Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage due to road trips. Continue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daily commute is only about 20 miles per day. However, I visit family often and it's 500-mile round trips once or twice a month. So now my 11-month-old X has 14K miles on it. While not super high mileage, I'm thinking about switching to my minivan to stay around the standard 12K miles/year avg. Do you folks drive it a lot, odometer be damned, or stay around/less than the 12K/year?

I drive a lot for work, and it's tempting to stop driving my S so much to extend the warranty. I have a 4 year, 50K mile warranty from a CPO purchase. Already burned through about 37K miles in 2 years. I say it's tempting, but I haven't actually stopped driving it, and I suspect that will remain true and I'll run out of warranty after less than 3 years.

That bugs me a bit, but I'm made happier by having an unlimited mileage warranty on the drivetrain (I also get the remainder of the 8 year drivetrain unlimited mileage warranty it had).

Probably what worries me most considering all this is the MCU or whatever it's called -- the center screen and all it's attached hardware. I wish they would add that to the drivetrain part of the warranty. Then I would be happy.

Reactions: WINGIT
We have our X since last week of October 2016. We currently have 8800 kilometers Wich is about 5500 miles. On average we do 33k to 35k kilometers a year Wich is about 21k miles a year. We are looking at 4 year warranty being just over two years. Ya it sucks but cars are meant to be driven. Especially with free supercharging. Why wouldn't you want to drive it? Drive it like you stole it. Its what it's for

I'm trying to stay around 12k per year. I thought that would be enough long trips, but I've been thinking of blowing off that limitation. I assume insurance would also increase at some point, though on a per mile basis it's probably more cost efficient to go high mileage.

It’s a catch-22; they’re beautiful cars and some of us want to garage queen them. But, being expensive cars as these are coupled with their electric nature, I feel the more you drive it, the more value you derive. My work commute’s only 20 miles round trip, and, as silly as it sounds, wish sometimes I had a longer commute!

Don’t stiff yourself outta riding in your Tesla to save some money on depreciation. If you were worried about that kind of money, you wouldn’t have purchased a six figure car in the first place, right?

I use the S every chance my family gets over the ICE, and I’ve still only managed 10.5k miles since August ‘16. I really need to go see my friend in Huntington Beach...

tl;dr I feel the more you drive a Tesla, the more value you derive vs being in an ICE with the perk of being in the damned coolest car in the solar system.

We average 150km (93 miles) per day, then at least once a week there's a trip to my head office that works out to 250km (155 miles). today's mileage is in my signature below. She's made one trip to Mile Zero from north of Toronto and my next road trip i'm hoping to head to our Head Office in St. Louis. Trying to hit 150,000km (93,205 miles) by the car's third birthday with just over a month to go. We also have an ICE that is close to the same age, it has a third of the mileage on the odometer because if we're going to drive something we'll always choose the Tesla first.
Enjoy your Tesla, it's got to be one of the major reasons you bought it, and can't imagine wanting to do a 500 mile drive in a minivan with no Autopilot.

Reactions: Mickie
A whole lot of Teslas have a lot of miles on them - mine is closing in on 30k in ~18 months - but they wear them well. The lack of heat and vibration reduces the wear and tear that goes with mileage quite a bit from what Iv'e seen.

I have to think that the market is going to eventually adjust to take into account how little difference all the mileage makes on an EV. And if not, well, you'll be in good company. :)

Excellent replies here guys.

I'm not worried about depreciation. It's the old mentality that cars are considered high mileage if you go significantly over 12K miles/year. Someone brought up a good point that EVs don't have as much wear and tear as an ICE car so we shouldn't use the 12K/year marker. So then for academic reasons, at which rate would you consider an EV to be high mileage?

Excellent replies here guys.

I'm not worried about depreciation. It's the old mentality that cars are considered high mileage if you go significantly over 12K miles/year. Someone brought up a good point that EVs don't have as much wear and tear as an ICE car so we shouldn't use the 12K/year marker. So then for academic reasons, at which rate would you consider an EV to be high mileage?

could vary person to person still but 50k miles per year sounds right to me :)

2014 with 70K on it. Drive it like you stole it.

Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

The Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Model S or X lithium-ion battery for a period of 8 years or unlimited miles/km, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles (200,000 km), whichever comes first. To provide you with even more assurance, the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a battery fire even if it is the result of driver error, subject to certain exclusions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby