Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitch reduced by 7-8db

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was driving me nuts but today I have reduced high pitch noise (2.8khz) by around 7-8db as measured by my phone. The solution was to put mineral wool between drive unit and firewall. Not too elegant solution but can be easily done. If you wan to try it make sure water can still go down from the air filter area down. The amount of wool I used was around 5 square meters in total. I am very pleased with the result. The high pitch is greatly reduced. I can now listen to the music 2 steps lower on the volume. The noise is not completelly gone but its not annoying anymore.
The wool itself is not flammable, is great sound absorber and acts as a protective layer from dirt. The only culprit would be it stops the heat transfer but that should not be a problem as the components are connected through coolant link anyways to transfer the heat to radiators.

I welcome any comments.

Video

Reactions: dduffey
Keep us updated on how it goes. My experience with materials like that is that they may not absorb water, but that water tends to collect there and they still get wet/water beads on them. Problem is that water sitting there pressed against other things (metal body, etc.). I am honestly anxious to hear how this goes for you as reducing that wine in the dual-motor Teslas would be a nice thing...

I've had high pitch inverter sounds into the cabin (as well as motor/road noise) from the rear seat of my 2018 Tesla Model 3. I used some heat safe wool/barrier and then loaded mass on top of it.

But I am going to redo it and may use your idea as it will be easier to push into crevices and where there is a gap between the battery penthouse and car body.

It's a bit torn up because I was in the process of further troubleshooting and removing this old sound absorbing material.

PXL_20220103_211739309.jpg

It was driving me nuts but today I have reduced high pitch noise (2.8khz) by around 7-8db as measured by my phone. The solution was to put mineral wool between drive unit and firewall. Not too elegant solution but can be easily done. If you wan to try it make sure water can still go down from the air filter area down. The amount of wool I used was around 5 square meters in total. I am very pleased with the result. The high pitch is greatly reduced. I can now listen to the music 2 steps lower on the volume. The noise is not completelly gone but its not annoying anymore.
The wool itself is not flammable, is great sound absorber and acts as a protective layer from dirt. The only culprit would be it stops the heat transfer but that should not be a problem as the components are connected through coolant link anyways to transfer the heat to radiators.

I welcome any comments.

Video
after doing some research, it seems like the material you used is probably fiberglass instead of mineral wool? Again I might be wrong, but the mineral wool I got from Home Depot is pretty loose! Trying to find a material that you used for this application.