Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I picked up my car today and it definitely sounds different. The 50-60mph consistent whine is almost completely gone, but there is a whine when accelerating that will hopefully calm down a bit once I drive more. It's nowhere near as loud and it's probably just my sensitive hearing making it louder than it really is. I drove the car 250 miles from Indy to a client in Illinois and back so I was definitely able to confirm the changes in sound.

They took 5 days to diagnose and repair this and the repair notes state they replaced the entire rear drive unit. That's a pretty intense fix for being "within spec" a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Ok I picked up my car today and it definitely sounds different. The 50-60mph consistent whine is almost completely gone, but there is a whine when accelerating that will hopefully calm down a bit once I drive more. It's nowhere near as loud and it's probably just my sensitive hearing making it louder than it really is. I drove the car 250 miles from Indy to a client in Illinois and back so I was definitely able to confirm the changes in sound.

They took 5 days to diagnose and repair this and the repair notes state they replaced the entire rear drive unit. That's a pretty intense fix for being "within spec" a few weeks ago.
Glad you got your car back!
So it wasn’t the PPS, it was the rear drive unit?! That’s crazy that they really didn’t want to fix it when you took it in at first. Being persistent pays off for sure!
Have fun and enjoy your Tesla 😊

Got the within spec/nothing wrong with the car response and charged $97..... yay.....

Not going to push it given the small range the noise presents itself. If it gets louder or starts to expand in speed range, then might revisit and push. But it is now documented as well.

Plus we were iffy on doing the repair if it was the perimeter seal given it was only present during a small speed range and the drawbacks of them not putting the car back together correctly creating a bigger annoyance than the sound. Was mostly hoping if it was the bonding strap.

And folding the rear seats down did not change anything either.

I hope Tesla knows about this issue and fixes it before I take delivery
The truth unfortunately is that Tesla doesn't really care. Their focus is in pushing out as many vehicles from their factories as fast as possible. Those are the numbers that matter and they don't really care if several customers have to rely on their local SCs to address issues related to sloppiness around manufacturing.

I really like my car, but I have not been impressed with the QC and attention to detail on their cars. Here are some of the issues I had with my brand new car when I picked it up:

1. High pitched whine due to improper installation of penthouse perimeter seal
  2. Back seats would not fold or respond to button press in the hatch. Turns out they never hooked up a cable under the trim in the rear at the factory 😕
  3. Coat hanger hook won't latch up again. Mobile service tech couldn't really fix it and his attempt was rather invasive (trim and rubber seal removal) so I didn't bother pursuing any further and my kids have just been instructed to not play with the coat hanger buttons
  4. Headlight alignment is not very even. It's "fine" but looks comically bad when I pull up in front of my garage door and looks 10x worse than default alignment of all my super budget cars I've owned to date.
Still love my car and it is a lot of fun to drive. But if I didn't live 15 minutes away from a good SC, I would probably have soured on them a bit already. I'm looking forward to competition over the next few years hopefully forcing Tesla to up their game on the quality control and service side of things.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
The truth unfortunately is that Tesla doesn't really care. Their focus is in pushing out as many vehicles from their factories as fast as possible. Those are the numbers that matter and they don't really care if several customers have to rely on their local SCs to address issues related to sloppiness around manufacturing.

I really like my car, but I have not been impressed with the QC and attention to detail on their cars. Here are some of the issues I had with my brand new car when I picked it up:

2. Back seats would not fold or respond to button press in the hatch. Turns out they never hooked up a cable under the trim in the rear at the factory 😕
  3. Coat hanger hook won't latch up again. Mobile service tech couldn't really fix it and his attempt was rather invasive (trim and rubber seal removal) so I didn't bother pursuing any further and my kids have just been instructed to not play with the coat hanger buttons
  4. Headlight alignment is not very even. It's "fine" but looks comically bad when I pull up in front of my garage door and looks 10x worse than default alignment of all my super budget cars I've owned to date.
Still love my car and it is a lot of fun to drive. But if I didn't live 15 minutes away from a good SC, I would probably have soured on them a bit already. I'm looking forward to competition over the next few years hopefully forcing Tesla to up their game on the quality control and service side of things.
Yeah the QC is very hit or miss, I experienced QC issues on my previous Y. Have you tried adjusting your headlight alignment? It can be done through the touch screen.

I tried editing my post but couldn't so I'll make a new one. 2022 MYP, had the rear drive unit replaced, and now the motor makes the identical sound to the one it replaced. I spent the morning driving and if I keep the accelerator locked in at 52mph it sounds like a dental drill in the back again. I'm going to try some sound deadening material under the seat as I have 0 confidence in this getting fixed right now by Tesla. Here's what I'm thinking of using under the rear seat. Thoughts?

Reactions: 3YMimi73
I tried editing my post but couldn't so I'll make a new one. 2022 MYP, had the rear drive unit replaced, and now the motor makes the identical sound to the one it replaced. I spent the morning driving and if I keep the accelerator locked in at 52mph it sounds like a dental drill in the back again. I'm going to try some sound deadening material under the seat as I have 0 confidence in this getting fixed right now by Tesla. Here's what I'm thinking of using under the rear seat. Thoughts?

Did they have a look at the perimeter seal yet? If it's been installed improperly you'll hear that sound.

The penthouse perimeter seal sits below the rear seats and requires the battery to be dropped to be replaced. If they haven't done that yet refer them to this thread and have them take a look at it.
Yeah they did that on my first drive unit and it didn't fix the issue so they just replaced the entire rear drive unit. Looks like they need to investigate this one as well. This car is only 6 weeks old and will have been in 3 times for service.

My drivers side headlight was sticking way out, it wasn’t flush like the passenger side one. So when I took it to the SC to have the PPS fixed, I told them to fix the headlight as well. Come to find out they had to adjust the bumper not the headlight 🤦🏻‍♀️
Yes the QC on these cars is subpar for what we all pay for them. But it is a fun car drive and well we don’t have to pay for gas!

Oh no!