Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched noise from drive unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if that noise is actually coming from the speakers. That ground strap would suggest so. I have exactly the same problem (high pitch at 2.8Khz) but with my TMS P90D 2016 pre lift. I have found the front ground strap under frunk but it's tightening doesnt do anything. As far as I can tell its grounded to the inverter side. It must be same generic problem with Teslas drive units I would say. TMS is probably better sound proofed than TM3 so its probably quiter but still I hear it and its annoying. Was considering soundproofing firewall/engine but when I looked at it its already well done by Tesla so no room to improve really there. Not sure what else can be done about it.

Attachments

• IMG_2394.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1,030
I was told by both service centers I've been to (Toledo, OH & Clarkston, MI) that they use a meter to measure the sound and the spec is so wide that most cars fall within it. The spec was intentionally set wide.
My video captures it well and even showed it to the service centers. They will do absolutely nothing for me.
VID_20200605_064939~2.mp4
That kind of pitch will damage your hearing. I thought mine was bad, that is seriously not okay.

Curious to hear your feedback on the whine after they changed both straps.

Thank you in advance,

Vin

Hello All,

2018 LR RWD, 100,000 Kms. VIN 29,xxx

Well, I booked my appointment and went in today.

My whine is very prominent between 65km/h and 70km/h.

The tech took the car out and reported that mine is higher than "normal".

I asked if they are going to replace the ground strap and was told my VIN does not qualify for the re designed strap. I think thats BS but the tech reported that the original strap was twisted.

He un twisted the strap and re installed. Told me "it now sounds like it should". When I pressed for a more definitive response, he just kept repeating the same answer.

Needless to say, I didn't have high hopes.

However, I am happy to report that the whine is 99% gone. I have to really concentrate to hear it now.

I don't know why that untwisting and re assembly helped, but I am grateful it did. That whine was so annoying.

Good luck to all those who still have this issue.

Vin

Hello All,

2018 LR RWD, 100,000 Kms. VIN 29,xxx

Well, I booked my appointment and went in today.

My whine is very prominent between 65km/h and 70km/h.

The tech took the car out and reported that mine is higher than "normal".

I asked if they are going to replace the ground strap and was told my VIN does not qualify for the re designed strap. I think thats BS but the tech reported that the original strap was twisted.

He un twisted the strap and re installed. Told me "it now sounds like it should". When I pressed for a more definitive response, he just kept repeating the same answer.

Needless to say, I didn't have high hopes.

However, I am happy to report that the whine is 99% gone. I have to really concentrate to hear it now.

I don't know why that untwisting and re assembly helped, but I am grateful it did. That whine was so annoying.

Good luck to all those who still have this issue.

Vin
Glad they fixed it, but it still fits my theory that the ground strap is not tight enough. In the factory, they tighten it to spec, 10Nm, but out in the field and at Service Centers, they're far more likely to re-install the strap, with less precision, and likely higher levels.

Reactions: Vintre
I am also going through this issue with my model 3 performance. Can anyone help?

Print the TSB above and take it with you to Tesla service. It does list the 2017 as affected, but it's the same fix for the later years. Most likely, the Rear Drive Unit ground strap may need replacement. You can try tightening it yourself which may help, but it's better to get it replaced.

• Love
Reactions: Thp3
Have any of you ever experienced or read about a high pitched noise coming from the rear drive unit while driving? I can best describe it as a high pitched electrical noise that oscillates up and down as you adjust the power pedal.

It's not incredibly loud in volume but it is very annoying to the ears. I'm currently battling with Tesla Service on this issue, they keep saying everything is normal but real life experience says otherwise.

I'd like to know if anyone else experienced this and what the resolution was so that maybe I can pass some info to the service dept.

This is definitely NOT the normal drive unit noise which I can also hear and is a pleasant sound!

I hope I was descriptive enough. Thank you!
Yes, car used to be quiet and after a long drive in rain the noise appeared. Tech said it was normal, which I find odd.

Hi Everyone, I'm Emilien a 33yo from Le mans in France (where there is the 24hours Racetrack) and I just joined your community.

Bought a used Tesla past month and I experience the same noise on my S 2019 Raven.
From 49mph (80km/h in France) to 128km/h (79mph). That's really painful and my wife and I are anoyed by this.
I read a part of this thread and will book an appointment with a Ranger to try to figure it out and fix it.
I'm really stressed that my MS never be quiet and it will be difficul to cope with that noise. It drives me crazy.

If you have any other advice I'm just here ;), and looking forward to discuss with you guys ;).

Drove thru LeMans with my family 15yrs ago. Look carefully at your tires for any odd wear patterns. How old are the tires? Does the sound change depending upon the road surface? Have you driven any other Model S to compare it to?

Drove thru LeMans with my family 15yrs ago. Look carefully at your tires for any odd wear patterns. How old are the tires? Does the sound change depending upon the road surface? Have you driven any other Model S to compare it to?
Really cool, hope you enjoyed it :). Tires are brand new Dunlop winter. The sound does not change depending on the road or weather. It sounds like an electrical sound coming from the front.
I haven’t drive any other Tesla before.

Thank you for your answer, much appreciated !

Ah, electrical sound. Lower the back seats. Sometimes the electrical sound seems like it's coming from the front, due to all the reflective glass, when it's really coming from the back. If you lower the back seats, you can id whether it's front or back, better. You may want to check in the S forum, since this is the 3 forum, and ask whether that model is known for an inverter whine, like the 3 seems to be in early models with solid ground straps.

Reactions: Thp3
Hi Everyone, I'm Emilien a 33yo from Le mans in France (where there is the 24hours Racetrack) and I just joined your community.

Bought a used Tesla past month and I experience the same noise on my S 2019 Raven.
From 49mph (80km/h in France) to 128km/h (79mph). That's really painful and my wife and I are anoyed by this.
I read a part of this thread and will book an appointment with a Ranger to try to figure it out and fix it.
I'm really stressed that my MS never be quiet and it will be difficul to cope with that noise. It drives me crazy.

If you have any other advice I'm just here ;), and looking forward to discuss with you guys ;).

Do you hear it in that entire range from 80-130 km? That does not seem normal to me.

I remember a couple very annoying resonant areas around 67km and 130km, but it was otherwise quiet (Model 3 dual motor). The only problem was cruising at those particular speeds.

Do you hear it in that entire range from 80-130 km? That does not seem normal to me.

I remember a couple very annoying resonant areas around 67km and 130km, but it was otherwise quiet (Model 3 dual motor). The only problem was cruising at those particular speeds.
@KenC thank you for your message, I will try this method to have a better "view" of where is the noise from. I will also put a message in the Model S forum. The front motor of the Model S Raven is the back Motor of the Model 3, that's also why I think It's related.

@polyphonic54 There is no noise when i accelerate or decelerate but when I'm driving at a constant speed between 80:130 there is this really aggressive electrical noise. I hear it at the driver seat and my wife at the back of the car (with our baby) hear it clearly too. She says it comes from the front too but will try to lower back seat and drive like that to test.

Emilien,

@KenC thank you for your message, I will try this method to have a better "view" of where is the noise from. I will also put a message in the Model S forum. The front motor of the Model S Raven is the back Motor of the Model 3, that's also why I think It's related.

@polyphonic54 There is no noise when i accelerate or decelerate but when I'm driving at a constant speed between 80:130 there is this really aggressive electrical noise. I hear it at the driver seat and my wife at the back of the car (with our baby) hear it clearly too. She says it comes from the front too but will try to lower back seat and drive like that to test.

Emilien,
Definitely sounds abnormal. Have you posted in the Model S forum?

Emilien,
Ha, good point. I've forgotten that the S front motor is the 3 rear motor. 2019 is about when they changed the grounding strap from solid to braided or vice-versa, to get rid of the inverter whine. If you're DIY motivated, you can also drop the front undertray and take a look at the strap type, and/or tighten it. The factory spec on the 3 is for 10Nm torque, which is barely above finger tight. Several of us, have just tightened the strap to 25Nm and above, and the whine goes away.

Wanted to share my experience attempting to remedy this issue with the San Francisco SC on Van Ness. Background: I've been bringing this issue to Tesla's attention for several years now. Visits to SF and Berkeley SCs have returned comments such as "We hear it, but it's within tolerances." to "This sounds abnormal, we'll look into it, actually, it's within spec." to "This is an issue with earlier-production Model 3s, Tesla is currently working on a fix but it isn't finalized yet, ask us next time."

Armed with the new info from these threads I brought the car in along with TSB and procedural comments from other users about how the issue was resolved. They asked that I take one of their service managers on a test drive to demonstrate the sound -- he agreed it was abnormal. Left the car with them. Then, for the next 12 days I kept receiving some version of "we are still in the diagnostic process with your vehicle." When I finally got the notice to pick the car up it was, surprise surprise, found to be "within tolerances." Incredibly frustrating. To add insult to injury, they had billed me $210 for diagnostic time on an issue their own service manager had decided was abnormal. I expressed my extreme displeasure at this, and thankfully they removed this additional charge. However, I am back to square one two weeks later.

Next step for me will be to jack up the car and tighten down the accessible grounding points myself with the existing straps. Hoping this goes some way to remedying the issue. Will report back here!

Reactions: Mil72-Frenchy
Ha, good point. I've forgotten that the S front motor is the 3 rear motor. 2019 is about when they changed the grounding strap from solid to braided or vice-versa, to get rid of the inverter whine. If you're DIY motivated, you can also drop the front undertray and take a look at the strap type, and/or tighten it. The factory spec on the 3 is for 10Nm torque, which is barely above finger tight. Several of us, have just tightened the strap to 25Nm and above, and the whine goes away.
Hi @KenC, I just removed the tires and are not able to find the grounding strap. That's the front driver side wheel.
If anyone could help me find this, I'm into DYI to try to fix it.

Sorry to pollute the Model 3 feed, that's a Model S Raven so we share the same engine :).

Thank you a lot,

Attachments

• TESLA.jpeg
    TESLA.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 184