Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High maintenance car ever I owned

Howmuch do you agree with me?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And keep in mind you get charged $200 for each incident with the ESA. If it hadn't been for that, I probably would have bought it....or if they'd kept the price at $2500 which is what it was when I bought my P85D in 2015, but by the time I had to decide, it was 2018 and already $4K.
yup, you and I are thinking the same thing.

So far my total expenditures for any service on my 2016 Tesla is ZERO. Wish I could say that for my old crappy BMW that seemed to need some sort of work every few months and only had 25,000 miles on it. Maybe I just got a bad one.

I think that's the norm. I was spending $400 a month (averaged over two years) just for the parts to repair my BMW myself. One of my neighbors was regularly stopping by with $1000 or $2000 estimates from the BMW dealer that we would resolve for $100 or $200 in parts and work that rarely took longer than one beer to finish....

If you kept a european car after warranty expires, you can run into thousands of repair cost each year.
If you kept a japanese car after warranty expires, you probably will face a lot less, but there's still regular oil changes and the usual maintenance issues that will be a hundred and ramp up to hundreds if you keep them too long after warranty.

There's no doubt that the Teslas new or used are a little more expensive to get it, but the maintenance costs are ok.

My family has driven Ford Windstar, Honda Civic, Accord, Insight (hybrid) Lexus RX300, Infiniti QX50, QX60, mercedes C, E, S. The Honda hybrid was the cheapest to maintain, the civic and accord are only slightly more. The Lexus and Infinitis are more expensive but still not a big deal.

The Ford Windstar was a nightmare - it had some sort of problem with plastic parts in the engine that caused severe leaks when it was a year old and it eventually died when it was 6 years old. It was junked. Although most repairs were under warranty, I never bought another american car after that.

The Mercedes were great when new, after 6 years or so, the problems start coming up and they were extremely expensive to fix. Especially the Model S, twice on 2 models. The thing about the Benz model S is that the air suspension is so smooth and interiors so luxurious that you get addicted to it. I thought the first one was just a fluke, so I replaced it with a newer model. Like clockwork, 7the year, major issues crop up, from air suspension components (hideously expensive) to transmission and miscelaneous electronics and parts.

The thing with mercedes is that many components that are due to fail are placed in awkward places that require many hours of labor to get to - parts had to be disassembled and removed before you can replace them --- they never gave a thought about time to replace in their design. Today, if someone must buy a benz, I would definitely say get rid of it before the warranty runs out and eat the massive depreciation --- $5000 annual repair costs are not uncommon for the model S.

The Tesla is still under warranty, but we know about the major cost factors --- MCU (eMMC problem), the door handles, charger mechanism, there's not much else - meaning if I replace them before the warranty runs out keeping the car longer may be acceptable. Besides, used Teslas seem to retain more of their value, making trading in less expensive than the european models.

• Informative
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Yes, so true.

Let's see how much traction we get suggesting everyone move to an off-grid yurt with no running water . . . .

In the real world we see the miracle of Tesla: no real sacrifices (to drive the best cars in the world), and a usable planet for others to enjoy.

THAT is why it is so important to get everyone into EV's ASAP, hopefully Teslas--we are so very, very far behind:

‘Like Trash in a Landfill’: Carbon Dioxide Keeps Piling Up in the Atmosphere
In other words you’re down for saving the planet as long as there are no compromises. Very noble of you sir.
Not only that, but we should treat the money we give them as a gift or donation to a charity. It's deluded.
To be fair... Tesla is doing you a favor by selling you the vehicle and taking money from you. A double favor!

In other words you’re down for saving the planet as long as there are no compromises. Very noble of you sir.

Hardly--plenty of "compromises" for us. We've purchased nine MS's since 2013 and they're not cheap. But it's important for the high-information, well informed, and at least mildly intelligent, to buy as many as they can afford, and then some.

We have but one planet.

To be fair... Tesla is doing you a favor by selling you the vehicle and taking money from you. A double favor!

It's incumbent upon all of us to step up and ACT. "Act" means replacing all of your ICE vehicles with EV's, getting solar panels, and also adopting a fully plant-based* lifestyle.

There are no excuses.

Get on it, please.

*COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

- GREENHOUSE GASES -
Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

It's incumbent upon all of us to step up and ACT. "Act" means replacing all of your ICE vehicles with EV's, getting solar panels, and also adopting a fully plant-based* lifestyle.

There are no excuses.

Get on it, please.

*COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

- GREENHOUSE GASES -
Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006
Right, you say Tesla emits less Co2 than ice cars and we need to reduce our co2 emissions but a bicycles emits less than a Tesla.. yet you refuse to switch to bicycling.

also it’s really hard to take you seriously when you’re borderline trolling with this, you do realize it’s the same users you’re replying to right? You don’t have to constantly post links and the exact same message. We get it. We got it the first time you posted your message.

Is the mileage similar?

I think the newer S have less issues. Where the early adopter cars have more of the kinks that need working out. I have a 2014 p85D. Have had 2/4 door handles replaced. Airbags (recall) replaced. Clovis mounts (tsb) and condenser fan. All under warranty.

outside of warranty I’ve paid for the front wheel well linings that packed snow ripped off last winter. It was $110 I did it myself.

In regards to the door handles. And the actuators. I have a 2015 Toyota Prius. The actuator went out in the passenger side which controls both locking and unlocking the door. And rolling the window up and down. Cost to fix is over $1500. So in that regards Tesla is cheaper.

My warranty will be up May of next year unless I put another 40k on the odo which I don’t see doing with corona. I will 100% be keeping the car post warranty.

FWIW, when door handle unit was replaced recently, the mobile technician explained that the new replacement no longer had the design problems of the old ones and he's never seen one break, but the new chrome handles are plastic so he switched the metallic handles over --- a lot of people complained about the 'feel' of the plastic ones and they had to switch over.

Service Tech advice : best way to avoid door handle problems (1) park cars indoors in winter (2) don't slam the door too hard - the rattling can over time loosen and damage various movable parts.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Right, you say Tesla emits less Co2 than ice cars and we need to reduce our co2 emissions but a bicycles emits less than a Tesla.. yet you refuse to switch to bicycling.

also it’s really hard to take you seriously when you’re borderline trolling with this, you do realize it’s the same users you’re replying to right? You don’t have to constantly post links and the exact same message. We get it. We got it the first time you posted your message.

I hear some people actually don't even turn on "Chill mode" in their Teslas to lower their Wh/mile. And some turn off "Range mode" just to crank up their heater and AC. And don't get me started on all those Tesla drivers who drive above 60mph --- don't they realize they could be using twice as much kWhr in their drive by accelerating and going too fast?

As for "Ludicruous and launch mode", that's just absolutely unacceptable! LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.