Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up cancelling my 3rd service appointment knowing it might give me another disappointment.
So I brought a 1 inch thick * 1 inch wide foam strip (it's around $10 on amazon) and stuffed it into the gap between the rear motor and the housing which It i believe is where the noise comes from for my car.
It reduces 95% of the noise and it can only hear the noise at 50mph when floor the pedal but it lasts less than 0.5 sec, so i'm okay with it.
I can finally enjoy driving the car now.

It's the same sound I had. the tech noted it's a known issue with 2022 rear drive motors. Sometimes they forget to put the proper sound barrier/insulation over the motor.
Mateo83 I picked my 2022 Performance Y up and still has the sound. They said it wasn't the penthouse seal. I need other suggestions or summary for everyone of all the different iterations of the noise to help the entire community. I did notice that it is harder to hear with the AC blowing hard (summer in FL), so will be checking that out as a suggestion to turn off when evaluating. Also when I picked up my car it was down to 20% charge, so not sure if it is more pronounced at higher charge. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have 2 other MYs that do not have the noise one 2020 Performance and the other 2022 MYLR.

Mateo83 I picked my 2022 Performance Y up and still has the sound. They said it wasn't the penthouse seal. I need other suggestions or summary for everyone of all the different iterations of the noise to help the entire community. I did notice that it is harder to hear with the AC blowing hard (summer in FL), so will be checking that out as a suggestion to turn off when evaluating. Also when I picked up my car it was down to 20% charge, so not sure if it is more pronounced at higher charge. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have 2 other MYs that do not have the noise one 2020 Performance and the other 2022 MYLR.
Try dropping the rear seats flat and driving around to compare if it reduces the sound. If it does, it almost certainly has to do with noise isolation between the rear motor and the cabin (which is the rear seat bench area). If that ends up being the case, you might want to try what @shzhang mentioned above in terms of trying to add some sound insulation by yourself and seeing if it helps

I ended up cancelling my 3rd service appointment knowing it might give me another disappointment.
So I brought a 1 inch thick * 1 inch wide foam strip (it's around $10 on amazon) and stuffed it into the gap between the rear motor and the housing which It i believe is where the noise comes from for my car.
It reduces 95% of the noise and it can only hear the noise at 50mph when floor the pedal but it lasts less than 0.5 sec, so i'm okay with it.
I can finally enjoy driving the car now.
Glad you're enjoying your car. I did the same and what a difference. What product did you end up choosing for the rear gap. I bought air conditioner foam block seal. some areas were hard to stuff than others. I inserted foam tubing on the fronts as well for good measure and the sound is actually softer than the other Model Y now.

Reactions: CMTwinDad
All EVs have high frequency motor noise. Really annoying, imo! Some Teslas are known to have improperly placed sound insulation in the area between rear motor and the cabin. Something to investigate.

I recently read an industry article from Siemens that said they need to reconsider how they measure NVH in cars. Despite being very quiet on a decibel meter those high frequency sounds are grating on the ears. Alarms, babies crying, etc. tend to be high pitched. We’re sensitive to those frequencies for evolutionary reasons.

I analyzed audio from a BMW iX review and saw a clear 3300 Hz static tone. :(

Glad you're enjoying your car. I did the same and what a difference. What product did you end up choosing for the rear gap. I bought air conditioner foam block seal. some areas were hard to stuff than others. I inserted foam tubing on the fronts as well for good measure and the sound is actually softer than the other Model Y now.
I also have a visibly misplaced perimeter seal. I have an appointment next week at the service center. I just now stuffed a foam block for a window AC unit in the gap where the seal is misplaced (perfect fit) and the high pitched noise is gone! What a relief. I am probably going to cancel my appointment and just keep the foam block there.

I used the same thing, but i don't put it in the front gap, do you think it's useful?
I only put the real, and it's already making a big difference.

Just picked up my car today after dropping off for my service appointment yesterday morning and after they replaced the seal the sound is gone! I only hear the faintest whine when hitting the throttle at low speeds but that's very short lived and isn't bothersome at all. But the constant dentist drill whine is now gone. Really glad to have this resolved and really happy with the Raleigh SC so far.

Just picked up my car today after dropping off for my service appointment yesterday morning and after they replaced the seal the sound is gone! I only hear the faintest whine when hitting the throttle at low speeds but that's very short lived and isn't bothersome at all. But the constant dentist drill whine is now gone. Really glad to have this resolved and really happy with the Raleigh SC so far.
Yay!!! I’m so happy for you. 😊
My husband thought I was crazy for starting this thread, but I’m glad I did. Soooo many of us having this “noise!” I’m happy most of us have had our issues resolved ♥️🥰

Reactions: orion2001
All EVs have high frequency motor noise. Really annoying, imo! Some Teslas are known to have improperly placed sound insulation in the area between rear motor and the cabin. Something to investigate.

I recently read an industry article from Siemens that said they need to reconsider how they measure NVH in cars. Despite being very quiet on a decibel meter those high frequency sounds are grating on the ears. Alarms, babies crying, etc. tend to be high pitched. We’re sensitive to those frequencies for evolutionary reasons.

I analyzed audio from a BMW iX review and saw a clear 3300 Hz static tone. :(
BUT when you have a 2021 M3LR and get into a 2022 MYLR and you hear a distinct high pitched dentist drill noise or whatever you want to call it and it annoys the crap/piss out of you, something is clearly wrong.
I have both parked in my garage and when I heard the noise coming from my MYLR, I knew immediately something wasn’t right. Service appointment scheduled and it’s fixed now.
I shouldn’t have had to made an appointment 4 days after picking up a brand new vehicle.

I have a 22 myp in Raleigh and I have a sound around 50mph. It’s not super bothersome to me but I have noticed it time to time. Did you check the perimeter seal yourself first before bringing it in? How long were you without a car in total? Did they give you a loaner?

BUT when you have a 2021 M3LR and get into a 2022 MYLR and you hear a distinct high pitched dentist drill noise or whatever you want to call it and it annoys the crap/piss out of you, something is clearly wrong.
I have both parked in my garage and when I heard the noise coming from my MYLR, I knew immediately something wasn’t right. Service appointment scheduled and it’s fixed now.
I shouldn’t have had to made an appointment 4 days after picking up a brand new vehicle.
I had a similar complaint about my '19 M3LR, dentist drill resonance around 40-44 mph, and 80-84 mph. Well documented here on TMC.
Drove a Model Y and the motor sound was present at all times. Wow was that annoying. From what I've read the TM3 uses a silicon carbide inverter in the rear motor (which does most of the work). The benefit is ultra high "switching frequencies," so in other words the frequencies are well beyond our hearing range.

I despise the dentist drill sound, so I really sympathize with TMY owners that have to put up with it. I have sensitive ears and hear it faintly in every EV on the market.

I have a 22 myp in Raleigh and I have a sound around 50mph. It’s not super bothersome to me but I have noticed it time to time. Did you check the perimeter seal yourself first before bringing it in? How long were you without a car in total? Did they give you a loaner?
I did not try to check the perimeter seal myself but I did confirm that folding the rear seats drastically reduced the sound which indicated a sealing issue below the rear seats (where the perimeter seal is).

I'm not sure if your issue is identical. With the seal issue on my car, I heard the whine uniformly across 20mph - 80+ mph with the frequency of the sound increasing at higher speeds. It was a constant dentist drill type whine, exacerbated when on the throttle.

They needed my car for 2 days even though they estimated one (they are always very busy due to only having a couple of SCs in NC). They pretty much don't do loaners any more but you get $100 of Uber credits per day while the car is in the shop. Drop off / pick-up is all seamless and "remote" as they use geolocation to automatically check you in when you arrive and provide the Uber credits automatically.

To be honest, if I were you and this wasn't really bothering me, I'd probably not try to have it looked at at the SC. If they did decide to replace the seal, it is a pretty invasive procedure with them having to drop the battery pack. There is always a chance any work on this might start some new issue. I might try lifting the rest seat bench and installing some sound insulation foam and liners like others have reported doing on this thread. If this is already not very bothersome, that might provide sufficient relief to address the issue for you.

For starters though, try folding the rear seats and see if that reduces the whine a fair bit.

Reactions: bpobill
I did not try to check the perimeter seal myself but I did confirm that folding the rear seats drastically reduced the sound which indicated a sealing issue below the rear seats (where the perimeter seal is).

I'm not sure if your issue is identical. With the seal issue on my car, I heard the whine uniformly across 20mph - 80+ mph with the frequency of the sound increasing at higher speeds. It was a constant dentist drill type whine, exacerbated when on the throttle.

They needed my car for 2 days even though they estimated one (they are always very busy due to only having a couple of SCs in NC). They pretty much don't do loaners any more but you get $100 of Uber credits per day while the car is in the shop. Drop off / pick-up is all seamless and "remote" as they use geolocation to automatically check you in when you arrive and provide the Uber credits automatically.

To be honest, if I were you and this wasn't really bothering me, I'd probably not try to have it looked at at the SC. If they did decide to replace the seal, it is a pretty invasive procedure with them having to drop the battery pack. There is always a chance any work on this might start some new issue. I might try lifting the rest seat bench and installing some sound insulation foam and liners like others have reported doing on this thread. If this is already not very bothersome, that might provide sufficient relief to address the issue for you.

For starters though, try folding the rear seats and see if that reduces the whine a fair bit.
Thanks. I really only hear mine when cruising around 50mph. Its sounds more like a normal electric motor whine than a dentist drill. I had an m3p before this and it didnt make this sound. Its kind of loud but not very bothersome. Doesnt sound like its a perimeter seal issue.

This used to be me every day after picking up my MYLR last month :D.

1658154305743.png

Just drove into work today and it was perfect. Such a relief to get this all sorted out. Now I can go back to just enjoying the car!

My mom's Y goes in Wednesday for the noise. Hoping it is just the bonding strap than perimeter seal given it is just present from 30-45 MPH.

Given the small range, it does give me pause to have them replace the seal given the invasive nature of it.