Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"High Mileage" CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to start a discussion regarding the CPOs were released today and will continue to be released. It appears that they are mainly 2012-2014 with >50,000 miles. They come with a CPO warranty of 2 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). As I have been lurking on the sidelines for a while now, these may be a nice place to jump in as a first time EV/Tesla owner. I have always been a buy a used car that is the newest year model and lowest mileage that you can afford. These do not fit that description but the risk/reward of purchasing one of these appears relatively minor. Wanted to capture the forums views on "high mileage" Teslas and the value of the warranty, plus residual value in 2-3 years. Thanks for your comments and insights.

Gavin
Looking for a model S w/ RFS in Memphis.

I'm going to bet that many of these are ex-loaners. I was at the Houston Westchase service center yesterday to get a few small parts, and they were prepping 6 new 90D's as their new loaners. Apparently the previous 85 & P85 loaners are now going into the CPO program.

I would not be apprehensive about the high mileage on these CPO's. As long as the vehicle is clean and has the 2 yr/100K mile warranty, I think they could be a good buy.

Reactions: byeLT4 and bigez1
Tesla adds lots of Certified Pre-Owned Model S vehicles for less than $40,000 with new warranty

The automaker is now listing a lot of new Certified Pre-Owned Model S vehicles for less than $40,000. While you could sometimes find a used Model S in the $40,000 price range from different resellers or directly from the owners, it was rare to find a used Tesla Model S for that price in Tesla’s Certified Pre-Owned program. Under the program, the vehicles receive a full inspection and a four-year, 50,000 miles limited warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance on top of the remaining years/mileage of their battery and drivetrain warranty. But now Tesla is introducing a new version of the program for high mileage cars. They added dozens of them to their list and several are just over $30,000:

These vehicles also receive “a full inspection, remaining battery and drive warranty”, but they get “a two-year, 100,000 miles maximum odometer pre-owned limited warranty with 24-hour roadside assistance” – instead of 4 years and 50,000 more miles.

upload_2017-6-6_20-48-12-png.230130

Tesla adds lots of Certified Pre-Owned Model S vehicles for less than $40,000 with new warranty

The automaker is now listing a lot of new Certified Pre-Owned Model S vehicles for less than $40,000. While you could sometimes find a used Model S in the $40,000 price range from different resellers or directly from the owners, it was rare to find a used Tesla Model S for that price in Tesla’s Certified Pre-Owned program. Under the program, the vehicles receive a full inspection and a four-year, 50,000 miles limited warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance on top of the remaining years/mileage of their battery and drivetrain warranty. But now Tesla is introducing a new version of the program for high mileage cars. They added dozens of them to their list and several are just over $30,000:

These vehicles also receive “a full inspection, remaining battery and drive warranty”, but they get “a two-year, 100,000 miles maximum odometer pre-owned limited warranty with 24-hour roadside assistance” – instead of 4 years and 50,000 more miles.

upload_2017-6-6_20-48-12-png.230130

The pricing here is really strange. Seems like they are paying a lot more attention to "model year"/options than to mileage.

I'm going to bet that many of these are ex-loaners. I was at the Houston Westchase service center yesterday to get a few small parts, and they were prepping 6 new 90D's as their new loaners. Apparently the previous 85 & P85 loaners are now going into the CPO program.

I would not be apprehensive about the high mileage on these CPO's. As long as the vehicle is clean and has the 2 yr/100K mile warranty, I think they could be a good buy.

I think you're correct re. provenance. The approach at the busiest service centers has/had been to turn many trade-ins into loaners to meet demand. Now that tesla is moving back to the original approach, using their most top of the line possible car as loaners, they have to move these "legacy" cars.

As a side note, how are the SASs holding up with high mileage, any experience? i.e. prone to leakage? That would be one thing I would be mindful of...it just "feels" like it could be expensive to fix out of warranty.