Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Pitched Whine Sound Coming From Rear Cabin 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I've been seeing more reports of users having high pitched noises coming from the rear of their cars when cruising. I recently got a new 2022 Model Y LR and have found that the noise really picks up above 67mph and gets very loud and high pitched. It's honestly a bit painful especially on longer highway drives. My service center is saying that it's within spec, but it seems that the willingness to fix this issue varies by service center.

Andy Slye recently posted a video where his car has the same issue, and his service center fixed it. But mine is saying it's within normal operating parameters and says I'd need to pay for labor to have components like the rear ground strap and penthouse seal inspected/re-fitted.

I'm hoping that if enough people are submitting this issue, Tesla will issue a service bulletin like they did with the Model 3 a few years ago.

Hello,

I've been seeing more reports of users having high pitched noises coming from the rear of their cars when cruising. I recently got a new 2022 Model Y LR and have found that the noise really picks up above 67mph and gets very loud and high pitched. It's honestly a bit painful especially on longer highway drives. My service center is saying that it's within spec, but it seems that the willingness to fix this issue varies by service center.

Andy Slye recently posted a video where his car has the same issue, and his service center fixed it. But mine is saying it's within normal operating parameters and says I'd need to pay for labor to have components like the rear ground strap and penthouse seal inspected/re-fitted.

I'm hoping that if enough people are submitting this issue, Tesla will issue a service bulletin like they did with the Model 3 a few years ago.
Do you have a video of the noise?

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Mine makes a high pitched whining noise when I stomp on the go pedal but it's nothing sustained or specific to a particular speed, it seems entirely driven by the amount of current dumped into the motor(s). Also since sound (pitch and volume) can be fairly subjective, might be good to look into a frequency analyzer app for your phone and get some actual data. Perhaps someone here can make a specific recommendation for one but there are dozens on the Apple appstore for example, I'm sure the same exist for Android. Narrowing down the frequency and db level may help you advocate with Tesla, and find corroborating evidence from other owners.

You can confirm the rear high pitched whine sound by pulling out the rear seats and checking if the battery penthouse seal is off by tugging the foam. If it's off, you can also visually see the foam pointing vertically and not properly seated. I ended up solving this by adding additional foam insulation around the seal area. The annoying sound went away completely. Highly recommend addressing this.

This thread was helpful in leading to the DIY solution.

It is crap like this that makes me want to cancel my order, due to come in the next 6 weeks. Ask them to show you the spec and then prove it meets it.
Please cancel your order, so you don't have to keep coming back here and complain about something.:cool:

Electric motor makes high pitched whine noise, but we all have no idea how much noise OP is hearing from his car since we didn't hear the noise in person. OP needs to try to visit different service center or try to test drive another MYLR at the service center to compare with the technician to confirm your concern.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Please cancel your order, so you don't have to keep coming back here and complain about something.:cool:

Electric motor makes high pitched whine noise, but we all have no idea how much noise OP is hearing from his car since we didn't hear the noise in person. OP needs to try to visit different service center or try to test drive another MYLR at the service center to compare with the technician to confirm your concern.
You clearly haven't watched the video. The noise is definitely not normal, it sounds like a dentist's drill.

Watch the video and hear it for yourself:

You clearly haven't watched the video. The noise is definitely not normal, it sounds like a dentist's drill.

Watch the video and hear it for yourself:
I am not saying it is normal, but every electric motors make high pitched whine noise, and we don't know how much OP's car makes. OP might be very sensitive to the noise or there's' actually problem with the motor or anywhere in the car.

Please do not say it is not normal or normal since you are NOT OP and you didn't actually hear it or was not there with OP. YouTube video means nothing since it is NOT OP's car and the guy is not OP.

I am not saying it is normal, but every electric motors make high pitched whine noise, and we don't know how much OP's car makes. OP might be very sensitive to the noise or there's' actually problem with the motor or anywhere in the car.

Please do not say it is not normal or normal since you are NOT OP and you didn't actually hear it or was not there with OP. YouTube video means nothing since it is NOT OP's car and the guy is not OP.
I know what a normal motor sounds like because I owned a Model Y for a year. The only sound you should hear from the motor is when you're accelerating. If you're hearing a whine during cruise speed which is what OP is stating then that is not normal at all.

Reactions: Cookie71
I just took delivery of a 2022 Model Y Performance 3 days ago and am having the same issue as the OP. It's identical in sound to the Andy Slye video and happens at the same speed range. I took the car into service today, and they said it was "normal EV sounds" even though I let them know this could potentially be caused by an incorrect seal. They drove the car for 1 mile and wrote me off.

I know what a normal motor sounds like because I owned a Model Y for a year. The only sound you should hear from the motor is when you're accelerating. If you're hearing a whine during cruise speed which is what OP is stating then that is not normal at all.
simply not true, but the video noise is more than I hear on multiple Tesla cars. Not sure if the camera microphone is more sensitive to the noise with higher gain set up, but it does have same motor accelerating/deceleration sound, but louder.

Last edited:
simply not true, but the video noise is more than I hear on multiple Tesla cars. Not sure if the camera microphone is more sensitive to the noise with higher gain set up, but it does have same motor accelerating/deceleration sound, but louder.
Going to agree with @YNoVA . I had two 2022 MYP's 4 months apart, and the noise difference is clear as day especially when you've an identical car before. Old one didn't have it, new one did. The manufacturing is just that inconsistent.

seems to be more prevalent on newer ones my 6/22 has the sound here and there too good thing is its not any harm being done and with the radio on even at low you cannot hear it, we have to realize this car is not was not designed to be the most quiet car or it would have the model S noise cancelation

A success story for me if anyone needs guidance...

My new Model Y was delivered and on day 1 had a pretty annoying high pitched whine, consistent from the 50-70mph range. It was hard to determine where exactly it was coming from as the sound would kind of envelope the whole cabin. It wasn't super loud, but sounded like I was getting my ears checked, and it was enough to hear over music, and was overall a real annoyance as I am a highway commuter. I thought I could just live with it, but after riding in a friends Y that was silent, I decided to bring it into service at 1,500 miles and hoped for the best.

Before dropping off the car, I took two rides with Tesla technicians to diagnose, and they determined the sound was not normal, and I received a loaner while they tried to repair. Worst case they said would need a full replacement of the drive unit.

The following day, I received notice that the repair was complete. The fix was "Seal - Perimeter - HV Battery (remove and replace)".

It's only been a few days but I am happy to report that the sound is no longer noticeable, job well done.

Reactions: WyoDude and Ts91
Anyone have this high-pitched whine noise when taking the foot off the accelerator? Picked up my 2023 LR MY yesterday, and took the first highway drive today. So far, it's only happening when I am above 60 mph and slowing down (foot off accelerator, no contact with brake pedal). Need to test out more, but wanted to see if others have experienced this.

Anyone have this high-pitched whine noise when taking the foot off the accelerator? Picked up my 2023 LR MY yesterday, and took the first highway drive today. So far, it's only happening when I am above 60 mph and slowing down (foot off accelerator, no contact with brake pedal). Need to test out more, but wanted to see if others have experienced this.
Noises while regenerative breaking are pretty typical. All teslas seem to have that