Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High insurance costs or more FUD...

How much do you pay for insurance per month?

• <$100

Votes: 68 48.9%
  • $100-200

Votes: 60 43.2%
  • $200-300

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • >$300

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also a lot of what insurance rips you off... er uh charges - is based on

- where is the car garaged
- where/how is it driven (commute, pleasure)
- miles per year expected
- how many drivers for that car
- other cars on policy (we get multicar discount)
- tracking features in the car (loJack, Tesla's built in etc)
- driver training (I see that for students, i can't imagine what it means to us grown ups at this point, probably they don't consider a racing license training as a positive drivers class ! :)

I base this on the questions/buttons I can check off for USAA

For s**ts and giggles, I got quotes for a Model 3 with my parents as the sole operators, no me. Both in their early 50s, one speeding ticket 6 years ago. Southern California. Better than my quote of $400+/month, but still expensive at $250/month - Geico, State Farm, and LM all around that price.

High insurance costs all over the country may not be FUD, but it appears to be a reality in Southern California. My parents were right in telling me to stay away from luxury vehicles. Smarter to just find a used Volt or Leaf.

I just got a quote from AAA in SoCal and the insurance will be $2000/year. More than double my 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (652/yr), 2007 GMC Sierra Diesel Truck (588/yr), and wife's 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe (623/yr). Same coverage on all cars. Need to look for a new insurance company!

From AAA my rate went up almost $1900 / year over my current 2017 Honda Civic fully loaded $25000. I have a friend that had Statefarm and drives a ford focus and got the M3 and his rate went up about $300 / year. I am starting to think this is an AAA thing. My agent told me everyone else is the same and the Tesla's are a lot more to insure. I have my house, boats and both cars on the plan with nothing on record and just my wife and I. I have been with them for over 30 years. I wish I didn't have to change carriers but this is BS.

I currently have Allstate for my 08 VW Passat and am paying $950/6months
I called yesterday for a quote for the model 3 and got a quote of $2066/6months..

No thank you. I will keep shopping.

No tickets in the last 5 years, no collisions or any other insurance filings. 20 mile average daily commute 3-4 days a week for work, as I can work remote.
I’m 27, I’m sure a much better rate is out there. That Allstate rate is a joke.

I currently have Allstate for my 08 VW Passat and am paying $950/6months
I called yesterday for a quote for the model 3 and got a quote of $2066/6months..

No thank you. I will keep shopping.

No tickets in the last 5 years, no collisions or any other insurance filings. 20 mile average daily commute 3-4 days a week for work, as I can work remote.
I’m 27, I’m sure a much better rate is out there. That Allstate rate is a joke.

That's just crazy. You'll find something better by shopping around.

This isn't the first article I've read that says average insurance costs are sky high, and those articles have nothing to do with Tesla.
So read the numbers in OP's link in terms of relative costs and they do not seem so unlikely.

For example, and keep in mind these numbers are averages so they include all the junkers that carry minimum state required.
Although it's using parts of those handwringing articles that's not the heart of the problem with what this article is doing, in fact this article is doing the opposite of "nothing to do with Tesla". It is using very dubious math to paint it as something unique to Tesla.