it during hard acceleration now.

Unfortunately, my review mirror has some weird damage to it now. Not sure if it was because the car was parked outside in 100 degree weather all weekend or what?

View attachment 821777
What the heck happened to the mirror? Did you tell them about it? Dang, you can’t catch a break.
I’m glad the noise is gone though 😊

No idea, but I scheduled a mobile tech to come out and look at it this weekend. You can't see anything out of the Y rear window anyways. lol
I’ve heard people say this but I don’t seem to have a problem seeing. Perhaps it’s because I’m only 5ft tall 😂

I’m curious if Tesla Mobile Service comes out to my house in the boonies-not that I want to find out. Good Luck with you mirror!

Unfortunately, my review mirror has some weird damage to it now. Not sure if it was because the car was parked outside in 100 degree weather all weekend or
That’s great they fixed the noise. Never seen an auto dimming mirror do that. They have a liquid crystal layer in them, and it look like it has an internal leak or something. I’m sure they’ll replace it under warranty. I see you indicated they are sending mobile service. At least you won’t have to pay another visit to the SC.

Had my second service appointment for the whining noise issue this week.
Unfortunately, the technician said the noise is not excessive and it's normal drive unit sound. I told him that the perimeter seal might be installed correctly, but he claimed to fix the seal he has to drop the battery pack and he doesn't think it would help.
At this point, i have run out of my ways, i might just sell this car. This is a terrible experience.