Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my MYLR in today, my whine noise was even louder outside the car and present at all speeds (except complete stop). Drove it for the Service Manager and he was very surprised and said it was absolutely not normal or acceptable. "Supposed" to be ready by tomorrow afternoon so hope the sound is gone and they let me know what the issue was.
Tired of people telling me how loud my car is. :(

Reactions: HSATD
The REAR drive unit, right? Clarification about what the failure is/was would be helpful for all of us. ;)
Yes, sorry about that, my noise was coming from the rear drive unit and the Service Manager said the entire rear drive unit needs to be replaced because they could not guarantee it would not fail randomly.

This is the sound I hear inside and especially outside. Might be a bit different than others here.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gyozaman and HSATD
So MYLR still in the Service Center. Part came in Wednesday but it finally changed to repairing today. I checked to see if maybe they could deliver the car to me when they are done and they said that is not something Tesla supports. I'm an hour away (hour and half with any traffic after 3pm).

I'm sitting here at the SC for the 4th time regarding this issue. They denied me on visit #1. Visit #2 they replaced the rear drive unit. Visit #3 they denied me again, and now I'm on Visit #4. Apparently Tesla has sent them a device they need to place on the arm rest and they drive the car around and the unit says if the noise is "acceptable" or not.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
A success story for me if anyone needs guidance...

My new Model Y was delivered and on day 1 had a pretty annoying high pitched whine, consistent from the 50-70mph range. It was hard to determine where exactly it was coming from as the sound would kind of envelope the whole cabin. It wasn't super loud, but sounded like I was getting my ears checked, and it was enough to hear over music, and was overall a real annoyance as I am a highway commuter. I thought I could just live with it, but after riding in a friends Y that was silent, I decided to bring it into service at 1,500 miles and hoped for the best.

Before dropping off the car, I took two rides with Tesla technicians to diagnose, and they determined the sound was not normal, and I received a loaner while they tried to repair. Worst case they said would need a full replacement of the drive unit.

The following day, I received notice that the repair was complete. The fix was "Seal - Perimeter - HV Battery (remove and replace)".

It's only been a few days but I am happy to report that the sound is no longer noticeable, job well done.

That’s great and exciting to hear your issue was resolved. I’m taking mine into service for the fourth time this weekend, but I’m not getting my hope up that it’ll be resolved.

It sounds like the issue in this thread may be similar to the one discussed in this other thread linked here. I’ve started a quick form survey to gather owner data about the vehicles impacted to see if there’s any trends and to explore next steps for those Tesla is refusing to fix. Please fill out this form if you can spare a few minutes to share some info about your vehicle, issue, and repair status. It’s really unfortunate how poorly and inconsistently Tesla is handling this issue.

That’s great and exciting to hear your issue was resolved. I’m taking mine into service for the fourth time this weekend, but I’m not getting my hope up that it’ll be resolved.

It sounds like the issue in this thread may be similar to the one discussed in this other thread linked here. I’ve started a quick form survey to gather owner data about the vehicles impacted to see if there’s any trends and to explore next steps for those Tesla is refusing to fix. Please fill out this form if you can spare a few minutes to share some info about your vehicle, issue, and repair status. It’s really unfortunate how poorly and inconsistently Tesla is handling this issue.

Have you driven other Teslas under the same circumstances (roads, wind conditions, no music/HVAC) and found others were free of this issue or at least clearly more tolerable?

Have you driven other Teslas under the same circumstances (roads, wind conditions, no music/HVAC) and found others were free of this issue or at least clearly more tolerable?
Yes, I have driven other Teslas under the same conditions and have not heard this sound before. It’s audible even with wind/hvac/road conditions, and matches several other owners’ experience detailed in the other thread.

This is the third EV I’ve purchased in the last 9 months. Granted the other two are not Teslas, but they feature one pedal drive and get similar usage. I’m convinced it’s bad bearings in the front drive unit and not the brakes/rotor from limited usage due to one pedal drive as the last service tech tried to pin it on as being “within spec.” This is definitely the worst of the three in terms of build quality and customer service I’ve experienced since moving to EVs. Tesla’s technology is hands down superior, but I’m not convinced it’s worth this kind of headache.

I ended up cancelling my 3rd service appointment knowing it might give me another disappointment.
So I brought a 1 inch thick * 1 inch wide foam strip (it's around $10 on amazon) and stuffed it into the gap between the rear motor and the housing which It i believe is where the noise comes from for my car.
It reduces 95% of the noise and it can only hear the noise at 50mph when floor the pedal but it lasts less than 0.5 sec, so i'm okay with it.
I can finally enjoy driving the car now.
Can you share a pic ?

A success story for me if anyone needs guidance...

My new Model Y was delivered and on day 1 had a pretty annoying high pitched whine, consistent from the 50-70mph range. It was hard to determine where exactly it was coming from as the sound would kind of envelope the whole cabin. It wasn't super loud, but sounded like I was getting my ears checked, and it was enough to hear over music, and was overall a real annoyance as I am a highway commuter. I thought I could just live with it, but after riding in a friends Y that was silent, I decided to bring it into service at 1,500 miles and hoped for the best.

Before dropping off the car, I took two rides with Tesla technicians to diagnose, and they determined the sound was not normal, and I received a loaner while they tried to repair. Worst case they said would need a full replacement of the drive unit.

The following day, I received notice that the repair was complete. The fix was "Seal - Perimeter - HV Battery (remove and replace)".

It's only been a few days but I am happy to report that the sound is no longer noticeable, job well done.
Hi, sorry in advance as I'm asking loads of people the same questions, but the noise is driving me mad. When you say you no longer have the sound between 50 and 70 is that even under hard acceleration?

Hi, sorry in advance as I'm asking loads of people the same questions, but the noise is driving me mad. When you say you no longer have the sound between 50 and 70 is that even under hard acceleration?
Take your car in and ask them to check the penthouse perimeter seal. That solved many people's noise issues here. You will still hear it during heavy acceleration, but that is normal.

Cheers I have today and been told its with in tolerance. I suppose I'll just keep taking it back till they get sick of me enough to actually check the seal.
The guy that took the ride with me said the noise was normal. Told him a friend of mine got it replaced and it fixed the sound, which got him to change his mind. Just insist they look at it. It makes a huge difference.

Reactions: s_zigmond
You will hear a high pitched whirl to some degree under hard acceleration, there is nothing you can do about that. my issue was a constant sound in that speed range regardless of input. Hard acceleration will not be silent.