Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High interior CO2 count while supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased an air quality monitor that measures CO2 and carried it with me on a road trip. One thing that surprised me was that when we stopped for supercharging the CO2 count in the cabin of our Model Y would rocket up to well above what it was before the charging started. Normally while we're driving or otherwise sitting with the air on it would stay around 700, but when supercharging it was 1800.

Does supercharging turn down/off air recirculation in the cabin? Is there some other process that would cause elevated CO2 while supercharging?

I recently purchased an air quality monitor that measures CO2 and carried it with me on a road trip. One thing that surprised me was that when we stopped for supercharging the CO2 count in the cabin of our Model Y would rocket up to well above what it was before the charging started. Normally while we're driving or otherwise sitting with the air on it would stay around 700, but when supercharging it was 1800.

Does supercharging turn down/off air recirculation in the cabin? Is there some other process that would cause elevated CO2 while supercharging?
See Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, Charging, page 160. When charging at high current on a warm day the air from the HVAC vents may not be as cool as expected. (There is nothing stated in the manual about the Tesla HVAC automatically turning on Recirculate Cabin Air setting when Supercharging.)

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

It is designed to keep the gas fumes from entering the cabin while refueling. :)

Reactions: ybkpk
It's probably on recirc the whole time but there's just not as much air leakage when you're parked. Just turn it to outside air if you prefer, or hold your breath.

The CO2 is coming from inside the car.
1_1K08Ab-BdylvttKwxVgZIg.jpeg