Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

high pitch whining noise from front when parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have a 2014 model S and recently I started to notice that it makes a high pitch whining sound from the front of the car even when it is in park for a while.

I am attaching a video with the noise as described.

Anyone else has this issue?

Thanks

Hi, I have a 2014 model S and recently I started to notice that it makes a high pitch whining sound from the front of the car even when it is in park for a while.

I am attaching a video with the noise as described.

Anyone else has this issue?

Thanks
cooling fan/pump - check to see if the louvers are open in the lower outboard side of the front grill, was it hot in Cally today?
The louvers are closed. What controls these louvers, and is it causing the noise?

Attachments

• IMG_3897.JPG
    IMG_3897.JPG
    609.7 KB · Views: 309
This is the new norm now. Started soon after batterygate when charging to 90% or greater. It’s basically extra battery protection. However, it’s a PITA if you need to charge to 100% for a road trip. When you depart, the pumps/fans run full bore so you quickly lose range up front thereby somewhat negating charging to 100%.
With 2019.20.x the threshold seems to have been lowered to 80%. I’m on 2020.4.1 now and ~80% seems to still be the threshold, including this morning. Driving a few miles and the pumps turn off.

Reactions: Droschke
I have noticed this with two previous versions, currently on 2020.4.1 and have not yet charged. I wanted to report to Tesla about it but failed... Have noticed it after each charging session the car keeps to run some kind of pump underneath the car regardless of following action, either parked or driving. It’s similar if you still charge the car and BMS is engaged to heat/cool the battery, you can hear slightly high pitching sound of equipment constantly running. If you look under the car you can hear it from the section that is behind front wheels and in front of the battery back.
First I had no clue what to do and asked help from roadside assistance which helped to get appointment at your ServiceCenter, but later I noticed this noise ends approximately three to four hours later each time (with loud clunk), so I cancelled assigned service visit. I think it has some kind of setting there (in BMS) to reach to required temperature to shut it of.
I have 2016 MS 70D, charging is set to 90% as daily limit.

Last edited:
well I have the same noice (whining) in my new 2020 Raven LR......has happened twice....Today it happened again and a message and error light came on saying it was “ Air suspension compressor unable to raise or lower the car”......also got a red indicator light on the touchscreen.....it sounds like it is trying to raise car but does not have enough air pressure thus the whining noise....It will typically stop after about 4 hours or 45 minutes of driving.....temperature around Irvine California has been very mild for the past week with lows in mid 50’s and high’s in mid 70’s.....maybe I should take it in to service center for a look see

I heard this noise couple of times last week but haven’t heard since then. Is this normal ? I tried to schedule for diagnostics in SC but they ask for $205, I don’t want to waste money and time, any thoughts?

There is a cooling loop integrated in the battery to warm/cool the cells if you have either charged or preconditioned you car before drive. It’s normal (or current) behaviour of the BMS to keep an eye on thing you can’t see. I have noticed it’s now much quieter that it was before. It seems they have optimised cooling performance in recent SW release. It is 2021.24.28 on my 2016 car.