Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High insurance costs or more FUD...

How much do you pay for insurance per month?

• <$100

Votes: 68 48.9%
  • $100-200

Votes: 60 43.2%
  • $200-300

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • >$300

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn’t really matter how much we pay, since everyone’s policy, discounts and record is different. It’s more important how it compares to other cars for the same person.
Exactly this!

To quote from The Top 100 Common Questions - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion
Q: How much will my insurance cost? How much are you paying for insurance, I want to compare to see if I'm paying a fair price?

Please don't ask that question. Ever. It is the most useless question that can be asked on this or any other automotive forum. Why? What you, I and anybody else pays is dependent on several factors: who your insurer is, where you live, how old you are, how many accidents/tickets you've had, what kind of discounts you get from your ins. company, how many cars and drivers in your family, etc.

As you can see, unless somebody is in exactly the same socio-economic situation as you are, they won't be paying the same for insurance. The only way to get a decent idea of what you'll pay is to call your current insurance agent or visit their website.
In some states, insurance companies are even allowed to use your credit rating to determine your rates.

I can speak from personal experience that insurance in the Seattle area on the same vehicle, person (me) and w/the same insurance company is much cheaper than in the SF Bay Area. One of my roommates when living in WA also temporarily changed his insurance from the LA area to the Seattle area, cutting his insurance in half or more.

It is useful to say something like (for the same individual, identical coverage and identical area): x company was more expensive than y company.

I just got a quote from AAA in SoCal and the insurance will be $2000/year. More than double my 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (652/yr), 2007 GMC Sierra Diesel Truck (588/yr), and wife's 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe (623/yr). Same coverage on all cars. Need to look for a new insurance company!
Find a new company. AAA can change my wife’s tire but they don’t need to insure our cars.

Well, something is wrong with my insurance then, because it doubled when I added the Model 3. My Leaf is $440 per 6 months and my Ram 1500 is $420 for 6 months. My Tesla is $821.

However, my problem might be the multi-car discount only applies to 2 cars, so that might have been my issue. I'll find out in December when I go to renew, because I'll be back down to 2 cars.

Well, something is wrong with my insurance then, because it doubled when I added the Model 3. My Leaf is $440 per 6 months and my Ram 1500 is $420 for 6 months. My Tesla is $821.

However, my problem might be the multi-car discount only applies to 2 cars, so that might have been my issue. I'll find out in December when I go to renew, because I'll be back down to 2 cars.

We're $879/ 6-mo., so you aren't too far off. (Wife is primary driver, low annual mileage, multi-car disco, defensive driving course, renters insurance, PAP and clean records). We also live in a very high rate of accidents area. When I moved from a quieter county our rates went up $500+/year.

As I've said before, the rate is only $44/6-mo. more than our XV Crosstrek Hybrid.

Last edited:
USAA was slightly cheaper (maybe $20/year) for the Model 3 than my 2016 Volvo S60 T6...exact same coverage. Of course, YMMV.

I think this is purely FUD -- people are likely comparing apples and oranges (e.g. coverage levels) in the interest of generating alarming headlines. As someone pointed out, the amount someone else pays is irrelevant -- everyone's price for a particular car will be different even with the same insurer and same coverage, based on driving history, age, sex, credit rating, multi-car discounts, homeowner discounts, location, number of miles driven and probably a bunch of other things that insurance companies use to assess risk. You should be comparing the Model 3 to an equivalent mid-size luxury car (e.g. BMW 3-series, Audi A4, Volvo S60, Mercedes C-Class) with equivalent coverage under YOUR circumstances. If your insurance company is charging too much based on the same coverage on a similar car, then you should probably shop around -- that seems like common sense.

Last edited:
What company did you switch to?

We had AAA until we bought Teslas. They wanted $2500 a year per car. Nope. We switched to Ameriprise via Costco. I have had to deal with them for 1 major wreck and while it was slow and painful (took over a month just to total my completely wrecked car), they did eventually pay out. I just figure I will save the extra $1000 per year and spend that on time off work, etc when I do have to file a claim.

To the subject of the thread, we pay $4500 per year for a P85D, a Model 3LR and one 2006 Tacoma. Clean records, just living in LA County and driving two of the cars 30k miles per year. The Teslas were more expensive than our prior cars to insure. (And yes, I shopped around with everyone but the crappy companies).