Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
September 2018 Model 3 LR RWD (3.5 years old)
74,305 miles
100% range: 295 miles (according to TeslaFi)
I keep the car plugged in at home when not in use and supercharge on several road trips per year.
No battery or drivetrain issues.

Screenshot_20220315-105503.png

September 2018 Model 3 LR RWD (3.5 years old)
74,305 miles
100% range: 295 miles (according to TeslaFi)
I keep the car plugged in at home when not in use and supercharge on several road trips per year.
No battery or drivetrain issues.

View attachment 781264
Almost the same, Mar 18 Model 3 LR RWD 50k miles, bought used with about 24k, no problems at all. I too leave it plugged-in and only super charge on trips. I'm not sure of range at full charge, it's been six months and I don't remember

Reactions: Snowball316
Almost the same, Mar 18 Model 3 LR RWD 50k miles, bought used with about 24k, no problems at all. I too leave it plugged-in and only super charge on trips. I'm not sure of range at full charge, it's been six months and I don't remember
Same.

For myself I already stopped caring of about the "estimated EPA range" on the dashboard and switched to percent now

Annual, Biennial and Quadrennial Model 3 maintenance?

I hit 4 years this week. The manual says all I need to do is change the cabin filter, and nothing last year. I remember getting myself all psyched for a coolant change this year, but I read “Your Battery coolant does not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle under most circumstances.”

I hit 4 years this week. The manual says all I need to do is change the cabin filter, and nothing last year. I remember getting myself all psyched for a coolant change this year, but I read “Your Battery coolant does not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle under most circumstances.”
so glad that's the case. plus: you'd think the car would "know" if the battery coolant loses effectiveness and tell you that a replacement is needed (judging by battery temp and how long it takes to cool battery down to target temp)

AC desiccant? Brake fluid check?

brake fluid check you can do yourself with a test strip / electric tester. *only* replace if it has drawn too much moisture. otherwise nothing needed.

AC desiccant bag YMMV. I don't recall that ever servicing with any other vehicle and it's not a safety feature..; might be able to stretch further than 4yrs

While not necessarily a safety feature, the A/C system is critical to proper vehicle function since it supports the battery and powertrain electronics in addition to the cabin. I'm curious about the desiccant bag since it was mentioned as being a regular service item on previous Teslas.

Reactions: theocguy

Sorry I am at two year mark, but during your ownership of four years did your UI show maintenance service reminders? Or is it something we have to reference from a doc page on the Tesla website ?

Sorry I am at two year mark, but during your ownership of four years did your UI show maintenance service reminders? Or is it something we have to reference from a doc page on the Tesla website ?
i dont think the UI does - but i wish it would. preferably even smart sensor based... for e.g. "replace cabin air filter = pressure/load on fan higher"

Reactions: Snowball316
i dont think the UI does - but i wish it would. preferably even smart sensor based... for e.g. "replace cabin air filter = pressure/load on fan higher"
interesting to find out why Tesla does not do the maintenance reminder like other ICE cars. It will be helpful to have a reminder but i will have to just put it in my reminder app.

I believe that the desiccant bag just keeps condensate from pooling and causing a bad smell when you start the AC.
As far as regular maintenance reminders. There's no regular maintenance to be reminded of. You have to let go of ICE miseries. Your EV needs about as much regular maintenance as your refrigerator - in other words, a little cleaning on the inside but nothing mechanical. That's one reason the dealers hate them.

interesting to find out why Tesla does not do the maintenance reminder like other ICE cars.
Yeah, cause the way you pay for your ICE car is at the dealer's service center, the EVs you pay for it all up front.

The Tesla WILL let you know if service is required, anything it detects it will let you know to schedule a service appt. I have even read people say the parts get ordered in advance of you making the appt.

Yeah, cause the way you pay for your ICE car is at the dealer's service center, the EVs you pay for it all up front.

The Tesla WILL let you know if service is required, anything it detects it will let you know to schedule a service appt. I have even read people say the parts get ordered in advance of you making the appt.
true. that being said... if you live near the ocean or in an area with salted roads in the winter... probably a good idea to lift the vehicle up and check points every 2 yrs (at least)... corrosion is a formidable enemy and can eat up components regardless if it's an EV or ICE

I believe that the desiccant bag just keeps condensate from pooling and causing a bad smell when you start the AC.
As far as regular maintenance reminders. There's no regular maintenance to be reminded of. You have to let go of ICE miseries. Your EV needs about as much regular maintenance as your refrigerator - in other words, a little cleaning on the inside but nothing mechanical. That's one reason the dealers hate them.

The desiccant bag dries out the refrigerant charge and prevents moisture from ruining the system.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and needs to be replaced periodically. EVs need much less maintenance but they are not maintenance free.