Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car has a propensity to eat up rear passenger tire in 3 months (all other tires at 11/32, RR tire 5/32 after just 3 months

I’ve noticed my average wh/mi creep from 270 to 350
I'll go out on a limb and say these things are related.

Have you considered having the alignment checked? Did you back into a curb or something that might have thrown out the toe alignment? (If you have any curb rash at all that is a red flag and makes it more likely.)

Reactions: OUengineer
2018 AWD delivered Oct 2018 with just over 114k miles (much of it work travel around the SEUS). Showed 306 miles on a full charge when new, last reading was 282 so about 8% degredation. To date I have spent $4628 on M&R. Over half of that is tires (replaced at 40k then again at 80k). Replaced the 12V at 81k ($220), replaced front door check straps ($188) and rear drivers side speaker ($145) at 99k, and replaced upper control arms ($747) at 108k. The rest would be alignments, rotations (when feeling lazy), tools I bought to perform my own rotations (when not so lazy), wiper blades & fluid, and air filters. Oh and I did have the “stinky ac” flush service performed ($150) at 45k.

All things considered, I’m quite happy with the car and the operating costs. My original goal was to drive this to 200k miles before replacing it and I don’t see any reason I can’t do that. I’ll probably replace it with a Y, although I do have a Cybertruck reservation just to hedge my bets.

2018 AWD, 71,000km
Charge port door stopped opening, warranty replacement
1 x upper control arm replaced warranty
Other upper control arm lubricated
Ice tends to build up if driving through deep snow of front aero shield under motor,
Still on original tires(also winters) but both sets look like they are under 50%, lots of quick launches

• Informative
Reactions: reductase
I'll go out on a limb and say these things are related.

Have you considered having the alignment checked? Did you back into a curb or something that might have thrown out the toe alignment? (If you have any curb rash at all that is a red flag and makes it more likely.)
You’re totally right.
I had the alignment checked. No curb rash, I’m very careful around potholes but with these Texas roads it’s always a possibility. I had issues with the struts before due to some defect. I had all the rims checked for bends as well.
do you think it’s just wear affecting the tolerances around the wheels?

Just under 15 months ownership with a March 2020 M3 LR with full upgrades. Over 28,000 miles of which majority was highway commuting. I've driven it on mountain roads, canyon roads, and dirt roads. Road tripped it twice from LA to Joshua Tree and outer Yosemite area. I only get 291 miles at 100% charge which is down from 322. FWIW, I've never seen 322 rated miles on the display since taking delivery of the car. 254 wh/mi lifetime average. TeslaFi shows my battery in the 47th percentile across its user base with similar mileage. I babied the battery the first 11 months and decided to use Chademo/Supercharger whenever I needed to if convenient because the degradation rate seemed like it didn't care. I went about 1.5 months of 99% DC charging and battery rated range hasn't really gone down since. I was at about 295 rate range prior to trying DC only for a few weeks.

Still on stock factory tires with 4-5/32 tread measurements. Only issue I've had was with the passenger side side-view mirror not tilting up so had that replaced under warranty by mobile service.
your BMS probably just needs to recalibrate, try not charging it some nights, allow the BMS to get a solid 6 hours of deep sleep at different charge levels. you'll get some of that range back.

2020 P3D-, 29,943 in 19 months. cabin temp sensor went out at like 5k, had the rear tail lights replaced about the same time due to cracking. still on stock tires, they are getting close to replacement time, trying to wait till Pilot Sport EV's are launched. battery needs some more calibration, was showing 260 full charge, got it up to 280 and can probably regain the rest in the coming weeks. my only major complaint is the paint, after 2 months the front was getting chipped up pretty bad. took it to Tesla to complain, and they blamed it on winter road conditions (Seattle), but my Audi didn't have a scratch on it after 60k. bit the bullet and got front clip PPF and tint done which ran $1600 total. broke the back glass myself, and replaced that for $800 at tesla. all in all, so happy with this car, i don't see selling it for the next 7 years. i'm also happy i got the performance, leaves me not wanting or dreaming about upgrading.

your BMS probably just needs to recalibrate, try not charging it some nights, allow the BMS to get a solid 6 hours of deep sleep at different charge levels. you'll get some of that range back.
I have a 2020 AWD (delivered Dec 2019) with the same rated miles at 100%. I've done a lot of the stuff mentioned in various threads but not seen any return. I'm not worried about it at this point. If it drops below 250 rmi at 100% than I'll start to worry.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I've already tried all the steps to try and recalibrate BMS. It has never made any change, unfortunately. My daily commute is 60 miles so I used to charge every other day. Now I just try to charge daily. I've charged to 100 and I've take it down below 10% and left the car sleep overnight to take readings. No impact. If I calc the 75 kw capacity by my lifetime wh/mi it kind of matches out to what the display shows. Unfortunately, this week, the 100% rated mileage dropped further and fluctuates between 287-289. It's just a constant downward trend each month as I rack up 1500 commuting miles each month. Tesla service has repeatedly told me it is normal degradation...which I mean, probably is. I saw a small bump up in rated range as we went from winter to summer but only by 3-4 miles. It's back down to my lowest rated miles since winter.

If I calc the 75 kw capacity by my lifetime wh/mi it kind of matches out to what the display shows.

Fortunately, that's not how it works. Otherwise my display would be showing 270 miles or so! The range display is completely unrelated to your lifetime Wh/mi (I suppose it could be correlated if you routinely flog the battery on the track and average 600Wh/mi, but that's not the type of correlation we're talking about here.)

The number of miles is just a direct reflection of how many kWh the BMS thinks you have.

Tesla service has repeatedly told me it is normal degradation...which I mean, probably is. I saw a small bump up in rated range as we went from winter to summer but only by 3-4 miles. It's back down to my lowest rated miles since winter.

Yep, it's normal.

I'm not surprised you don't have any recovery. You can try different things (stay at lower SoC more often), but my impression is that recovery of range varies a lot from vehicle to vehicle and there's no guaranteed formula. In the end we know the battery is inevitably losing capacity, and there's nothing to be done about it, so these regimens are really just making tweaks around the edges. They may help, but they won't work miracles and they won't alter the overall trend.

It'll likely level out for you in the next few months. I'd be surprised if you see much further capacity loss in the next year. It doesn't help you that you apparently did not start at the full 77.8kWh (never saw 322 miles - don't know how far off you were).

With the reports here, I'm starting to wonder how I can get my front control arms done under warranty (plenty of time & distance left for me); I know someone else who recently had one replaced. I guess they're not very expensive so it's not a big deal, and I assume they're not restricted parts, so can do them myself. But still, would be nice to get the newer revision under warranty.

Last edited:
3 years old, 30400 miles...

Only three issues thus far:
- charge door not opening/closing (currently in service)
- dash had to be replaced but it was from delivery like that
- gear shift know replaced due to coming apart repeatedly

Overall very happy with reliability of the car so far. Was debating getting rid of it once warranty is up but will probably keep if no issues in the next year

• Informative
Dec 2018 Mid Range @ 56k miles

Control Arm Replacement - Warranty
Loose Frame Bolts - DIY
Wipers not connected on delivery - Warranty
On third set of tires

It'll be on Tesla's used site in a couple weeks, as we are soon taking delivery of our AWD, which we plan on running until it gives up. Our long term fleet of 100D + 3AWD will be complete!

• Informative
Reactions: reductase and Dre78
2018 LR RWD 70,481 miles.

Both control arms replaced under warranty.
12v Battery replaced under warranty.
Charge door stopped working recently. Replaced for $273.40
Ripped rear fabric under panel. Replaced myself with aluminum ones, $500

Lifetime premium connectivity has been nice.

2019 SR+, 11,335 since April of 2019, no big issues, tires still have plenty of life, I've had 39 software updates and the max I can charge to is 237 out of 240 (98.8%). Still as much fun to drive today as the first day when they delivered it to my home :)

How about predicting high mileage? LOL

I've had my 2021 M3P since March 30th of this year and have put 13,000kms (8000miles) on it....

Had major vibration issues in first week. Car went to service in Toronto and sat there for 3 weeks to replace the rear brake calipers.
Mobile service came out to fix the power trunk that wasn't closing properly if the car was parked in my driveway on an incline.

Since then, no problems that a 2 button reset couldn't fix.

2020 LRAWD (late December delivery) with 18k miles. Had driver side seat replaced (bottom completely fell through), driver seatbelt tensioner replaced (actually became so loose the rail could be heard rattling/thunking), rear passenger trim piece due broken clips. Front windshield replaced due to crack. Charge port door replacement due to failure. Driver side door seal and window actuator replaced. Sounds like I've had a lot of issues but it seems the fixed for these things have stuck (so far) and I won't have anything further. New tires at 17k (was at 3/32 all around but am taking it on road trips this summer so decided to get new tires. Normal tire rotations and washer fluid replacement.

• Informative
2019 M3P, 64,000 miles with 14% range loss @ 21 months old. No actual warranty failures. Only work ever done to it was to adjust the cameras due to phantom braking on the interstate, which worked.

Car has seen probably around 5,000 full throttle launches, and the speed limiter probably a dozen times, with one on there roughly 20-30 seconds.

I wasn't a Tesla fanboy prior to this, but am definitely one now. Would have been through multiple engines and transmissions on any of my previous or current gas cars at this point.

2019 SR+, 11,335 since April of 2019, no big issues, tires still have plenty of life, I've had 39 software updates and the max I can charge to is 237 out of 240 (98.8%). Still as much fun to drive today as the first day when they delivered it to my home :)
So for kicks I charged to 100% last night and this morning...

Screenshot_20210625-082333_Tesla.jpg