Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched sqeaking when driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my model 3 yesterday. Absolutely love the car. Did notice that my car seems to have a high pitched squeak while driving. Doesn’t matter if i’m accelerating or decelerating, just a constant squeak. Anyone else ever have a similar issue?

Also noticed that when I move the steering wheel I hear a pretty loud electric motor noise. Doesn’t matter if the car is in comfort, standard, or sport. Is this normal?

Also had a couple times when the back up camera didn’t turn on right away. It showed the lines but everything else was black. Then the screen crash and rebooted itself.

Just picked up my model 3 yesterday. Absolutely love the car. Did notice that my car seems to have a high pitched squeak while driving. Doesn’t matter if i’m accelerating or decelerating, just a constant squeak. Anyone else ever have a similar issue?

Also noticed that when I move the steering wheel I hear a pretty loud electric motor noise. Doesn’t matter if the car is in comfort, standard, or sport. Is this normal?

Also had a couple times when the back up camera didn’t turn on right away. It showed the lines but everything else was black. Then the screen crash and rebooted itself.
We picked up our model 3 about three weeks ago. It has a high pitch squeak, but only when backing up. Perhaps related to your issue, but might also be something else. I'm curious if others have this issue. We plan to have it checked.

The only other issue we've noticed is how long it takes on an iPhone for the car to wake-up so you can remove the charging cable and drive it. This issue is pretty frustrating. Using the key card hasn't solved the problem because the interior touchscreen still won't allow you to unlock the charging cable for several minutes. Other than these two issues, everything else has been fantastic.

We picked up our model 3 about three weeks ago. It has a high pitch squeak, but only when backing up. Perhaps related to your issue, but might also be something else. I'm curious if others have this issue. We plan to have it checked.

The only other issue we've noticed is how long it takes on an iPhone for the car to wake-up so you can remove the charging cable and drive it. This issue is pretty frustrating. Using the key card hasn't solved the problem because the interior touchscreen still won't allow you to unlock the charging cable for several minutes. Other than these two issues, everything else has been fantastic.

Mine is anytime the wheels are moving. Forward, backward. What I noticed is when I make right turns the noise stops until I straighten out again. Left turns the noise does not go away. I think it’s coming from the right rear wheel. Perhaps a bad wheel bearing?

Mine is anytime the wheels are moving. Forward, backward. What I noticed is when I make right turns the noise stops until I straighten out again. Left turns the noise does not go away. I think it’s coming from the right rear wheel. Perhaps a bad wheel bearing?
I had a WRX that would get pebbles stuck in the brake calipers and would squeak/squeal. Wonder if there's a foreign object in there.

Reactions: alexGS
I had this problem too. I picked up the car two weeks ago. After a few days and ~100 miles, I backed out of a parking space and heard a metallic screeching sound. I pulled forward into the spot and heard the sound in that direction too. It sounded like something was being dragged along the ground. I looked under/ around the car and saw nothing obvious. I was only about 2 miles from home. I called roadside assistance who suggested they could either tow it or, if the car seemed drive-able, I could drive home and they would send someone out to look at it. I drove home and the noise stopped about halfway home.

Since the noise went away, I didn't have them come to look, but the next day I called Tesla again and they suggested that perhaps a rock got stuck in the brakes and subsequently got dislodged or worn down. I haven't heard the noise since (up to about 500 miles now). In 25 years of driving, I've never heard that sound from another car.

So it wasn’t a rock. They actually had to replace my brake caliper. Here is the explanation:

“Upon inspection found retain clip for brake pad making contact on rotor. Inspected caliper retaining bracket and found area where pad sits scored causing clip to move into rotor. Replaced brake caliper assembly.”

Really glad I brought the car in today. Very happy with the level of service. Only downer was that they weren’t able to give me a Tesla loaner; I got a Toyota instead.

Problem is 100% resolved and car is perfect now. Now I can finally start really enjoying it!

Thanks for posting this. I'm having the same issue on my front right wheel/brakes. It's very loud and borderline embarrassing. I called the dealership and they said they hadn't heard about this on the Model 3. I'll be sure to inform them about this thread.

So it wasn’t a rock. They actually had to replace my brake caliper. Here is the explanation:

“Upon inspection found retain clip for brake pad making contact on rotor. Inspected caliper retaining bracket and found area where pad sits scored causing clip to move into rotor. Replaced brake caliper assembly.”

Really glad I brought the car in today. Very happy with the level of service. Only downer was that they weren’t able to give me a Tesla loaner; I got a Toyota instead.

Problem is 100% resolved and car is perfect now. Now I can finally start really enjoying it![/QUOTE

Thanks Rodrego for your post update.
I am having the exact same issue. I have scheduled a service however the appointment is 2 weeks away! Were you able to drive around your car until Caliper was replaced without damaging anything ( rotors, pads).