Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its always frustrating to see how some people have no degeneration. Seems like the 2017/2018 Model 3s for some reason have minimal degradation.
Not many, as you can read in pages many are down from 310 to 280 or so.
Sept. 2018 delivery for LR AWD.

~ 30k miles
1 set of new tires
Original 12v. Just ordered an Ohmmu battery as preventative replacement
No issues. Still have not been to a service center
my 12V died a month after 3 years of owning it, thankfully in the garage and i got a warning.
2018 109k miles

2018 LR AWD
41k miles
283 miles at 100%
That is pretty good?

2018 August, 30k miles about 240 miles at 80%, so about 300 at 100% but when i charged to 100% couple of times before, it would max out at 285 or so.
Maintenance per miles
8k - first nail in tire 1, $350 Tesla
19k - second nail in tire 2 = $350 at America tires
20k side puncture in tire 3 = $350 a Americas tires plus bought warranty
21k rebalance tires - American Tires, free
23k replaced both hubs in the front wheels, free Courtesy by Tesla
24k installed HW3
26k 12V battery died, under warranty
28k cabin filter replaced $150
12/23/21 3rd nail, tire 3 or 4. patched by 3rd party, but likely needs to be replaced

Not bad, could be better. But no oil changes, or brake/pad changes.

Just under 15 months ownership with a March 2020 M3 LR with full upgrades. Over 28,000 miles of which majority was highway commuting. I've driven it on mountain roads, canyon roads, and dirt roads. Road tripped it twice from LA to Joshua Tree and outer Yosemite area. I only get 291 miles at 100% charge which is down from 322. FWIW, I've never seen 322 rated miles on the display since taking delivery of the car. 254 wh/mi lifetime average. TeslaFi shows my battery in the 47th percentile across its user base with similar mileage. I babied the battery the first 11 months and decided to use Chademo/Supercharger whenever I needed to if convenient because the degradation rate seemed like it didn't care. I went about 1.5 months of 99% DC charging and battery rated range hasn't really gone down since. I was at about 295 rate range prior to trying DC only for a few weeks.

Still on stock factory tires with 4-5/32 tread measurements. Only issue I've had was with the passenger side side-view mirror not tilting up so had that replaced under warranty by mobile service.
This seems like a lot of degradation to me…

This seems like a lot of degradation to me…

its normal.

As an update, I'm now at almost 42,000 miles and my estimated range at 100% SoC is 275 to 278 which puts me at right about 14% degradation and 23rd percentile on TeslaFi.

Over the past 2-3 weeks I've been getting strange happenings which may or may not be related to the battery. While driving on the freeway in around 60 degrees weather, I'll suddenly see the regen bar on the display become all dots as if I were 100% charged even though I was between 40-60% charge. Then after a moment the dots switch to the other side and now it displays I have no acceleration as if I were at 5%. I'm also unable to reach 250KW supercharging and the charge rate drops to 60KW by the time I reach 50% SoC. I took the car into service over these issues 3 days ago and they apparently saw no issue with the battery and proactively replaced the high voltage connector that connects the charge port to the battery. After the replacement, I did hit 193 KW peak momentarily, which then settled to right around 120KW even with nobody around me. It was a 24 stall supercharger station with only 3 of us there at midnight so it wasn't a power sharing issue.

As an update, I'm now at almost 42,000 miles and my estimated range at 100% SoC is 275 to 278 which puts me at right about 14% degradation and 23rd percentile on TeslaFi.

Over the past 2-3 weeks I've been getting strange happenings which may or may not be related to the battery. While driving on the freeway in around 60 degrees weather, I'll suddenly see the regen bar on the display become all dots as if I were 100% charged even though I was between 40-60% charge. Then after a moment the dots switch to the other side and now it displays I have no acceleration as if I were at 5%. I'm also unable to reach 250KW supercharging and the charge rate drops to 60KW by the time I reach 50% SoC. I took the car into service over these issues 3 days ago and they apparently saw no issue with the battery and proactively replaced the high voltage connector that connects the charge port to the battery. After the replacement, I did hit 193 KW peak momentarily, which then settled to right around 120KW even with nobody around me. It was a 24 stall supercharger station with only 3 of us there at midnight so it wasn't a power sharing issue.
that’s awful…. does this mean that when people like Andy Slye make videos about degradation they’re just lying? He’s had his car for years and says he gets more range than originally.

that’s awful…. does this mean that when people like Andy Slye make videos about degradation they’re just lying? He’s had his car for years and says he gets more range than originally.
I have a feeling, anecdotally, that either 2018/2019 models have different battery chemistries or they've "fudged" the range numbers a bit to mathematically improve range due to minor hardware or software-based driving efficiencies. If the latter, then it's still the same exact battery but the rated range is stated higher, which would give the perception of a faster degrading battery. 278/322 is much worse than 278/310.

I wish TeslaFi would provide more detailed analysis on battery degradation based on location, duration of high/low SoC, current draw, temperature, etc. to see what factors actually attribute to degradation among the different year models. I'm sure environmental factors are a big impact, and we already know that is the case for lithium batteries, but, to compare those factors against different chemistries and model years might be more telling of what's happening.

Reactions: AutoRocket

clearly your car has reproduceable issues and needs to be serviced. dont let tesla fob you off.

I have a feeling, anecdotally, that either 2018/2019 models have different battery chemistries or they've "fudged" the range numbers a bit to mathematically improve range due to minor hardware or software-based driving efficiencies. If the latter, then it's still the same exact battery but the rated range is stated higher, which would give the perception of a faster degrading battery. 278/322 is much worse than 278/310.

I wish TeslaFi would provide more detailed analysis on battery degradation based on location, duration of high/low SoC, current draw, temperature, etc. to see what factors actually attribute to degradation among the different year models. I'm sure environmental factors are a big impact, and we already know that is the case for lithium batteries, but, to compare those factors against different chemistries and model years might be more telling of what's happening.

i wrote the same thing before. It seems that 2017/18 models have a better battery chemistry which has less degradation, more akin to the S/X.

Having a 2018 LR RWD TM3 I remember when they came out they had 310 miles of range, so as not to make the Performance TM3 look too bad by comparison. I think that's rated range is well under 300 miles. After the Performance car established itself in the market Tesla released an update to the firmware that allowed my RWD car to show all 325 miles of range. So if you looked at your car on day one at 100% you got 310 miles, and then two years later after some degradation and a firmware update you may be down from 325 miles to 315 miles and so yes, technically, your range had increased with age, but you still had battery degradation. I am at 105,000 and showing about 300 miles of range exactly when charging to 100%

I am not sure what others experience is with charging to 100%, but on mine when I sit at a supercharger or other DCFC the car will say some number of minutes remaining greater than the default 5 min that it says for the last few minutes when charging to say 80%. So I am charging to 100% and it says 10 or 15 minutes remaining but stops going down at that point, unlike a lower charge limit where it would go down to 5. And then even though there is still a lot of time remaining it just stops charging. And then second I put it into drive it says it's only charged to 99% or even slightly less. Is this true for others?

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
When the software update came out that increased the range of my 2018 Model 3 from 310 miles to 325 miles, I did a lot of testing to determine whether somehow the car was more efficient or if the range increase was simply changing the number displayed without actually making it so that the car would actually drive further. My conclusion was that it was the latter; I could drive no further on a charge than I could before. My best kWh/mi did not change nor did I have more kWh available.

If true then that means that battery degradation of these older cars should be measured against 325 miles not 310 miles because the current range people see is based on the 325 scale for the same original battery capacity. So if someone in one of those older Model 3s has 278 miles of range left at 100% that's 278 out of 325 original miles not 278 out of 310. So more degradation.

For my own data point my March 2018 LR RWD Model 3 with 30k miles had about 299 miles left at 100% when I sold it last month. I actually thought that was bad until I started reading this forum recently!

Reactions: israndy
When the software update came out that increased the range of my 2018 Model 3 from 310 miles to 325 miles, I did a lot of testing to determine whether somehow the car was more efficient or if the range increase was simply changing the number displayed without actually making it so that the car would actually drive further. My conclusion was that it was the latter; I could drive no further on a charge than I could before. My best kWh/mi did not change nor did I have more kWh available.

If true then that means that battery degradation of these older cars should be measured against 325 miles not 310 miles because the current range people see is based on the 325 scale for the same original battery capacity. So if someone in one of those older Model 3s has 278 miles of range left at 100% that's 278 out of 325 original miles not 278 out of 310. So more degradation.

For my own data point my March 2018 LR RWD Model 3 with 30k miles had about 299 miles left at 100% when I sold it last month. I actually thought that was bad until I started reading this forum recently!

You are correct.
degradation is always measured by comparing the original kwh to the current kwh (including by Tesa themselves).

so that means you use 325 miles. This also includes i.e. the normal performance form 2019 which also has 310 miles but its actually 325 miles. The 15 miles were never missing, you just didnt see them and you dropped to 309 miles after i.e. 16 miles of degradation.

I look forward to seeing more of these kinds of threads when more 3s start to get past bumper-to-bumper warranty and battery warranties.

I'm at 53k miles. Mine has had only an upper control arm replacement at 30k miles and first set of tires at 26k. I can highly recommend the General Altimax RT43's for mileage treadwear if you're on Aeros. Mine are still at 6-7 32nds with 27k on this set.

I don't know how many DIY'ers we have, but it appears that seam sealing the top metal seams on the upper control arms is the Tesla method to extend control arm (ball joint) life by preventing water ingress. Any silicone adhesive sealant should do the trick.

I'm still above average on TeslaFi for degradataion. Looking forward to see where it levels out a bit.
Replacing the front upper control arm is actually pretty easy. I seem to recall it only takes messing with 8 or 9 bolts (after removing the wheel) the change the FUCA. Right side took me two hours. Left side should take 90 minutes now that I know what I'm doing. The part from Tesla cost less than $100, plus the front stabilizer nut you have to replace - (which, incidentally, I've never seen detailed on anyone's FUCA replacement service ticket, but it clearly spelled out in the Tesla service manual)

This also includes i.e. the normal performance form 2019 which also has 310 miles but its actually 325 miles.
I believe the LR AWD was 310 miles and the Performance M3 from 2018 was below 300, but I never was gonna spend that much on a M3 so I didn't pay close attention to it. I believe the update was ONLY for the RWD model as it was artificially lowered in rated range to make the dual motor cars look better, I don't think the other two 2018 cars ever got extra range on the display from just software.

Reactions: outdoors