Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had some motor noises in my 2018 M3LR that were somewhat bothersome…would have thought such noises would have been minimized by now. Since my closest SC is 200 miles away I’m beginning to think I should just cancel my order. Who wants to mess with these types of ongoing problems on a brand new car. Geez…my last new vehicle was a 2020 Jeep Wrangler….and it’s been nearly problem free, I would expect far better from a Tesla. Given the protracted delivery schedule I suspect I have 4 or 5 months to make my decision about cancellation.

I had some motor noises in my 2018 M3LR that were somewhat bothersome…would have thought such noises would have been minimized by now. Since my closest SC is 200 miles away I’m beginning to think I should just cancel my order. Who wants to mess with these types of ongoing problems on a brand new car. Geez…my last new vehicle was a 2020 Jeep Wrangler….and it’s been nearly problem free, I would expect far better from a Tesla. Given the protracted delivery schedule I suspect I have 4 or 5 months to make my decision about cancellation.
I hear you. I’ve owned 2 Jeep Wranglers (still own an 04 TJ) and neither one of them have ever had any issues. This is very frustrating and a pain in the a$$ to deal with. I’ve had my MYP 5 weeks and 1 of those it’s spent at Tesla getting a new rear drive unit and now it has to go back again for the same issue. For as much as these cars cost, they should at least NOT MAKE NOISE THAT HURTS.

I've had the same issue on my 2022 model y performance since we got the vehicle. Took it in to service twice and went for a test drive with a technician both times. Both times they were able to hear the noise and they kept the car.

When I went to pick the car up thinking that they would have fixed the issue they told that the noise was normal for the performance model. Not sure what to do now. The noise is very annoying especially on the highway and I can't always turn the music up due to baby sleeping during the drive.

I've had the same issue on my 2022 model y performance since we got the vehicle. Took it in to service twice and went for a test drive with a technician both times. Both times they were able to hear the noise and they kept the car.

When I went to pick the car up thinking that they would have fixed the issue they told that the noise was normal for the performance model. Not sure what to do now. The noise is very annoying especially on the highway and I can't always turn the music up due to baby sleeping during the drive.
I would take it back. It's a huge difference once you get it fixed. Mine was a misaligned penthouse seal that was adjusted (I don't think it was replaced) and now the noise is gone.

Do you have a video of the sound?

There’s also a question of miles on the car maybe? I could hear it a bit at 60-65 but now with 5,000 miles it’s dead quiet….

Unless I’ve stomped the accelerator. The only time I get the high pitched sound is under full load and I think that’s normal.

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Yeah under full load is the only time I hear that now.
There’s also a question of miles on the car maybe? I could hear it a bit at 60-65 but now with 5,000 miles it’s dead quiet….

Unless I’ve stomped the accelerator. The only time I get the high pitched sound is under full load and I think that’s normal.

Yeah under full load is the only time I hear that now.
So are you both saying that you could hear it under 5k miles but now you can’t? Assuming that the nose goes away on its own?

So are you both saying that you could hear it under 5k miles but now you can’t? Assuming that the nose goes away on its own?
It worked that way for me. I had the really high pitched drill sound when cruising at 65 ish and used radio to drown it out. It was not exceptionally loud but was really annoying. That sound has gone away now. The only time I hear the really high pitch at this point is with pedal fully down otherwise even under moderate acceleration and cruise speeds the motors are silent. I have a thing with sound too- I can’t handle them. Whines, rattles, hums would all drive me bonkers. I’d sell a car if I couldn’t stop it.

Which service location did you go to?
I have the same whining issue. Took my MYLR to West 4th location TWO times for a total of 6 days in the service center and they couldn’t fix the issue. Very long story which I may post here or in another thread specifically about the Vancouver 4th Ave service center. They are the absolute worse.

I took my car up to the service center today and they said that if there was an issue I would be able to hear the noise at any speed instead of just a certain speed. He said that they could definitely take a look at it but that they would have to charge me if they didn’t find anything wrong with the seal. He mentioned that when he drove mine it was quiet compared to others

I took my car up to the service center today and they said that if there was an issue I would be able to hear the noise at any speed instead of just a certain speed. He said that they could definitely take a look at it but that they would have to charge me if they didn’t find anything wrong with the seal. He mentioned that when he drove mine it was quiet compared to others
This is true in relation to the perimeter seal issue. If the noise insulation isn't properly installed via the seal, you hear the whine at pretty much all speeds.

Reactions: atlchamp