Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Pitched Whine Sound Coming From Rear Cabin 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A success story for me if anyone needs guidance...

My new Model Y was delivered and on day 1 had a pretty annoying high pitched whine, consistent from the 50-70mph range. It was hard to determine where exactly it was coming from as the sound would kind of envelope the whole cabin. It wasn't super loud, but sounded like I was getting my ears checked, and it was enough to hear over music, and was overall a real annoyance as I am a highway commuter. I thought I could just live with it, but after riding in a friends Y that was silent, I decided to bring it into service at 1,500 miles and hoped for the best.

Before dropping off the car, I took two rides with Tesla technicians to diagnose, and they determined the sound was not normal, and I received a loaner while they tried to repair. Worst case they said would need a full replacement of the drive unit.

The following day, I received notice that the repair was complete. The fix was "Seal - Perimeter - HV Battery (remove and replace)".

It's only been a few days but I am happy to report that the sound is no longer noticeable, job well done.
Hi, Could you upload the invoice for this please? I'd like to show it to the tech working on mine

In the manual there is a "Troubleshooting" section where you can play the normal sounds of the EV and one is the motor, which is a high pitch sound. I thought something was wrong with mine until I listened and it is normal. Even with loaner Model y a 2022 had the same sound however the Model S which I had as a loaner had NO sound but it was like 4 or 5 years old..

Reactions: WyoDude
In the manual there is a "Troubleshooting" section where you can play the normal sounds of the EV and one is the motor, which is a high pitch sound. I thought something was wrong with mine until I listened and it is normal. Even with loaner Model y a 2022 had the same sound however the Model S which I had as a loaner had NO sound but it was like 4 or 5 years old..
Thank you I'll take a look. Odd that some people seem to be able to get this "fixed". Between that and the fact that I'm now being told auto wipers and cruise are just beta so I shouldn't expect them to work I'm seriously contemplating handing it back.

Can you explain in more detail, this was for the high whistle when you drive or the wind noise from the cabin? I am bringing the car to service tomorrow and I want to explain to the advisor in more detail vs just tell the tech to fix the "perimeter penthouse seal". thank you
This was for the high pitched whine that emanated from the motor consistently in the 50-70mph range (for me personally). Not wind noise

Hello,

I've been seeing more reports of users having high pitched noises coming from the rear of their cars when cruising. I recently got a new 2022 Model Y LR and have found that the noise really picks up above 67mph and gets very loud and high pitched. It's honestly a bit painful especially on longer highway drives. My service center is saying that it's within spec, but it seems that the willingness to fix this issue varies by service center.

Andy Slye recently posted a video where his car has the same issue, and his service center fixed it. But mine is saying it's within normal operating parameters and says I'd need to pay for labor to have components like the rear ground strap and penthouse seal inspected/re-fitted.

I'm hoping that if enough people are submitting this issue, Tesla will issue a service bulletin like they did with the Model 3 a few years ago.

Mine does it too. It turned out to be my mother-in-law.

• Funny
Reactions: Happy Hippo
I have this same noise with my 2022 MYP. I took it to the berkeley service center and during the test drive with the technician, initially he said it was a normal sound. then as we were driving home, he said it did get a little louder than he was comfortable with and wanted to evaluate it a bit more. Took home a loaner for a couple days and was later told that the noise was normal. It’s still pretty annoying as you can still hear it with music playing. any one have luck with other service centers in the bay area for fixing this issue?

You can’t hear it because your car doesn’t have it. Congratulations, you’ve won the Tesla lotto.
I think you won the Tesla lotto OR you (along with a few others on this forum) have vey sensitive hearing/brain.
Here is on test method to verify it.
1. Ride with someone who doesn't hear it while measuring with the sound frequency/noise meter.
2. Ask the person if he/she can hear it.
2. Measure other Tesla cars with the same meter and see if the noise/frequency is the same.
3. If the noise/sound frequency is the same, and the other person is still not hearing it, it is you, not the car.

I think you won the Tesla lotto OR you (along with a few others on this forum) have vey sensitive hearing/brain.
Here is on test method to verify it.
1. Ride with someone who doesn't hear it while measuring with the sound frequency/noise meter.
2. Ask the person if he/she can hear it.
2. Measure other Tesla cars with the same meter and see if the noise/frequency is the same.
3. If the noise/sound frequency is the same, and the other person is still not hearing it, it is you, not the car.
Good sir, there are at least a dozen threads on this topic spanning the last three years. It was present in my 2020 MY in 2020 and it is still present in 2023. It’s not imaginary, the people here aren’t exaggerating, nor are they overly sensitive. Your car doesn’t have it, great, now go away because you have nothing of value to add here.

Reactions: BZM3