TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

High kWh consumption on 6.2

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Lawsteve, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

#1 Lawsteve, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    I've had 6.2 for about ten days (ver .153). During that time I have had unusually high power consumption for my daily driving around town. My typical average is around 350 or so. Since I loaded 6.2, it has been 425.

i have a pre parking sensor "classic" P85 and have not been driving crazy (unfortunately I can't drive "insane").

i have noticed the reported glitch in which the audio system seems to remain cycling through songs (my USB stick stays plugged in at all times), but cannot imagine that would be consuming that much power. I also plug in the car every evening.

is anyone else seeing this behavior?

2. Great Dane

Great Dane Member

My usb audio acts a little strange
    but my power usage is still very low
    try resetting both computers.

3. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

Thanks for the suggestion, but because of other issues (including a message that Bluetooth has malfunctioned and need to call service), speedometer and main panel already have been reset twice since the update.

4. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

We have 6.2 and are traveling. Drove Sarasota to Oak Island , NC with an average 308 wh/mile. We have a "classic" 85.

5. scottm

scottm Active Member

Are you using a lot of A/C these days?

6. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

Actually I am not. I usually keep it set at 68. Pushed it up to 70 to see if it made a difference. Only difference was I am warmer, but power usage didn't change.

7. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

My power usage has actually gone down a little bit since 6.2

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Coincidentally most snowbirds headed out after Easter.....about 10 days ago....so the roads are a lot clearer all of a sudden; you might just be driving faster. I'm serious, it's made a huge difference here.

9. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

Thats funny Nigel. My first wife's family lived in Bradenton and I remember the congestion caused by the snowbird drivers. Up here in Tampa we don't have the same immigration issues, and we make sure to drive crazy all year round to make the snowbirds too scared to drive up here!

Since this morning, my average usage (30 mile range option) is now up to 429. I'm going to try another full reset tonight and see if that has any impact.

i did have a strange event when leaving for a lunch appointment today. As I always do, I used the app to check the temp in the car and turn on the AC for 5 minutes before I leave. My app showed a message "preconditioning in progress". Never saw that one before, and I do not drive to lunch every day at noon, thus there should not have been any preconditioning happening. I think I'm going to turn off the preconditioning option and see if that makes a difference. Maybe my car is going into preconditioning mode at random times.

10. skilly

skilly Member

Mine has gone up by that same amount...I have a P85D

11. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

My consumption was in the 260s yesterday on flat terrain with AC on, including freeway stints at 70-75 MPH. I drive a P85 on 6.2.