Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage model x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering a very high mileage 2021 model x with 75k miles. this will be my first electric car, so I have no idea, but the price seems right. I assume since it is electric high mileage is not that bad and it has 1year tesla warranty.
also it says it has 150k batter warranty, what does that mean, do they change the batter if it degrades. We drive 8-9k a year btw.

75,000 mi is not high miles. We have over 260,000 on our model s, a December 2014 (still the original battery). I'm not sure when they changed the warranty so you'll have to read it. Used to be not degradation but only failure of the battery. At some point I do believe they did change it to include degradation, but if it gets that bad it was about to die anyway! So the battery is warranty 150,000 mi or 8 years from manufacturers, whatever comes first.

Oh, the effect of mileage is more pronounced on the smaller batteries, i.e. 75 kilowatt hour. That's because they have to be charged more often for the same amount of miles driven. Still, this mileage is relatively low.

In late 2020 they built a number of 2021 Model X before pausing production to retool for the ”Refresh” model, those are known as 2021 prerefresh. I have one, my nephew has a 2020 from just before, and the only difference I have found is the prerefresh has wireless charging flip-up in the console, the 2020 has a plug. Both were called MXP Raven at the time.

Reactions: cktemp
so refresh models are 2022s? I don't care about interior or looks etc.
- I care ride quality
- quietness
- unupgradeable technology like main cpu/gpu that can limit future upgrades like selfdriving etc

Then just make sure to get a 2019+ Raven model. They have adaptive suspension, FSD computer, and a permanent magnet motor in the front for better range/efficiency & 1 pedal driving. And if you want the best ride quality (and range), go for the 20" wheels. I have a 2019 Raven and it came with the 22" wheels, which look great but kill efficiency (plus the tires don't last nearly as long and the tow rating is reduced to 3500lbs). I switched mine out to 20" Cyberstream wheels from the newer "refresh" models, which are the best looking 20s Tesla has made for the X IMO.

Early 2019's are NOT raven models, you have to check the "additional information" screen to look for adaptive suspension/PM front motor or check the suspension settings. Non-raven models won't have adjustable settings, such as comfort or sport

Right now there are no MCU upgrade options for the pre-refresh Raven models, so you are stuck with the MCU 2 but still get the FSD computer. Be aware that pre-refresh models do NOT get remote Sentry viewing in the app, or the ability to open all the doors with one button via the app. It wasn't a deal breaker for me, but it might be for some. Also, the pre-refresh dont use the phone key system (you get key fobs, which i prefer anyways). You can still use the app to unlock and drive the car, but it won't auto-unlock and drive. And the app functions won't work unless you have cell service

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacernow and cktemp
Thanks for the answers mate, this one is 2021 so I assume it is raven.
Cyberstream look awesome, this one has 20" silvers std ones :( .
does changing silver window trims easy? I love the black look.
I am having my chrome delete done with my window tinting in 2 weeks. Costs about $500, or you can do it yourself with a kit. You can always get the wheels painted/powder coated black! I dont really like the older 20s but at least they look better in black.

I bough my set of Cyberstreams with brand new tires taken from a newly purchased MX from a wheel shop. I traded in my 22" Onyx Turbines with new Pirellis and still had to pay $500 since one of the wheels had some damage and was poorly touched up (how I bought it), and I managed to get TWO nails in 2 different tires on the way to the tire shop 😡. I'm sure I could have sold them for more, but didn't want to deal with storing them and haggling with people lol.

75k is high, but those had to be mostly highway miles. I would be less concerned about a high milage Tesla than an ICE vehicle. Price still has to make sense though! And it's unfortunate you can't check the battery degradation before purchasing from tesla, as it was probably supercharged often. That being said, I actually have heard of some people getting info on the 90 or 100% charge range from their sales rep before delivery. It's worth asking, but I wouldn't count on it.

For reference, I bought a 2019 MXPL Raven 6-seater last month for $79,900 with only 13,450mi (private dealer, not Tesla). Picked up a 7yr/100k mi warranty (until 2030) with a $100 deductible through the dealer that covers everything including the HV battery and drive units for $4,400. And yes, I read over everything and even called the warranty company (corner stone) before i purchased the warranty to confirm the coverage. For some reason, the only unusual thing not covered (besides the usual wear and tear items) were the headlights/taillights. I was ok with this since coverage for the HV batt and DU were more important to me.

4400 is good for 100 deductible. I will be ok with 300-400 deductible. this one has 1 year tesla warranty, maybe extended warranty will be cheaper since it has active warranty .
how important is FSD, this one has FSD whichis 15k option.
So it comes down to high mileage 2021 or low mileage 2019

(U.K.)
I am 2 weeks from a 2017 MX P100DL. 47,000mi, FSD, 22” wheels, CCS upgrade, sound, weather, tow, PUP, eMMC fix, HW3 and heater replaced.
Only MCU1 so will need £1700 ($2100) for upgrade.

It’s got 18 months 3rd party warranty and I have read/watched every bit of info online about MX issues so I can identify and get them fixed before it ends. Not sure id be brave/stupid enough to get one out of warranty without some cover. Your price for 7year/100k is impressive Lectric. I think 3 years here would be >$4k

And
Are excellent for foundation of what used MX specs and what you might want to look out for Cktemp.

so refresh models are 2022s? I don't care about interior or looks etc.
- I care ride quality
- quietness
- unupgradeable technology like main cpu/gpu that can limit future upgrades like selfdriving etc
Refresh X begin in 2021, sometimes called 2021+. I’m sure the majority of 21’s are Refresh since they came out in the summer and had a few months of production and the prerefresh was only built ~11/20 to ~1/21.
Quick visual difference is yoke & horizontal screen in the 21+/Refresh.

Refresh X begin in 2021, sometimes called 2021+. I’m sure the majority of 21’s are Refresh since they came out in the summer and had a few months of production and the prerefresh was only built ~11/20 to ~1/21.
Quick visual difference is yoke & horizontal screen in the 21+/Refresh.
Actually the refresh X's didn't come out until late 2021 around October. You may be thinking of the refreshed S, which came out in early 2021. The pre-refresh (Raven) models were produced starting in April 2019 until the refresh in late 2021

You can also easily tell a refresh from the front fog lights (and lower front fascia)!

Here is a GREAT list to use as reference for year over year important changes. Its actually accurate from what I can tell, compared to many other sites with misinformation:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 5.08.21 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 5.08.21 PM.png
    526.1 KB · Views: 202
  • Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 5.09.38 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 5.09.38 PM.png
    299 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cktemp and henderrj
Extended Warranties from a third party will find every way imaginable to deny your claim. I spent almost 11K in warranty coverage for the whole car for 3/36,000, and the battery died within ten days, and they denied the $14,000 repair, claiming they would deny the claim even if it were 10,000 miles on the battery. They are ruthless and only exist to make money, not protect consumers. Beware.

Seventy-five thousand miles has a lot of caveats, but I honestly don't believe the 200,000 - 300,000 mile claim anymore, so I bought a new Tesla, never again dealing with a used one.