Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage Model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see on TezLab that the top ODO guys have up to 138K miles, my 55K miles on my Mar. 2018 TM3 doesn't even get me into the top 50 on the leaderboard, though I am close. I have had great luck with my car and Love Love Love driving it. Retired, so I do Supercharger Hunting to give me a place to go.

I did do the 100% charge this week for a road trip and discovered that it only made it to 303 miles. Not a BIG deal as I was only ever seeing 310 on a full charge. It helped that I rarely charged to 100%. I drove it to zero and charged back to 100% just to be sure and it made it to 306. Not too different from the best I ever saw. Perhaps I can just relax now that I have been thru the early degradation. Shame that the update that took the early TM3s to 325 miles range didn't do anything but take me BACK to 310 miles.

FYI I recently learned there is a trick to the “drive until almost empty then charge to 100%” deal to try to retrain the battery. Apparently the BMS needs to “rest” after each step in order to actually learn where zero and full are. I was told run to near empty (10% is fine) then let it rest for a few hours, then charge to full (90% is fine) and let it rest for a few hours. Rest means no sentry mode, no nothing. Let’s the car go to sleep and allows the BMS to mark the voltage and learn the top and bottom of the battery. This was from a Tesla Ranger guy who really seems to know his stuff.

Let us know what parts are the culprit when repaired. This is worrisome as many have reported control arm bushings and other related front suspension parts failing prematurely.
When I first got the car this was an issue with mine. I hit a speed bump and it would 'girkakirk'. Just on the front. I found a speed bump with a drain in the middle and ran each tire thru the gap and discovered it was only on the driver's side. First trip in they replaced everything in the suspension at San Rafael, same issue. Second trip in they REALLY replaced everything in the suspension at Fremont, same issue. They said I would have to wait for a rev. on the part to get the issue resolved. I went in months later to the Santa Barbara one (on a road trip), the guy looked it up and said there was now a rev. D out, so I made an appt. at the Dublin one, and when I got it to my speed bump, no sound.

Took a LONG time to get fixed. Perhaps those that came after me just need that one part (control arm?) swapped as the old design made noise even when freshly installed.

66k Miles, not exactly high but I certainly drive it. I have also taken it to about 6 track days now. We regularly see triple digits, safely.

Left upper control arm went under warranty, as did a wheel bearing. I have replaced the top and back glass now.

As far as range, I am between 248 and 260 on a 90% charge. Last charge to 100% on a warm day I saw 286 miles, but that was more than 6 months ago.

I replaced all the suspension with MPP Sport coilovers goodies, and that made a huge difference, though it did develop a tiny interior squeak from the rear on really rough roads after the shocks went in.

I totally destroyed the fabric underbody shield in front, so I replaced it with MPP aluminum skid plate, works very nice.

I am just now on my 3rd set of tires, so I feel the performance of the P4S justifies its expense.

I am amazingly happy with this car, and I don't regret paying the significant payment every month. It's the first new car I have ever bought, My charging is 95% free, and my commutes are so much better with FSD than in my 2010 Honda Insight.

If there was a niggling issue its the USB tracks skipping sometimes, that's it. I suspect it might be the USB drive even.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I'm at 120,000km (75k miles) on a 2018 LR RWD. Just starting to have issues now, heater stopped working ($1100 CAD to replace) and charger door won't open or close with the app/screen ($500 to replace).

Both are software issues as far as I'm concerned heater works after car has gone into a deep sleep but stops once I put the car into Park. Charger door has stopped working in the past and the next software update fixed it so waiting on that too, in the meantime I'll pry it open each time.

Only other issue was the lack of mudguards on the car when it was new. Here is Canada the salt and sand on the roads in winter wore the paint off the front edge of the rockers and is the biggest disappointment with the car. The free ones I got from Tesla are ok, but they still rub and cause the paint to come off leading to rust so I have to remove them every 6 months and sand & paint the bare metal again.

120,000km (~75k miles).
Left upper control arm replaced under warranty.
Windshield replaced due to stone chip in first week of ownership.

Just starting to have issues now, heater stopped working ($1100 CAD to replace) and charger door won't open or close with the app/screen ($500 to replace).

Both are software issues as far as I'm concerned heater works after car has gone into a deep sleep but stops once I put the car into Park. Charger door has stopped working in the past and the next software update fixed it so waiting on that too, in the meantime I'll pry it open each time.

Only other issue was the lack of mudguards on the car when it was new. Here is Canada the salt and sand on the roads in winter wore the paint off the front edge of the rockers and is the biggest disappointment with the car. The free ones I got from Tesla are ok, but they still rub and cause the paint to come off leading to rust so I have to remove them every 6 months and sand & paint the bare metal again.

120,000km (~75k miles).
Left upper control arm replaced under warranty.
Windshield replaced due to stone chip in first week of ownership.

Just starting to have issues now, heater stopped working ($1100 CAD to replace) and charger door won't open or close with the app/screen ($500 to replace).

That is lame. I don’t live in such a climate but had heard of this and DIY’d PPF in that area as soon as I got the car. I’d suggest installing the new 10-mil XPEL in that area - wrapped all the way around the front of the rocker, if you’re up for it.

What did you end up replacing if your problems were software issues? I don’t understand.

• Helpful
Reactions: Apone
That is lame. I don’t live in such a climate but had heard of this and DIY’d PPF in that area as soon as I got the car. I’d suggest installing the new 10-mil XPEL in that area - wrapped all the way around the front of the rocker, if you’re up for it.

What did you end up replacing if your problems were software issues? I don’t understand.
No replacement parts yet, the heater works as described and the charge door I can open manually. I won't be surprised if both are fixed by software updates, if the problems persist over a few updates then I'll consider the heater fix but the charge door is very low priority.

I am at 12000 miles in 6 months not one thing or one problem so far, Tires are great very little wear brakes seem find I love this car so much fun to drive I charge about 4 times a week. Bring to 100 percent prior to any long trips works great that way have used many super chargers.Works great for me wish I would have know about the long range battery. But there getting better on a daily basis ill get another when there getting the best range Love my Model 3

I've seen people put a small piece of vinyl under the mud flaps to protect the paint from dirt and abrasion.

No replacement parts yet, the heater works as described and the charge door I can open manually. I won't be surprised if both are fixed by software updates, if the problems persist over a few updates then I'll consider the heater fix but the charge door is very low priority.
So technically you haven't spent anything on service or failure yet, not counting any tire changes

63K miles.

Three accidents, one that required 30 days at a body shop, the other two were fixed while I waited, at a Service Center.

Just put on the second set of wipers.
The cabin filters were changed last year.

Wondering when the 12 volt battery will need replacing...

The charge port door mechanism needed replacing when was just out of warranty, but Tesla comp'ed that.

Coming up to needing a couple more tires, soon.

100% charge is a fraction under 300 miles

• Love
Reactions: Electroman