Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High in the Rockies (Cottonwood's Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've heard that pressing and holding the top center of the FOB will open the windows (as I recall).

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I just went out to the garage and did a test. One click on the top of the fob locks the car, double click on the top of the fob unlocks the car, and pressing and holding the top of the fob opens the windows.

- - - Updated - - -

This is way more concerning than cup holders...

Yes, the door not opening, with the handle extended, is very concerning. The next time we get a low 40's night, I will leave the car out to cold soak and try again.

Last edited:
Yes, the door not opening, with the handle extended, is very concerning. The next time we get a low 40's night, I will leave the car out to cold soak and try again.

Thanks for all of this information. One question: I assume you didn't put gloves on after the handles came out, correct? If the inside of the handle has capacitive sensing for unlatching the car, then of course it wouldn't work. Just a thought.

I'm curious to know if it made any sound at all (i.e., like it was "trying to work"). Maybe just some sort of lubricant gets gummy when cold? If it made no sound at all, it sounds more like a bad connection.

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I just went out to the garage and did a test. One click on the top of the fob locks the car, double click on the top of the fob unlocks the car, and pressing and holding the top of the fob opens the windows.

This is causing some concern. I own a Fisker Karma and keeping the open button pressed down for more than two seconds opens all windows. However, this also happens when you carry the fob in a (tight) pocket and you're sitting somewhere in your house. I've had this 4 times already, and luckily I found out in time (but sometimes only after a few hours). One time it was raining and even though the windows were open for just a few minutes the interior got soaked. Can you imagine what happens when they stay open all night in the rain?! I do hope that the Model S key fob is not as sensitive, and won't open all windows by accident.

I'm curious to know if it made any sound at all (i.e., like it was "trying to work"). Maybe just some sort of lubricant gets gummy when cold? If it made no sound at all, it sounds more like a bad connection.

Nope, no sound. I was like pulling on a handle welded to the car. Also, no gloves, but again, the handle extended, but the door would not open.

So, how is the Cottonwood story going? Any updates?

Continuing very well. I did a round trip from Boulder to Pagosa and back. Range was as expected, but there are still a few missing kW-hr in the accounting. Stopped at nice RV parks each way.

I am planning to head out to do some track driving; see Colorado Track Day - November 3, 2012. If anyone is in the area, come on out and join us. I will try to keep track of the charging and Wh/mi usage on the track. The Roadster has a serious problem with overheating the PEM in hard track driving. We will see how the MSP does with its liquid cooled PEM. I think it will do very well, but we will see.

Fun report. I live in Evergreen, CO so I am looking forward to using the regen braking while descending I-70 toward Golden/Morrison. Also, when it's open in the spring, I'm taking my Model S (due in Jan/Feb) up Mt. Evans at 14,256 elevation, which is the highest paved road in North America, so then I can claim the elevation record at that point. Congratulations! If you're toward Evergreen with your gorgeous S, let met know if you'd like to met up.

Fun report. I live in Evergreen, CO so I am looking forward to using the regen braking while descending I-70 toward Golden/Morrison. Also, when it's open in the spring, I'm taking my Model S (due in Jan/Feb) up Mt. Evans at 14,256 elevation, which is the highest paved road in North America, so then I can claim the elevation record at that point. Congratulations! If you're toward Evergreen with your gorgeous S, let met know if you'd like to met up.

We should totally do a Tesla S caravan up Mt Evans next spring. Your idea, so you get to lead and claim the record.:biggrin: It would be fun and make a great photo op with a bunch of us in front of the sign showing the elevation. And on the way down we will try and set a new record for silly-high range numbers...

We should totally do a Tesla S caravan up Mt Evans next spring. Your idea, so you get to lead and claim the record.:biggrin: It would be fun and make a great photo op with a bunch of us in front of the sign showing the elevation. And on the way down we will try and set a new record for silly-high range numbers...

I accept. I will post something in the Spring on the Colorado Region section about this caravan. Folks better have the air suspension option as the road is a POS. I know because I ride my bicycle up the climb 3-4 times per year, inccluding the Bob Cook Memorial Hill Climb Race, and I hate descending afterwards due to the heaves and holes in the road. Should be a fun experience in the fall. To be continued.

Sounds like fun. I already took my Roadster up there in the summer of 2009, so it will be the first Model S, but not the first Tesla. I will have to find the pictures somewhere. I also road my bicycle up there several years ago.

It was coming down Mt Evans in the Roadster that I found the funny 3 miles at a time regen behavior, which the Model S has as well. When you are adding regen energy to the battery, the Teslas don't display any added energy until you have 3 miles, then the rated range goes up 3, this just keeps going 3 miles at a time. If you don't get 3 or if you are in a part of the 3, then as you start driving, it will take a while for the rated miles to start down. This is a very curious dead-zone in the display.

Looks like a fun trip this spring, but depending on Snow, it can be midJune before the snow is cleared from the road.

We'll have to plan the "Model S Mt. Evans Road Rally" for June or even July. I can check the road conditions before setting the date, which will probably need to be weather dependent since anything can happen (snow) even in July.

I am taking suggests for the rally. Initially I think we should meet up at the Clear Creek County Middle School (the old High School) just south of I-70 on HWY 103 past the Forrest Ranger Station. I like this spot as the school's parking lot will allow us to park all our Ss side-by-side-by-side... This will be an awesome picture. Plus, our car's owners can bond before the 28.5 mile uphill trek from 7000 ft to 14,256 ft above sea level. Then after the event, Beau Jo's Pizza in Idaho Springs!
Comments/suggestions?