Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched noise from drive unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That tech is what I'd call your typical dingbat! He should have just checked and tightened the screws. It would have been so easy for him to do. I was annoyed just reading that. I posted a TSB ealier in the thread which describes the noise as a vibration. Having the car on the hoist may not replicate the same forces the motor is subjected to when being driven on a roadway. But even if it did, what would it have taken for him to simply tighten the screws? If you do decide to take it back, print the TSB and have it on hand.
Thanks John. We were also annoyed by the experience, but a little green at the time, so didn't want to press the issue too much. Now that we are armed with a bit more knowledge and supporting documentation, (thanks for the TSB) we will certainly be following up on this. The noise really diminishes an otherwise wonderful driving experience.

Hey, y'all, this may be nuts, but hear me out. We started noticing the whine or high-pitched noise after a few months of owning our 3 in 2018. It's just been our constant companion ever since. It occurs mostly under light load (a little black bar) or light regen (a little green bar), fading out when the bars are longer. The stereo drowns it out, and we've just come to accept it, though not happily.

Today was our first day with 2020.48.26. On the half hour drive home from a hike this afternoon, I realized I could only slightly hear the whine in the sort of situations where it used to be quite conspicuous. Could software have affected this somehow? If so, cool!

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
For anyone that thinks that replacing the ground strap would solve anything, i can confirm that my brand new 2021 LR is doing exactly same whining, and at same speeds, as reported in this thread. By now they should have fitted the latest revision of the strap, but the problem is still there.
I'll see in few days a ranger, i'll ask to tighten the bolts removing the wheel..... and see why my left suspension make the noise of something that jumps as a loosen piece in the suspension ...:confused:

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
For anyone that thinks that replacing the ground strap would solve anything, i can confirm that my brand new 2021 LR is doing exactly same whining, and at same speeds, as reported in this thread. By now they should have fitted the latest revision of the strap, but the problem is still there.
I'll see in few days a ranger, i'll ask to tighten the bolts removing the wheel..... and see why my left suspension make the noise of something that jumps as a loosen piece in the suspension ...:confused:
My experience, posted in another thread, has been that the problem isn't the cable, but the torque spec being far too low. The spec is for 10Nm, which is barely more than finger tight. When I tightened it up, easy to do since the rear lug nut can be easily reached when the driver-side rear tire is removed, the sound completely disappeared.
IMG_9165.jpeg

I don't get how a ground bolt that is not too tight, but not loose, can cause a noise, but maybe it's true. At any rate, my car is a 2021, so by now, I assume Tesla is tightening that bolt properly, no? My car doesn't make any weird noises, but it only has like 300 miles so far. Also curious about the torque of that bolt, so I can check it after I order and receive the required 'pucks' to safely jack up the car. Hoping that's not an issue anymore, but we'll see.

An unrelated question, based on the picture above: What kind of suspension our Teslas have front and rear? Does anybody know? On the rear, it seems like it's multi-link. Hopefully no struts in the front, but even Porsches have that, so my guess is probably the M3 too. Thx.

Last edited:
I'm very happy to revive this thread - after a few weeks of waiting, the Paramus NJ SC has approved my visit, and without even seeing my car they have ordered BOTH the front AND rear ground straps, and will replace both covered under warranty!

THANK YOU @Dante and @camalaio and others for all the very helpful info! Without you guys we never would have known the exact root cause of the issue and/or the necessary part numbers. It's exciting to know that this forum has directly helped to make a difference in the real world :D:D

I literally told the techs that "numerous people on the TMC forum had this exact issue and it was fixed by replacing the ground strap"...based on that info alone they have amazingly not only acknowledged the problem, but have ordered the parts and have agreed to fix it sight unseen. It has taken a few weeks, but I'm very happy with the outcome.

I copied this from the service estimate. The appt is finally scheduled for 10/19! I'm not sure why it says "correction"...I think it's because my previous service estimate listed that they would only diagnose the motor whine...

Curious to hear your feedback on the whine after they changed both straps.

Thank you in advance,

Vin

How tight? 12 Nm? 15Nm? 50 Nm? Asking for a friend who owns such torque wrenches...
LOL, honestly, I don't know. I just tightened it alot more than finger tight, cause it was whining before. If I were to guess, I'd say 20 to 25Nm, but that's just a WAG.

I tightened it once, just barely above finger tight, around 10Nm, and the sound was better. It was only after a month, I decided to tighten it some more, and after that, the whine was gone.

There's another thread on the same topic, that has more details.

Reactions: EV Promoter
I'm new here but I appreciate this thread. I just wanted to toss my experience out for this. 2018 Model 3 LR, got it in July 2018. Started hearing this noise early December 2020 (last month) out of nowhere and it was really annoying, almost giving me a headache. For a week it was very consistent and very much like the Tesla Canuck video. I booked an appointment around the holidays. In mid Dec, it became a little bit more sporadic, but very much still an annoyance. In my appointment request I listed this thread and the Canuck video and suggested the ground strap change. It ended up being at the service center in WA state for a week (though over a holiday). They kept extending the ECD as they were still looking into the issue and needed further diagnosis. They never gave me too much detail on what they did, but after a week they said they had identified the problem, reproduced it, changed the ground strap and noise is gone. Reading newer posts on torque, maybe replacing and tightening helped, but I've been monitoring it for a couple weeks now and (knock on wood), haven't had any problems. Hoping it stays that way. It seemed like they were more aware of this problem.

My experience, posted in another thread, has been that the problem isn't the cable, but the torque spec being far too low. The spec is for 10Nm, which is barely more than finger tight. When I tightened it up, easy to do since the rear lug nut can be easily reached when the driver-side rear tire is removed, the sound completely disappeared.
View attachment 626418
I've read your post and also downloaded the pic to show it to the ranger :D
Thanks a lot, precious!

Hey guys, can you please state year of car and mileage, just to be able to add context to the issue? Hopefully not an issue anymore on 2021 cars, but only way to tell is to state year and mileage. Thank you.
I guess should be convenient ro read some post of a thread before posting :)
A couple of post ago i've just attested the problem on a brand new 2021 with less than 1000 km.

Please report back after your visit from the ranger.

So, after waiting 1&1/2 month for the appointement, the ranger came:

- The ranger acknowledged that there were the high pitch very annoying noise & even recorded it.

- I showed him the photo that has been posted here, he removed the wheel, but we realized the photo did'nt bear any resemblance whatsoever with my M3. I have to check, now i think was the photo of a Model S, i did a very bad figure. Anyway i've mentioned him the TSB.

- The ranger also tested a new cable to check why my M3 never charged at the AC (tri-phase) charger, to confirm the issue. Other Tesla was charging in the meantime at the same chargers, in front of him, but not mine.

- I have another hideous noise coming from one fwd suspension, something heavy that sound loose, but he kept insisting there were no noise whatsoever. So, i should go to a repair shop & make the check to the suspension privately.

- For the issues with alignements and deformations of some sheet metal, he looked at me and said: "they will always tell you they are on specs, don't even try, it's time wasted".

He said "when i'm back to the Service i'll check with the technician and i'll tell you.

Then:

- They never gave me an appointement for the service
- I wrote two times to get a short-term appointement, urgent because i cannot AC charge around. No replies.
- I wrote a letter to the main office of the importer to have the said appointement. Nobody replied.

I wouldn't get the appointement with the App because i've been already waiting 45 days for the first.
But with no replies whatsoever i did some days ago.

At this point only to try fix what they can and sell straight that 2 months old pile of crap that is giving me a long list of problems, with a non-existing Service structure.

Last edited:
So, after waiting 1&1/2 month for the appointement, the ranger came:

- The ranger acknowledged that there were the high pitch very annoying noise & even recorded it.

- I showed him the photo that has been posted here, he removed the wheel, but we realized the photo did'nt bear any resemblance whatsoever with my M3. I have to check, now i think was the photo of a Model S, i did a very bad figure. Anyway i've mentioned him the TSB.

- The ranger also tested a new cable to check why my M3 never charged at the AC (tri-phase) charger, to confirm the issue. Other Tesla was charging in the meantime at the same chargers, in front of him, but not mine.

- I have another hideous noise coming from one fwd suspension, something heavy that sound loose, but he kept insisting there were no noise whatsoever. So, i should go to a repair shop & make the check to the suspension privately.

- For the issues with alignements and deformations of some sheet metal, he looked at me and said: "they will always tell you they are on specs, don't even try, it's time wasted".

He said "when i'm back to the Service i'll check with the technician and i'll tell you.

Then:

- They never gave me an appointement for the service
- I wrote two times to get a short-term appointement, urgent because i cannot AC charge around. No replies.
- I wrote a letter to the main office of the importer to have the said appointement. Nobody replied.

I wouldn't get the appointement with the App because i've been already waiting 45 days for the first.
But with no replies whatsoever i did some days ago.

At this point only to try fix what they can and sell straight that 2 months old pile of crap that is giving me a long list of problems, with a non-existing Service structure.
Do you have some consumer agency to file a complaint? The inability to AC charge seems rather egregious.

Do you have some consumer agency to file a complaint? The inability to AC charge seems rather egregious.
I don't want to have nothing to do with Tesla anymore, just get rid of the car.

This car problems are not only the ones described and i've got fed up even of talking about.

But to have a Tesla in my hands and test car's operativity, problems, design philosophy, sale & service structures, was an excellent idea.
I have an awful lot of money in Tesla stock and now i can evaluate & predict much better its future. At the end it will cost me only some few 1000s...