Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitch hissing noise in the 35-65mph range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just started noticing this hissing/cricket sound in my 3 month old 2021 MYLR. It starts in the 30-40 mph range and seems to slowly peter off above 60-65 mph. It happens regardless of whether I'm accelerating or decelerating/regen. Happens with HVAC on or off. I can still hear it if I open the window. Sometimes it stops abruptly which seems to rule out wind noise. It's there more often than not, but not constant. It's possible it happens more when it's colder out, but have yet to confirm this. Here's a link to a video...turn it up and you will hear it. Any ideas? It's driving me a little nuts.

Edit: the sound is harder to hear on my MacBook. When I play it on my iPhone it's clear as day. Maybe because of the high frequency.

Last edited:
Exact same thing here.. drove it 2 hours to service center and was told it's normal and the sound of the brake pads rubbing on rotors that the engine in an ICE vehicle would cover up. I also found if you put your phone/camera down toward the floorboard you can pick up the noise better. Guess it's just something we have to get used to.
Here's the clip I got.. starts about halfway through

Use a spectrum app (I use spectroid on Android). Have someone else drive while you sit in the back and try to isolate or find the direction where it is coming from.

It may be loudest around the back seat. Take a blanket and start covering areas to see if it reduces.

Unfortunately noise complaints are not handled well by Tesla. I recently posted my frustration that I got finally resolved after THREE years, lots of documentation to show it was not normal, and escalation.

In my case it was always there and consistently reproducable. There was a missing rear perimeter seal and it should have been obvious to the techs.

Exact same thing here.. drove it 2 hours to service center and was told it's normal and the sound of the brake pads rubbing on rotors that the engine in an ICE vehicle would cover up. I also found if you put your phone/camera down toward the floorboard you can pick up the noise better. Guess it's just something we have to get used to.
Here's the clip I got.. starts about halfway through
Interesting. Do you only have it in the 40-60 mph speed range too? If so, I wonder why you’d only hear the brake pads at those speeds. I’m going to try to tighten the rear ground strap today, as others have suggested.

Interesting. Do you only have it in the 40-60 mph speed range too? If so, I wonder why you’d only hear the brake pads at those speeds. I’m going to try to tighten the rear ground strap today, as others have suggested.
Yeah same speed range for me which also doesn't make much sense.. Let me know how tightening the ground strap works. I'd think the front would need to be tightened since that seems to be where it's coming from, but I think that one is tougher to get to.

Reactions: Benito1283
Yeah same speed range for me which also doesn't make much sense.. Let me know how tightening the ground strap works. I'd think the front would need to be tightened since that seems to be where it's coming from, but I think that one is tougher to get to.
It does actually sound like a brake pad/rotor sound. If it is maybe it will slowly go away. I did just have new tires put on…hmmm.

Re: ground strap I believe the thought is that a loose ground sends feedback through the speakers or something. And 99% of our driving is typically just the rear motor. I seem to hear the sound throughout the whole car. I’ll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Removed the left rear wheel. The ground strap nut was already very tight, and I tightened even more. No improvement. I'm fairly certain it isn't wind noise because I don't hear it until I hit ~53 mph, then I hear sporadically down to 40 mph. I can drive all day under 50 mph and never hear it. I have an appt at Tesla SC Tuesday and will report back.

Removed the left rear wheel. The ground strap nut was already very tight, and I tightened even more. No improvement. I'm fairly certain it isn't wind noise because I don't hear it until I hit ~53 mph, then I hear sporadically down to 40 mph. I can drive all day under 50 mph and never hear it. I have an appt at Tesla SC Tuesday and will report back.
How did your SC appointment go?

How did your SC appointment go?
It actually had to get rescheduled because we got a lot of snow today and they said they wouldn’t be able to test drive it. Soonest they had was Feb 14th. But it’s been steadily improving on its own. Yesterday I drove about 50 miles and maybe heard the sound for a few seconds total. Or not at all and I was imagining it. Seems like it’s fixing itself, or something. Hopefully yours does too!

It actually had to get rescheduled because we got a lot of snow today and they said they wouldn’t be able to test drive it. Soonest they had was Feb 14th. But it’s been steadily improving on its own. Yesterday I drove about 50 miles and maybe heard the sound for a few seconds total. Or not at all and I was imagining it. Seems like it’s fixing itself, or something. Hopefully yours does too!
Well you said you recently got new tires, right? Did you hear this sound before you got new tires? Also how many miles do you have on it?

I woke up and drove straight to my SC this morning because I wanted to get this sound addressed. A technician came out and listened to the video, seemed to know exactly what he was hearing, but didn't mention anything. Then we went for a drive together. The second he heard the sound he said "that's your brakes, 100%." Confirmed his suspicion as he kept hearing it.

He said because Teslas barely the friction brakes due to regen, sometimes a coating of rust can build up in cold/damp conditions. I told him I tried doing some hard braking but it didn't help. He said no, it needs to be HARD braking, like going 50-60 then slamming on the brakes just short of the ABS engaging, all the way to a stop. Plus in service mode they can do it with regen disabled which helps a lot. He said he could do it with me in the car but that it's pretty alarming. I told him I'd happily wait at the SC.

So he dropped me back off and he showed me how my rotors looked vs most of the other cars there. He went out and did 10-15 super hard stops. 60 to 0 in like 2-3 seconds. He then put the car on the lift and inspected the brakes, confirmed everything looked fine, and did a minor lubrication of the calipers. He took it out again for 20 minutes and said he didn't hear the sound once. Nor did I on the 10 mile drive home. Was there for two hours total. No charge.

He said it's possible it will come back a little, or may never come back. But it should never need the intense burnishing that he did again. He said if it comes back, I can do a few hard stops on my own, preferably when it's cold so regen is low. Worst case scenario, if it comes back and it's really bad, they could see about replacing my rotors as defective under warranty.

So you may want to try this HARD braking and see if it fixes your sound. He said unless you smell burning brake dust, it's not hard enough.

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! I have exactly the same issue on my brand new 2022 model 3, and it's been driving me nuts! Same symptoms, starts at around 40 mph, HVAC doesn't matter, etc. I ruled out wind noise since it comes and goes and the frequency is extremely speed dependent (I'd think wind would vary more). Now that you guys say it's brakes, that makes a ton of sense since it disappears on the exit ram turn, likely unloading pressure on one of the calipers that's rubbing. I'm already planning on taking it into the SC but was afraid they wouldn't be able to identify it or would would say they won't fix it, but now I will let them know the exact issue!

I made a recording of it, knocked down the lower frequencies and raised the upper so it's easier to hear:

@ev_go123 yep same sound as those of us in the thread linked above. I'm kind of at a loss since @Benito1283 has had his front DU replaced along with his brakes inspected. Could still just be the way the brake pads rub, something weird with the motors they make now, or some of us hear things that others don't. It's kind of boggling, but maybe part of being early into new tech...