Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Pitched sounds from drive unit 35-50 MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my car. I bought it a few months ago used. And am very happy with it so far.

However I have had a high pitched noise coming from drive units while driving 30ish to 50ish mph. It cycles up and gets a bit louder when regen. I know the car makes some noise. But I do not hear it in other models i've test driven, rented, or had as a loaner. My 2018 75D (26k miles) seems to have an issue that others do not have. I did take it in for service and the tech heard nothing, but he also didnt hear the clunking sounds from my half shafts. I was charged a diag fee for my complaint.

Anyone know if this is a common issue? I've seen other posts that are similar in nature, mostly from model 3's.

Mine was doing exactly that last fall/winter and they replaced the drive unit.
How did you get them to discover it?
I have heard a high pitch noise in my 2017 Model S before but its hard to pinpoint it. It comes and goes. Sometimes for weeks I don't hear it. But you're right, it is usually within 25-40 mph.
man! I wish mine would go away. Sucks driving at city street speeds

I love my car. I bought it a few months ago used. And am very happy with it so far.

However I have had a high pitched noise coming from drive units while driving 30ish to 50ish mph. It cycles up and gets a bit louder when regen. I know the car makes some noise. But I do not hear it in other models i've test driven, rented, or had as a loaner. My 2018 75D (26k miles) seems to have an issue that others do not have. I did take it in for service and the tech heard nothing, but he also didnt hear the clunking sounds from my half shafts. I was charged a diag fee for my complaint.

Anyone know if this is a common issue? I've seen other posts that are similar in nature, mostly from model 3's.
Do you still have that noise or found a resolution to it? I believe I have the same concern/situation. It appears you are in Utah. I am in North Caroline so no quick way to test drive each others' vehicles. Can you DM me? I don't have that level of forum access yet.

I had the same kind of high pitched sound on my TMS P85D, but it was solved when i read a post about turning of Range mode on D models. As I forgot that I had it turned on.

Maybe its worth a try if you are like me and forgot its turned on.

Sorry to resurrect, but I recently had the rear drive unit replaced and the front right wheel bearing on our 2018 75D. It got a clean bill of health from Tesla. However, on driving home we both noticed a low rumbling sound from the front of the car that speeds up on acceleration. Noise does not change if you steer left and right and there is a very faint vibration through the steering wheel and pedals. Could this be the front drive unit?