Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High maintenance car ever I owned

Howmuch do you agree with me?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, however I want? So I'll just calculate that for every Tesla sold the carbon credit is sold by Tesla to enable a gas guzzler to be sold, leaving Tesla with zero carbon credits, so nothing to offset Elon's 20 mile jet trips. Yep, @TSLA Pilot, every Tesla you ever bought enabled a new gas guzzler to hit the streets, which would not have been feasible without those. Heck, buying a reasonable economical ICE might actually result in less pollution than buying a Tesla and therefore enabling an ICE with half the mpg that it would have had to have otherwise.
Tesla is directly responsible for helping Chrysler to continue to sell 800 horsepower V8 gas fuming muscle cars instead of making electric cars. Assisting Chrysler's quest to burn as much gasolinr as possible has been very profitable for Tesla!

Sorry, I knew that, that's not what I was looking for.

That page says : "Model S and Model X owners will be invited in groups based on their Autopilot Computer and feature configurations."

Should have been more clear, the old 2013 MCU1 cars were built before AP1 , and I've seen no details of pre auto pilot offering from Tesla for MCU2, if anyone knows more details of pre-autopilot MCU2, please do reply. I've seen notes on AP2.0 and 2.5 cars getting MCU2, but nothing for pre-AP cars...

The page also says: "All remaining Model S and Model X owners - Coming Soon".

It's perfectly logical to assume this means Pre-AP cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Such a remarkably uninformed reply. Using your "logic," no one should ever buy a Tesla, ever.

Here are a few better reasoned statements which we all hope will help:

1. Tesla has sold "green" credits to ICE/legacy brands, and continues to do so.

2. These are highly lucrative to Tesla, and damaging to legacy brands, especially those that persist in hoping that any issues from ~150 years of unchecked GHG dumping will "just go away."

3. Buying Teslas helps Tesla, and harms legacy brands selling millions of GHG-spewing vehicles, vehicles which threaten our planet's future with each passing mile.

4. Our planet's future is at risk; we haven't any time to waste:

‘Like Trash in a Landfill’: Carbon Dioxide Keeps Piling Up in the Atmosphere

And:

climate.nasa.gov

Being better informed will help avoid "low information" posts.

Thank you.
Actually you are wrong on #2, selling the credits is not damaging to the legacy brands, it helps them sell higher gas burning vehicles. So #2 is correct about it being very lucrative to Tesla, but incorrect in saying it's somehow bad for legacy brands - if it was damaging to them, they simply wouldn't buy those credits from Tesla.

Do a simple benefit comparison:
  1. You buy a prius which get over 50mpg fuel economy (assume not a plug-in)
  2. You buy a Tesla which pollutes nothing (assuming electricty from renewables, which is not true everywhere), but enables a sale of 14mpg car
Which one do you think results in more pollution in the air?

As usual, you just like to look at what you want to see and ignore other facts. It's like with you telling us how Elon is cash poor by not taking any salary and not selling his stock, but are sticking your head in the sand when asked "how does a guy who makes no money pay for his lavish lifestyle, including a number of staffed mansions, private jet, etc.?".

Last edited:
Both my previous Grand Cherokee and current F250 have had higher repair bills in the first 5 years than any of my Teslas. If you add in oil changes and brake jobs to repairs, even my Toyota RAV4 was more expensive. I suspect that when I get to 115K my Tesla will be cheaper than my Subaru which blew a head gasket (not uncommon) .

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Sorry, I knew that, that's not what I was looking for.

That page says : "Model S and Model X owners will be invited in groups based on their Autopilot Computer and feature configurations."

Should have been more clear, the old 2013 MCU1 cars were built before AP1 , and I've seen no details of pre auto pilot offering from Tesla for MCU2, if anyone knows more details of pre-autopilot MCU2, please do reply. I've seen notes on AP2.0 and 2.5 cars getting MCU2, but nothing for pre-AP cars...

AP1 + Pre-AP (or AP0) = "All remaining Model S and Model X owners Coming Soon". They used the wording to differentiate the AP2.5 (wave1) and AP2 (wave 2) and then have all us 'clunkers' get the leftover parts that they cant sell to the cool kids with new tech (wave 3) :p

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Our Teslas, two MS P's, pollute very, very little since our electric bill for the past 13 months is under $22, TOTAL. We use sunlight to power our home and cars via Tesla Energy solar panels.
The carbon credit Tesla got for the 2 Teslas you drive enabled the sale of gas guzzlers which would have had to pay a higher penalty to the government to offset it (by I don't know, planting trees, building a treatment plant, finance EV incentives) - bottom line is thanks to you the gas guzzler manufacturer got a discount on what they would have had to pay to offset their pollution. Btw, not judging you for it, like you like to judge other people, I bought 4 Model S to date, so I enabled a bunch of gas guzzler sales too, but minimizing pollution was not my primary goal, if it was, an economical ICE (yes, even the "stupid Prius" which burns a gallon of gasoline to travel 50+ miles) would have likely resulted in less net pollution.

Lastly, Elon's lifestyle appears to be an "issue" for you. Why? He's risked his entire net worth, hundreds of millions of dollars at the time, to save Tesla. (And what have you done for the planet recently?)

Regardless, his pay is effectively zero. He has stated that his cash flow comes from borrowing against his assets, of which SpaceX and TSLA shares are likely the vast majority, likely above 95% of his net worth.
To be very clear, I have absolutely no issue with Elon spending his money any way he wants to. He earned all those billions and earned the right to spend them any way he wants to. If he wants to take a jet to travel 20 miles, all the power to him, I have zero problem with that. I was simply responding to your comments attempting to characterize Elon as poor, because he keeps re-investing by keeping the shares instead of selling them, which is total B.S. as this is simply a tax loophole. Instead of selling a stock and paying capital gain and/or income tax on it, you borrow against that stock and pay absolutely zero tax on that transaction. Yes, you will pay some interest (nowadays ~1%) but that is so much less than tax. You have to be wealthy enough to use it, as there are usually safeguards which will automatically sell your stock if it falls below certain value, so you'd usually not borrow for more than some percentage of it. I personally applaud Elon for using this tax loophole, as I always believe you should make the best decisions based on current rules and laws. Of course if it's someone like Trump who does this, that's bad, but when it's Elon, people cheer, but that's a different story. I just hope one day I can live purely off of borrowing stock against my investments instead of caching them in, so I don't have to pay taxes either.

You make this sound like a bad thing; have you ever driven one? Quite impressive, and I thought my old 2006 modified SRT8 charger was the cat’s meow. The hellcat will want to make your roar!
It's not a bad thing! Some people here take it that way, but it's good for Tesla and good for V8 power, so everybody wins - except people that flip out at the idea of gasoline and are trying to avoid the fact that buying Tesla helps build some of the most impressive V8s ever commercially made.

Not all Tesla people get bent out of shape over horsepower - it's actually what sold a lot of us here on electric cars in the first place.

Reactions: SilverGS
Actually you are wrong on #2, selling the credits is not damaging to the legacy brands, it helps them sell higher gas burning vehicles. So #2 is correct about it being very lucrative to Tesla, but incorrect in saying it's somehow bad for legacy brands - if it was damaging to them, they simply wouldn't buy those credits from Tesla.

Do a simple benefit comparison:
  1. You buy a prius which get over 50mpg fuel economy (assume not a plug-in)
  2. You buy a Tesla which pollutes nothing (assuming electricty from renewables, which is not true everywhere), but enables a sale of 14mpg car
Which one do you think results in more pollution in the air?

"....buy a Tesla which pollutes nothing" on this line I can tell you that there are thousands of cells in the large battery bed under the seatings of Tesla. Pollution generated in the environment is extensively high in order to produce this battery for each car. I haven't come across any statistics proving this pollution is any less than life of gas car. All I feel comfortable that I am not adding any more pollution driving this car.

If Tesla was truly altruistic and only wanted to move the world to more sustainable transportation, they would not sell credits. That would force the hand of other manufacturers. Leave money on the table? Sure, but that would do more to move other manufacturers.

Tesla is still not a profitable company. Closing up shop will not improve the environment.

If you were actually worried about the environment, you would bicycle to work and not be on a Tesla site.

Yeah, a change-the-world company growing at a breakneck pace, which requires massive capital expenditures (measured in the many BILLIONS), and which loses billions of dollars (due to plowing every dime back into growth and the costs associated with being a start up) should go ahead and just sit on those millions of dollars of green credits provided by legislatures around the globe to spur the development of EV's . . . .
I use the same reasoning. With the way they treat customers right now, it's cheaper for me (time and money) to just buy an ICE for transportation. Think of it as me not leaving money on the table (buying ICE saves me money) so maybe I can buy more EV's in the future, when I find one I like.

he (to be fair, maybe she) is doing everything to make me want to sell both my electric cars and go out and find the least efficient gas powered cars I can and drive them.

You claim that people advocating for EV's has a negative effect on you, and forces you to gas cars.

Enjoy your alternate universe where gas cars have no-one advocating for them and calling you names if you don't drive one.
Ref: The oil industry vs. the electric car

You can't have it both ways fella.
That leaves you walking, which it seems you already do, enjoy your walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.