TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

"High Mileage" CPO

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Chargersflyer, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chargersflyer

Chargersflyer Member

Wanted to start a discussion regarding the CPOs were released today and will continue to be released. It appears that they are mainly 2012-2014 with >50,000 miles. They come with a CPO warranty of 2 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). As I have been lurking on the sidelines for a while now, these may be a nice place to jump in as a first time EV/Tesla owner. I have always been a buy a used car that is the newest year model and lowest mileage that you can afford. These do not fit that description but the risk/reward of purchasing one of these appears relatively minor. Wanted to capture the forums views on "high mileage" Teslas and the value of the warranty, plus residual value in 2-3 years. Thanks for your comments and insights.

Gavin
    Looking for a model S w/ RFS in Memphis.

2. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I'm going to bet that many of these are ex-loaners. I was at the Houston Westchase service center yesterday to get a few small parts, and they were prepping 6 new 90D's as their new loaners. Apparently the previous 85 & P85 loaners are now going into the CPO program.

I would not be apprehensive about the high mileage on these CPO's. As long as the vehicle is clean and has the 2 yr/100K mile warranty, I think they could be a good buy.

• Like x 2
  3. Pando

Pando Member

#3 Pando, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    • Funny x 1
  4. Touch0fRed

Touch0fRed Member

Is the two year warranty specific to these cars, or this this a new classification of CPO? CPOs typically carry a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty.

5. Touch0fRed

Touch0fRed Member

6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I totally would have bought one of these if they had been available 6 months ago when I was shopping. I have zero heartburn with high mileage Model S's

• Like x 1
  7. shadowinstallz

how did you find this?? i couldnt pull it on the tesla.com site nor the evcpo site. just curious/ thanks

8. twonius

twonius Member

All the cars under $40k are gone.

Honestly there were some good deals in there, probably some will turn a profit flipping them.

• Informative x 1
  9. croman

croman Active Member

Damn I was thinking about doing that. There was an 85 with 68k miles for 34.5k plus transit fee!

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

There's 23 more under $40k listed now.

• Like x 2
  11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

• Helpful x 1
  12. Pando

Pando Member

Pulled up in ev-cpo classic, sorted by price. It's now sold, but it was there earlier.

I tend to use the classic list for its simplicity, like using a spreadsheet.

• Like x 1
  13. vesder21

vesder21 Member

pulled the trigger and upgraded to a red 2013 p85 with studio sound, air suspension, and pano roof. the exact same config as my current 2013 60kwh for less. now i just have to sell/trade in my old dependable ride :eek:(

• Like x 5
  14. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Is high mileage even an issue with a Tesla? I know with an ICE all kinds of things can wear out and go wrong as the miles add up, but how about an EV?

15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Tesla adds lots of Certified Pre-Owned Model S vehicles for less than $40,000 with new warranty

The automaker is now listing a lot of new Certified Pre-Owned Model S vehicles for less than $40,000. While you could sometimes find a used Model S in the $40,000 price range from different resellers or directly from the owners, it was rare to find a used Tesla Model S for that price in Tesla’s Certified Pre-Owned program. Under the program, the vehicles receive a full inspection and a four-year, 50,000 miles limited warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance on top of the remaining years/mileage of their battery and drivetrain warranty. But now Tesla is introducing a new version of the program for high mileage cars. They added dozens of them to their list and several are just over $30,000:

These vehicles also receive “a full inspection, remaining battery and drive warranty”, but they get “a two-year, 100,000 miles maximum odometer pre-owned limited warranty with 24-hour roadside assistance” – instead of 4 years and 50,000 more miles.

[​IMG]

16. Economite

Economite Member

The pricing here is really strange. Seems like they are paying a lot more attention to "model year"/options than to mileage.

17. hmmm

hmmm Member

I think you're correct re. provenance. The approach at the busiest service centers has/had been to turn many trade-ins into loaners to meet demand. Now that tesla is moving back to the original approach, using their most top of the line possible car as loaners, they have to move these "legacy" cars.

As a side note, how are the SASs holding up with high mileage, any experience? i.e. prone to leakage? That would be one thing I would be mindful of...it just "feels" like it could be expensive to fix out of warranty.

18. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Just had a 2013 loaner for 3 weeks and I can say with a fair amount of confidence that that old car was still frickin' awesome!

• Like x 4
  19. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

While these prices are low, they are very close to what a new m3 will cost that includes has AP capabilities. Still a great way to get into a model S though!

20. hmmm

hmmm Member