Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Pitched sound for 2022 Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, first time for the post,

I was wondering any Plaid or Refresh Model S owner experiencing high-pitched whine sounds at cruising speed? It's noticeable and a bit uncomfortable cursing around 35-45 or highway speed like 60-75 mph. Coming from a MYP owner, I can understand how a motor whining sounds like, which I actually really enjoy with. The current high-frequency sound feels like driving with a MY without the 2nd row seat cushion insulation in place. I really would like to get more feedback from the Refresh owner before making a SC visit.
Thanks!

link to the video:

• Informative
Reactions: polyphonic54
I took delivery of a LR last Wednesday and have noticed a staggered whining with mild acceleration at 30-40 MPH. Neither the 2016 Model S I traded in nor our Model Y exhibit this. It’s not especially loud but noticeable and annoying. I’m somewhat relieved that it seems that it’s a common issue and not a major mechanical flaw, but I‘m tempted to set up an appointment to see what the SC says about it.

Reactions: jacie6056
Upvote 0
does anyone have this issue or it's just me 😅. booked the SC visit for next week, will report it back!

I was wondering any Plaid or Refresh Model S owner experiencing high-pitched whine sounds at cruising speed? It's noticeable and a bit uncomfortable cursing around 35-45 or highway speed like 60-75 mph. Coming from a MYP owner, I can understand how a motor whining sounds like, which I actually really enjoy with. The current high-frequency sound feels like driving with a MY without the 2nd row seat cushion insulation in place. I really would like to get more feedback from the Refresh owner before making a SC visit.
Thanks!

link to the video:
I have the 2022 model S LR and I experience such whining his pitched sound when parked most of the time, not when driving. When it happens it goes in for hours

Upvote 0
I've noticed the sound in all Teslas with a front motor including our 2022 S LR and 2022 Y LR. I've driven other variants over the years as well with the same sound. It doesn't bother me and I barely notice it with the audio off. That said, I'm not young anymore, so I'm sure my high-end hearing is down a few db. So it could be more of a personal sensitivity to the sound. I could see it perhaps bothering some people and others not even hearing it.

Upvote 0
My 2023 has this whirring. It sounds like the type of noise you get with straight cut gears, more so than an electrical whine, especially when light on the throttle and you hear a warbling to the whirring noise. Hopefully they remembered to add oil to the gearbox during assembly. They sure forgot to screw most of the car panels in a correct alignment, so you never know!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update: SC confirmed its not normal ”Confirmed customer complaint. Found abnormal high pitch whining noise from front drive unit while driving high speeds. Confirmed no inverter cover is installed resulting in the high pitch noise. Ordered inverter cover and will be replaced next service visit. This is quite a lengthy repair and would advise customer to leave vehicle for two days.”

Upvote 0
Update: SC confirmed its not normal ”Confirmed customer complaint. Found abnormal high pitch whining noise from front drive unit while driving high speeds. Confirmed no inverter cover is installed resulting in the high pitch noise. Ordered inverter cover and will be replaced next service visit. This is quite a lengthy repair and would advise customer to leave vehicle for two days.”

What year/spec is yours?

Do you have a video of the sound your makes?

If this is normal, Tesla should fire the engineers that made this normal, after a public caning, of course.

Upvote 0
Did they do the repair for you yet? They're right that replacing an inverter cover is a lengthy repair. From experience (Tesla service blew up my 2021 S inverter while it was in the shop, and they let me know what replacing it entailed), they need to remove the rear seats to get to some bolts, drop the high voltage battery, subframe/suspension/steering rack etc. It's not a job for the faint of heart. Since it touches the steering, make sure that it tracks straight when you get it back.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Upvote 0

I'm also very interested to hear your update on whether they did the repair and how it sounds now?

Also, could you post up the work order details? I took my car in yesterday, and I can say it was "normal" that the service guy called it "normal." 🤣 Of course he didn't like the idea of me asking to ride in another Model S to hear this normal noise...

The key with my noise is that it does it in neutral, so it's not the sound of electrons moving around, so I don't think an inverter insulation would help mine, but I am still interested what they did to yours.

Oh, and I got to add to my collection of stupid things SC employees have told me: "The CV joints have a break in period."

LOL, anyone that knows anything about cars knows that CV joints do not have break in periods!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did they do the repair for you yet? They're right that replacing an inverter cover is a lengthy repair. From experience (Tesla service blew up my 2021 S inverter while it was in the shop, and they let me know what replacing it entailed), they need to remove the rear seats to get to some bolts, drop the high voltage battery, subframe/suspension/steering rack etc. It's not a job for the faint of heart. Since it touches the steering, make sure that it tracks straight when you get it back.
Yep, i see that alignment is in the order as well.

Reactions: WilliamG
Upvote 0

Thanks!

link to the video:
I have the same issue with my MS long range. It started when the weather got cold. Was hoping it will go away when it's warmer.

Upvote 0

Thanks!

link to the video:
Had same issues in my MYP, now in my new S never have that awful high pitch sound anymore 👍

Upvote 0
Alright, update.

Got back when the cover came. But the cover was apparently already installed, after further testing they decided to order a new motor which I got replaced today. Sound is practically gone. Not the same frequency, and very much lower.

“From last SV : Confirmed customer complaint. Unfortunately the NVH cover was not the cause of the issue and was installed on the car as intended. After extensive diagnose and working with our support region , its confirmed that the front drive unit needs replacing. Parts will be ordered and the vehicle will be re scheduled once parts is on site.”

Removed and replaced front drive unit as diagnosed previous service visit. Front drive unit replaced, firmware update and coolant purged. Confirmed after multiple test drives that the noise from the drive units are now within specification and no further work is required. Vehicle operates as designed.”

My SC is the best!

Upvote 0