Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched whine on acceleration 2021 M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will have a purpose (maybe safety critical) so removing it is probably not a good idea. Relocating it? Better.

My Dec 21 LR has always made this noise on hard acceleration. I have sensitive ears and can hear it quite clearly. To me it sounds like an elecrtocinc noise, such as is made by failing switched mode power supllies or CRT monitors, so I have assumed it's the inverter squealing under load. Would be nice to get rid of it but it's no bother and as others have said a nice accompaniment to being pinned to your seat.

Mine faded over time so I figured something wasn't greased correctly or something. It's still there in the background but not at the ear splitting levels it was originally. If it gets too much for my wife (who has sensitive ears) even having music on very low seems to mask it.

I have the same issue in my M3. It seems to have got worse over time, don't remember it at all in the first 12 months of ownership. It's most noticeable between 20-60mph when the throttle is balanced between accln/regen. Completely distinct from the acceleration whoosh people that people would be familiar with. I'd estimate the frequency is 3-4kHz.

Reactions: rolling green