Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched noise from drive unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any of you ever experienced or read about a high pitched noise coming from the rear drive unit while driving? I can best describe it as a high pitched electrical noise that oscillates up and down as you adjust the power pedal.

It's not incredibly loud in volume but it is very annoying to the ears. I'm currently battling with Tesla Service on this issue, they keep saying everything is normal but real life experience says otherwise.

I'd like to know if anyone else experienced this and what the resolution was so that maybe I can pass some info to the service dept.

This is definitely NOT the normal drive unit noise which I can also hear and is a pleasant sound!

I hope I was descriptive enough. Thank you!

I hear something that fits your description. It's quiet enough that I don't consciously notice it all the time. I remember thinking to myself if this was much louder, or if my ears were more sensitive it could be annoying.
They keep stating my ears are too sensitive. But literally anyone who gets in my car (except for service techs and engineers apparently) can hear it loud and clear.

Yes - in fact I've gone a bit OCD on it and found that it appears to be loudest between 38-43 MPH. :) Not kidding. And in that speed range, at least in my car, is loud enough to be annoying and even a little embarrassing when others are in the car.

I haven't taken the step of having Tesla evaluate it, tho.
Yes this, exactly! I find it hits a peak loudness at various speeds, the earliest being around 55-57km/h.

It is indeed very annoying and embarrassing. I can't be expected to turn up my music to drown it out everyday.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Have any of you ever experienced or read about a high pitched noise coming from the rear drive unit while driving? I can best describe it as a high pitched electrical noise that oscillates up and down as you adjust the power pedal.

It's not incredibly loud in volume but it is very annoying to the ears. I'm currently battling with Tesla Service on this issue, they keep saying everything is normal but real life experience says otherwise.

I'd like to know if anyone else experienced this and what the resolution was so that maybe I can pass some info to the service dept.

This is definitely NOT the normal drive unit noise which I can also hear and is a pleasant sound!

Yep mine does the same thing. Worst around 70 KPH. Took it to Lawerence SC and of course it wasn’t neary as bad as it usually was when I took the tech out. They said to monitor and come back if it keeps happening. It’s a 2 hour drive though, so not easy to go back and have the same thing happen.

I’d be curious to know if they do anything for you and/or what the issue is. If I go back I’ll post here and let you know what happens.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Yep mine does the same thing. Worst around 70 KPH. Took it to Lawerence SC and of course it wasn’t neary as bad as it usually was when I took the tech out. They said to monitor and come back if it keeps happening. It’s a 2 hour drive though, so not easy to go back and have the same thing happen.

I’d be curious to know if they do anything for you and/or what the issue is. If I go back I’ll post here and let you know what happens.
They asked me about an hour ago to go back in tomorrow and do another road test with the engineers that are on-site this week. The tech that I did a road test with yesterday confirmed he could hear it. I thought that it was finally going to get resolved.

But their current answer on the matter is "It's behaving within normal parameters." I'm just bracing myself to hear that answer again tomorrow once I do the second road test.

If they all do it, and we're just lucky enough to notice it more than others I don't think there's anything they can do anyway. Unless yours is worse than mine, I've trained myself to tune it out. Sort of like how people who live beside a train track or under a flight path don't notice after a while.

If they all do it, and we're just lucky enough to notice it more than others I don't think there's anything they can do anyway. Unless yours is worse than mine, I've trained myself to tune it out. Sort of like how people who live beside a train track or under a flight path don't notice after a while.
In the the other Model 3s I've been in, I can't say I've heard it before.

I've been trying to train myself to tune it out but unfortunately it isn't working. I grew up with my bedroom facing a busy bus stop so I know all about tuning that noise out, haha.

The service techs I've been working with are great guys. Unfortunately they are at the mercy of what Tesla engineering says is acceptable or not.

I’m a military pilot, so I don’t have the greatest hearing anymore anyways. I’m pretty used to noise, I don’t think it’s just me. I’ve been in my buddy’s M3 and his doesn’t make the noise at all. That being said, you could also be right and it’s just a certain frequency that we’re sensitive too. Honestly it doesn’t bother me that much, I was worried something was wrong with the car.

In the the other Model 3s I've been in, I can't say I've heard it before.

I've been trying to train myself to tune it out but unfortunately it isn't working. I grew up with my bedroom facing a busy bus stop so I know all about tuning that noise out, haha.

The service techs I've been working with are great guys. Unfortunately they are at the mercy of what Tesla engineering says is acceptable or not.

Absolutely, that’s why it sucked going all the way there and then the car doesn’t do it, but such is life! Nice to know I’m not alone though haha.

Yah I know the noise you mean but it's only at certain (lower) speeds for me and 99% of the time I don't notice. I've always assumed it's just a noise that an electric motor makes sometimes.

Interested to hear if you get anywhere but I can't say it bothers me enough to go through hassle over. It's very possible it sounds worse for you though, or maybe you're just tuning into it? If you're saying other people notice (without you mentioning it?) then maybe not though.

• Helpful
Yah I know the noise you mean but it's only at certain (lower) speeds for me and 99% of the time I don't notice. I've always assumed it's just a noise that an electric motor makes sometimes.

Interested to hear if you get anywhere but I can't say it bothers me enough to go through hassle over. It's very possible it sounds worse for you though, or maybe you're just tuning into it? If you're saying other people notice (without you mentioning it?) then maybe not though.
It starts at a certain speed and then persists at all higher speeds. My car didn't used to emit this noise, it just started one day several months ago.

I'll definitely report back either way.

Reactions: 0ptions

My Leaf makes this noise at higher speeds. It’s the inverter.

I doubt anything is broken but perhaps you will find it irritating.

• Helpful
My Leaf did that 100% of the time and it was normal. I think maybe it is more buried in the M3, but potentially not an unusual sound. Also, very high pitched sounds are not heard by older adults even with normal hearing, so if you're in your early 20's you might be hearing something only young people can hear.

My Leaf makes this noise at higher speeds. It’s the inverter.

I doubt anything is broken but perhaps you will find it irritating.

My Leaf did that 100% of the time and it was normal. I think maybe it is more buried in the M3, but potentially not an unusual sound. Also, very high pitched sounds are not heard by older adults even with normal hearing, so if you're in your early 20's you might be hearing something only young people can hear.

Interesting. I had also inquired if it might be the inverter but didn't get an answer.

I'm in my mid 30s, lol.

Whats the verdict? I'm having similar issue. Thanks

Apologies to everyone, I forgot to update the thread.

The drive unit engineers again stated that this was completely normal. Tesla Service added some sound dampening material in my trunk and that made a minor difference to the noise but it is definitely slightly more muted than previously. The company's official stance on this matter is that noise is a normal part of the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Toke_Holledig
Apologies to everyone, I forgot to update the thread.

The drive unit engineers again stated that this was completely normal. Tesla Service added some sound dampening material in my trunk and that made a minor difference to the noise but it is definitely slightly more muted than previously. The company's official stance on this matter is that noise is a normal part of the car.

Some people have a natural sensitivity to high-pitched sounds. I am one of them. You may want to test your hearing range here: Extended High Frequency Online Hearing Test | 8-22 kHz and see where you fall on the scale. Interestingly, it was discovered in the '60s that people with athesma have an unusual sensitivity to high-frequency sound waves (although this doesn't explain my condition).

As you age, you may notice that your sensitivity drops (I have 10 years on you). I've gotten used to the car, and have come to appreciate its unique sound profile. I almost always have something playing unless I'm trying to focus on my surroundings.

Some people have a natural sensitivity to high-pitched sounds. I am one of them. You may want to test your hearing range here: Extended High Frequency Online Hearing Test | 8-22 kHz and see where you fall on the scale. Interestingly, it was discovered in the '60s that people with athesma have an unusual sensitivity to high-frequency sound waves (although this doesn't explain my condition).

As you age, you may notice that your sensitivity drops (I have 10 years on you). I've gotten used to the car, and have come to appreciate its unique sound profile. I almost always have something playing unless I'm trying to focus on my surroundings.
I took that test and could start hearing from around 20-21k.