Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Pitched sound for 2022 Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, first time for the post,

I was wondering any Plaid or Refresh Model S owner experiencing high-pitched whine sounds at cruising speed? It's noticeable and a bit uncomfortable cursing around 35-45 or highway speed like 60-75 mph. Coming from a MYP owner, I can understand how a motor whining sounds like, which I actually really enjoy with. The current high-frequency sound feels like driving with a MY without the 2nd row seat cushion insulation in place. I really would like to get more feedback from the Refresh owner before making a SC visit.
Thanks!

link to the video:

• Informative
Reactions: polyphonic54
Alright, update.

Got back when the cover came. But the cover was apparently already installed, after further testing they decided to order a new motor which I got replaced today. Sound is practically gone. Not the same frequency, and very much lower.

“From last SV : Confirmed customer complaint. Unfortunately the NVH cover was not the cause of the issue and was installed on the car as intended. After extensive diagnose and working with our support region , its confirmed that the front drive unit needs replacing. Parts will be ordered and the vehicle will be re scheduled once parts is on site.”

Removed and replaced front drive unit as diagnosed previous service visit. Front drive unit replaced, firmware update and coolant purged. Confirmed after multiple test drives that the noise from the drive units are now within specification and no further work is required. Vehicle operates as designed.”

My SC is the best!

You're lucky. My service center uses this line to get out of fixing most problems: "...within specification and no further work is required. Vehicle operates as designed.'

Upvote 0
I have the same high pitched noise (most annoying at 77mph) in my brand new MSP and thought it was normal, until I had a Plaid loaner for other repairs and fixes they had to do on my car. Will keep everyone updated on how the Palo Alto SC will handle the situation.

Update: SC confirmed its not normal ”Confirmed customer complaint. Found abnormal high pitch whining noise from front drive unit while driving high speeds. Confirmed no inverter cover is installed resulting in the high pitch noise. Ordered inverter cover and will be replaced next service visit. This is quite a lengthy repair and would advise customer to leave vehicle for two days.”

My noise is loudest above the speed limit and the SC is already warning me via text that they will not be able to drive faster than 65mph. How did you verify the noise with them?

Last edited:
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Upvote 0
But the cover was apparently already installed, after further testing they decided to order a new motor which I got replaced today.

My SC is the best!

Those 2 statements don't go together. If they were "the best," they would have known the cover was on the car before confidently saying the cover was not on the car. If it was impossible somehow for them to be able to know the cover was on the car until they pulled it apart, they never should have made that diagnosis as if it were fact. But you'll never convince me they couldn't have seen the cover there, even if they had use a borescope to look for it. Your SC is clearly a bunch of amateurs.

Upvote 0
My 2023 has this whirring. It sounds like the type of noise you get with straight cut gears, more so than an electrical whine, especially when light on the throttle and you hear a warbling to the whirring noise. Hopefully they remembered to add oil to the gearbox during assembly. They sure forgot to screw most of the car panels in a correct alignment, so you never know!

I realize I’m necroposting here but wanted to say thanks for these videos. I have the same motor whine but haven’t gotten the right recipe to capture the audio.

I wasn’t quite so concerned because it sounds almost identical to the motor whine my Segway makes at full throttle. But it’s a good confirmation that they all seem to do it.

Upvote 0
Two weeks ago I test drove a new Model S LR at the service center and the whine was VERY noticeable. This was the first time driving an S for me so I didn't know if it was normal or not.

A few days later, I test drove a _different_ model S LR and it had absolutely zero whine.

These were overnight test drives so I had about 90 minutes of driving at different speeds and it did vary depending on how much I was on the accelerator.

It is one of the things I'm just praying I don't get when mine gets delivered soon.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Upvote 0
I've never experienced an EV that didn't have sustained whine. Some are more subtle than others, or take longer for the ear to pick out above other ambient noises. Once I hear it, I hear it every time and it bothers my ears to no end. If you might be similar, EVs aren't for you.

Also considering hearing loss occurs mostly at higher frequencies many owners won't hear it at all.

Upvote 0
I've never experienced an EV that didn't have sustained whine. Some are more subtle than others, or take longer for the ear to pick out above other ambient noises. Once I hear it, I hear it every time and it bothers my ears to no end. If you might be similar, EVs aren't for you.

Also considering hearing loss occurs mostly at higher frequencies many owners won't hear it at all.

Not what is being discussed here. This is gear whine. If you put the car in neutral, you will still hear this whine. You are talking about electrical noise, and that noise can be very quiet compared to this gear noise.

Reactions: polyphonic54
Upvote 0
Not what is being discussed here. This is gear whine. If you put the car in neutral, you will still hear this whine. You are talking about electrical noise, and that noise can be very quiet compared to this gear noise.
Yeah thanks for pointing that out. I can still recall this lower frequency whine cruising in my e-tron on the highway. Electrical whine would be more apparent under acceleration. Both as well in my Lightning. :/

Upvote 0