TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

High frequency rattle from sides of center console plastic sides

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DCEV, Jul 7, 2019.

1. DCEV

DCEV Member

I hear an intermittent high frequency rattle from the plastic sides of the center console and wondering if anyone has had this issue resolved. I can make the sides of the center console rattle just by shaking the sides so I guess this is what happens when going over an uneven surface.

Is this something I can fix or do I need to go to the service center?

2. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

"It's a feature, not a bug." If banging on it doesn't seat whatever is loose or rubbing together, the SC may be able to help you, but I hear they charge to repair rattles or something like that.

3. DCEV

DCEV Member

Wait, what? I've barely had my car a few months so I expect them to fix the rattle under warranty. It's honestly crazy if fixing a rattle under warranty on a new car should even be a question.

I'm waiting to bundle this with something else so I'm not going to the SC just for the rattle. I'm hoping to combine fixing the rattle with the yellow display defect, and perhaps HW 3.0 unless the rattle starts bugging me more.

Has anyone else had any experience with resolving a rattle coming from the center console? It seems the sides of the console are hard plastic and I feel it's the creaking of these side panels that is causing the high frequency rattle.

4. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

There is a thread on here somewhere about how rattles are now handled, but last I looked they will charge you @$175 diagnostic fee until it is determined that it is a warranty issue. They are overwhelmed with rattles, as it is a common feature. I've got them too. Yes, you have a new car. Welcome to Tesla.

5. BPeter

BPeter Member

It really depends on your SC I think, and maybe there is that "1 year rattle warranty" that people are supposedly claiming. I took delivery of my car 3 months ago as new inventory and just yesterday dropped it off at my SC to attempt (for the third time) to fix my creaking roof. No mention of charging me anything nor did they charge me for my previous two attempts. Gave me a P85D loaner too. My service center seems pretty great, maybe because they aren't TOO busy?

6. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

I've had rattles fixed under warranty with no issue. I'm sure they'll take care of your rattle. Any rattles should be covered during the new warranty period.

If you get any push back or nonsense about a "diagnostic fee" for warranty coverage, ask them to put that in writing so you can find a remedy.

7. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

I got the "diagnostic fee" notice when scheduling service via the app, so it is in writing.

8. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

Perhaps it is a generic text template that you often sign when dropping a car off at the dealer.

No way would I pay a diagnostic fee to fix a rattle in a brand new car I bought. I'd fight that tooth and nail.

Asking a ~$100K new car to be rattle free is not too much to ask.