Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched whine on acceleration 2021 M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys i have discovered another issue with my 2021 M3P and im starting to seriously consider rejecting the car if the service centre do not resolve the faults. On acceleration i can hear a high pitched whine inside the car. Is this normal?

To avoid future concern, the car will also whine when you are heading towards a supercharger and occasionally when slowing under regen. The noise can change between releases.

Taken on first day of Model 3 UK collections. You can hear the motor whistle as it accelerates away.

It's when the car is warming the battery, it uses a deliberately inefficient mode on the inverter to generate excess heat that's then passed to the battery. You hear it under heavier acceleration or regen braking in normal use for the first 20 mins or so. If you are heading to a SuperCharger then it's aiming to heat the battery even higher, so the noise is more observable.

I quite like it.

I never heard a whine in my 2019 Model 3 SR+, but I definitely have one when I accelerate hard in my 2020 Model Y AWD. I've read that it's the inverter and the sound (high pitched whistle) originates from the rear of the vehicle. It's not very loud or obnoxious, but definitely noticeable. I can also hear it, to a much lesser extent, when coming to a stop using full regen.

I hear a fairly deep background woooosh when I floor my SR+ with the music off.

To me it sounds great and needs amplifying.

I have long thought of developing a system of amplifying and possibly modifying the switching frequencies generated by the inverter as it drives the motor because it really is generally similar to the noise an ICE makes as it rises in pitch and harshness as power is applied.

Output it to the external noise maker and everyone is happy! :p

Is this whine like a dental drill? If so I would say its definitely not normal. Our 2021 AWD developed this after 2 weeks, most apparent at 20mph (maybe bc road noise) and even when holding speed. Very high pitched and annoying. Noise was never there before that, and appeared suddenly one day. This is not the normal pleasant motor acceleration noise.

Is this whine like a dental drill? If so I would say its definitely not normal. Our 2021 AWD developed this after 2 weeks, most apparent at 20mph (maybe bc road noise) and even when holding speed. Very high pitched and annoying. Noise was never there before that, and appeared suddenly one day. This is not the normal pleasant motor acceleration noise.

Have you had the noise investigated? I also have a 2021 AWD. Not driven the car for a while, bit from memory it made a few odd sounds that I attributed to the heat pump. Seems to emit all sorts of grumbles.

Currently in service at PR London. They said they'd look into it. We did some digging and other TMC members say it could be the RDU ground strap.. we have noticed the car making sounds and growling (thought this was cute actually) but this is like a constant dental drill whine which would drive anyone mad!

Currently in service at PR London. They said they'd look into it. We did some digging and other TMC members say it could be the RDU ground strap.. we have noticed the car making sounds and growling (thought this was cute actually) but this is like a constant dental drill whine which would drive anyone mad!

I’ll have to tune my ears next time I go out. Not noticed a constant whine from memory. Please keep us updated :)

When I first got my Y it had that, but it's lessened and I think it's something wearing in. Loud high pitched whine at 70 just like a badly tuned CRT or a dental drill.. not just motor whine, which I'm used to after 2 years of driving a 3.. this is something completely different.

It's still there but its volume is starting to slip below the road noise level so I suspect it'll go completely with some spirited driving. Cancelled the service visit for now.. but if it comes back I'll get it looked at.

I love the whine on acceleration in my M3P. It would be disorientating without some sort of indicator of rapid acceleration, I think. I've already had passengers complain about rollercoaster-like sensations because they can't anticipate it (that's probably more my fault though :)).

• Funny
Reactions: Buzzliteyear
Hi,
I had a high pitch sound while driving 40 - 70 km/h. I suspected that it had to do with the ground strap. For confirming my hypothesis, I took off the ground strap from the chassis and went for a short drive. No high pitch sound whatsoever when the ground strap was removed. I then changed the layout of hos the ground strap connects with the chassis, so it is connected straight on the chassis instead of connected via the screw going into the chassis. Thereby the frequency did not travel the same way as before.
The results: no more high pitch sound at any speed.
FYI: 2021 Model 3 LR.