Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

high pitched whistle sounds from Raven Model S Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear high pitched whistle sounds from my June 2019 MSP.
I did not hear these sounds from my 2018 P100D.
The sound may be from the new front motor.

I did a recording with a Zoom H2 and analyzed it using Audacity with the result shown below at 55 mph.
The peaks at around 4 KHz, 11 KHz and 13 KHz are clearly visible confirm what I am hearing.
I have other recordings and analysis at lower and higher speeds with similar results.
These whistle sounds are constantly present at a steady speed.

Does anyone else hear these sounds? Any ideas how they might be reduced?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 3.30.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 3.30.44 PM.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 64
I hear them in my Raven Performance. Usually at low throttle cruising, which is consistent with when the front motor would be more active. It's definitely a different sound than dual motor pre-raven loaners I've had. I don't find the sound objectionable, but then again I don't have the high-frequency hearing I used to. No one else who had ridden in the cat has mentioned it. I only notice because my previous Model S was RWD (P85+ awesomeness and for sale) so didn't have motor noises from the front (just a giant frunk and powerful noises from the back)!

I hear high pitched whistle sounds from my June 2019 MSP.
I did not hear these sounds from my 2018 P100D.
The sound may be from the new front motor.

I did a recording with a Zoom H2 and analyzed it using Audacity with the result shown below at 55 mph.
The peaks at around 4 KHz, 11 KHz and 13 KHz are clearly visible confirm what I am hearing.
I have other recordings and analysis at lower and higher speeds with similar results.
These whistle sounds are constantly present at a steady speed.

Does anyone else hear these sounds? Any ideas how they might be reduced?
13kHz is pretty high!
Are you using Range Mode?
Try it on and then off and check what you hear?

No I did not use range mode.

Some people may not be able to hear 13 KHz, but most everyone will hear 4 KHz.

Below is the measurement for 35 mph with very audible whistles at both 3.5 and 4 KHz.
The whistle is stronger at some speeds than others.

Anyone else hearing these whistle sounds at steady speeds?

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 3.44.21 PM.png

I have a model S long range and also hear this high pitched noise. Usually comes at 40-60 mph, with around 35 Kw power (when it’s in the yellow on the energy display). Great car otherwise but would love to get rid of that annoying noise!

Coming from a rear-motor-only P85+ I was prepared for some noise where there didn't used to be noise, but I do have to say the Raven motor is a little annoying. I can cover it up by playing music, but during quiet songs, or with the volume down, it is louder than I'd prefer it to be. I hope they can make a software improvement to the motor controller to mitigate it. I actually have a technique that mitigates similar tonal noises in a different domain (phase-angle dimming for lighting) which could maybe apply to PMSR motor control (if any Tesla engineers want to have a call I'd happy describe the technique to them).

I have the same issue in my Sep 2019 Model S Raven Long Range. It bothers my wife more than it bothers me, because her hearing is better than mine. I have also noticed that I can modulate it with very slight changes in power/speed (let up very slightly in power and it'll go away, add power and it returns).