Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage Model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
63K miles.

Three accidents, one that required 30 days at a body shop, the other two were fixed while I waited, at a Service Center.

Just put on the second set of wipers.
The cabin filters were changed last year.

Wondering when the 12 volt battery will need replacing...

The charge port door mechanism needed replacing when was just out of warranty, but Tesla comp'ed that.

Coming up to needing a couple more tires, soon.

100% charge is a fraction under 300 miles
When i asked mobile service how often the 12v goes out he said every 3 years. So he said before your warranty is up just put a request to change the 12v battery so you don't have to pay for it.

Reactions: Callawayc7
When i asked mobile service how often the 12v goes out he said every 3 years. So he said before your warranty is up just put a request to change the 12v battery so you don't have to pay for it.
Can you request a new one without it going out? I would imagine you could just make up a story to make it sound like it was going bad, but they probably run some sort of diagnostic to check that.

My wife’s Pacifica just had to have the 12v battery replaced and it cost me $800, so I’m extra sensitive to this happening.

I should have requested one for my W211 E500 4matic estate. NEVER left me stranded and in the top 3 of the most reliable vehicle I've owned. First major problem arose at 198K miles. I sold it right away.
I had a 2010 GLK350 with 280,000kms on it. Had no major problems, regular service basically over that time. It was a fantastic car. Bought the Tesla 3 SR+ as I didn't want any hassles when things did start going wrong, plus of course wanted a Tesla so no gas costs once I retired. Truly loved the GLK and sold it for around $7000.

Can you request a new one without it going out? I would imagine you could just make up a story to make it sound like it was going bad, but they probably run some sort of diagnostic to check that.

My wife’s Pacifica just had to have the 12v battery replaced and it cost me $800, so I’m extra sensitive to this happening.
You can just buy one from Tesla for $80 and install it yourself. No need to lie, since if they are going to replace it they will check the log files for error messages related to the 12v.

Are you sure the Pacifica 12v battery cost $800? My brother has the Pacifica Hybrid and I don't remember if the battery is under the hood. If the 12v battery is under the 2nd row floor along with the high voltage battery, then it might cost more time and labor to get to it.

Edit: just looked it up and it seems like the Pacific 12v battery is located on the driver side of the rear passenger compartment. And it's a Group Size H6 battery (AGM) that you can find anywhere for around $150.

Last edited:
Reactions: El joe
You can just buy one from Tesla for $80 and install it yourself. No need to lie, since if they are going to replace it they will check the log files for error messages related to the 12v.

Are you sure the Pacifica 12v battery cost $800? My brother has the Pacifica Hybrid and I don't remember if the battery is under the hood. If the 12v battery is under the 2nd row floor along with the high voltage battery, then it might cost more time and labor to get to it.

Edit: just looked it up and it seems like the Pacific 12v battery is located on the driver side of the rear passenger compartment. And it's a Group Size H6 battery (AGM) that you can find anywhere for around $150.
Yeah, I have a hunch we got screwed on labor costs. We just bought it from Carmax in September and this is the second issue we've had with it, but this wasn't covered under the MaxCare warranty. Go figure. :/

I'm not very hands-on when it comes to car repairs, obviously, but I'll take a look at replacing the 12v myself when/if the time comes especially after getting burned by the Pacifica.

Thanks!

I'm not very hands-on when it comes to car repairs, obviously, but I'll take a look at replacing the 12v myself when/if the time comes especially after getting burned by the Pacifica.
While I haven't REPLACED the 12V, I have accessed it for a hard reset of the car. The Mountain Pass Instructions for the hard reset include accessing the 12V (which is on the passenger side under the rear seat). You should be able to glean out of this what you need to replace the battery.

[Moderator Edit: 12V Battery is in the frunk, not under the rear seat, as pointed out in subsequent posts]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: El joe
66k Miles, not exactly high but I certainly drive it. I have also taken it to about 6 track days now. We regularly see triple digits, safely.

Left upper control arm went under warranty, as did a wheel bearing. I have replaced the top and back glass now.

As far as range, I am between 248 and 260 on a 90% charge. Last charge to 100% on a warm day I saw 286 miles, but that was more than 6 months ago.

I replaced all the suspension with MPP Sport coilovers goodies, and that made a huge difference, though it did develop a tiny interior squeak from the rear on really rough roads after the shocks went in.

I totally destroyed the fabric underbody shield in front, so I replaced it with MPP aluminum skid plate, works very nice.

I am just now on my 3rd set of tires, so I feel the performance of the P4S justifies its expense.

I am amazingly happy with this car, and I don't regret paying the significant payment every month. It's the first new car I have ever bought, My charging is 95% free, and my commutes are so much better with FSD than in my 2010 Honda Insight.

If there was a niggling issue its the USB tracks skipping sometimes, that's it. I suspect it might be the USB drive even.
66K miles, including 6 track days and on 3rd set of tires? That sounds fairly impressive some how. How many miles on each set?

66K miles, including 6 track days and on 3rd set of tires? That sounds fairly impressive some how. How many miles on each set?

Well the last 2 track days were on Federal 595RSR, so each set of tires saw 2 track days and lasted about 25-30k miles.

P4S actually last pretty well if you drive them moderately. When pushed really hard they chunk heavily, but if you are nice to them they last ok.

My track days are typically cool lap/hot lap/cool lap so I don't tend to torture them lap after lap and overheat them.

Granted each time I have replaced the tires, there has been at least polyester cord showing, sometimes steel as well. I typically take my tires way further than most dare to.

While I haven't REPLACED the 12V, I have accessed it for a hard reset of the car. (which is on the passenger side under the rear seat)
Sorry to contradict you, but the 12V battery is in the frunk, under the cover right above the storage space. And I say that because I checked the terminals for tightness, so I know for a fact it's there :). And also topped off the coolant reservoir, which was right at the 'min' level. What you 'accessed' was the high-voltage battery pack. But you're correct that a hard reset is done there. I'm going to read the instructions how to do that again, in case I need to (which came close on our first trip, when screen froze, and refused to reboot for a while). Take care.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Interesting how people interpret what others say.
I didn't 'interpret' anything'; THAT WAS what he said, clear as water. And yes, I get he didn't mean that too, but just wanted to correct the record, for future Tesla buyers who don't know the car the way we do :).

By the way, I wonder if just disconnecting the 12V battery negative side (what you do on an ICE car) could fix issues the screen reset couldn't, without the need for a full hard reset. I might try that first, if I ever need to do that. Then proceed to disconnect the negative terminal again, and then the contactor, if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevy Baby
I didn't 'interpret' anything'; THAT WAS what he said, clear as water. And yes, I get he didn't mean that too, but just wanted to correct the record, for future Tesla buyers who don't know the car the way we do :).
In re-reading things, you are 100% correct: the 12 volt battery is in the frunk. You access the high voltage pack under the rear seat.

My post above is incorrect, but it is too late for me to edit it unfortunately. My apologies for this incorrect info.

--------------

ETA: Mountain Pass has instructions for installing their 12 volt battery and I am sure they can be used to install any replacement 12 volt. I have not read these for accuracy, but MP usually has spot-on info.

Reactions: Phlier