Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Power Home Charging Package worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the twin chargers but not the HPWC in case I ran across >10kW chargers in the wild, or if in the future my daily usage changed and I wanted to add the HPWC. If I was buying today, I'd probably just go ahead and get it, since the price for the bundle is still less than the cost to just add the second charger later.

You can always install the HPWC on a smaller breaker and configure it to report the lower amperage if running a 100 amp circuit isn't worth the extra cost, if nothing else you can keep the UMC in the car all the time.

As it happens, I was planning to get the both the TC and the HPWC anyway. The HPWC would go in my garage at 60 amps as an aesthetic thing so I don't have to plug/unplug my UMC everyday.

Here in Canada, 60-amp+ public chargers are prevalent, so I want the TC to minimize the time I spend charging when I travel.

I still think this bundle is a bad idea that forces people to make a decision they didn't have to make before. What happened to "optionality", Elon?

Hopefully, they will back off on this soon.

I still think this bundle is a bad idea that forces people to make a decision they didn't have to make before. What happened to "optionality", Elon?

Hopefully, they will back off on this soon.

Agreed. We will set up a 32 amp connection at home. Can not go much higher without big $ (long driveway). We were looking at the twin chargers but not if we have to pay for both.

For what it is worth, I emailed Tesla telling them the bundle was a really poor idea. Maybe if they hear it from enough folks, they will back off. Damn, getting just like the old car companies - you want this option? Then you have to also take this one.

The most positive thing about the bundle is that there will be a lot more donations of HPWCs to businesses. I hope those businesses are in OK and KS as there won't be any Superchargers there for years--and the dots shown in the map aren't in great locations (for me).

It took a while to receive our HPWC and we used the UMC exclusively until then. UMC works great and I have recommended not getting the HPWC to others who have purchased The MS. However I have found it very helpful when I have had to range charge for a couple of trips. We wanted to leave ASAP after needing to run some errands using the MS and it was more convienent being able to charge twice as fast to get the full range and leave the house sooner. It is useful in certain travel circumstances where the charging infrastructure isn't as readily available.

Is the HPWC worth it? The answer for me was yes and no. I bought the HPWC/Twin charger package and had 2 possible locations for install. At home or at work. It made perfect sense for me to install the 14-50 at home because this is where the car would be for an extended period of time. It was also a place where I could very easily find a 50amp source without incurring much cost. Finding a 100amp feed in a typical residential home is some serious power and in my case was way overkill. However, at my office I was able to be in a place where the infrastructure to support the kind of power this things needs was more readily available. I elected to purchase a new transformer and decided to go with a 200amp unit. My reasoning here was one that I may need to charge during the day quickly, and possibly wanted to future proof my location for added EV's later on.

I know everyones situation will be different than mine, but some using the HPWC at home was not a requirement for me.

If I had a need for the HPWC, I'd rather install a ClipperCreek CS-100, so I could use the J1772 with other cars.

Maybe this twin charging/HPWC combination is an attempt to get an installed base of HPWC chargers into the field and create a barrier to purchasing competing cars because of incompatible connectors.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

I own a 1960s duplex and checked my side of the breaker at the meter and it does say 100A. So it sounds like I COULD install the HPWC. However, based on Tesla's calculator under CHARGING > CALCULATORS > WHICH EQUIPMENT IS RIGHT FOR YOU? and answering the questions there (I answered NO / NO), it's recommended I just live with the mobile connector and single charger. I may go that route. But if I'm going to pay an electrician to get the 240V 14-50, how much more cost is there to get set up with the HPWC since my breaker can do 100A?

By the way, it's interesting to note that now they bundle the HPWC and twin charger together, their calculator results haven't been updated yet since their recommendation is for Mobile Connector + Twin Chargers when you answer NO / YES to their questions. We can't get just the Twin Chargers any more!

My other questions are:

- The calculator questions are directed at my current situation. If I sell the Tesla for the next latest and greatest, is not having the twin chargers feature in the Tesla a big deal on resale?
- Would you hire a local electrician to do the electrical work or have Tesla's SolarCity installer do the work?
- I have a two-car garage. Where would you locate the 240 14-50 connector (1 or 2) in the garage? And/Or locate the HPWC?

Last edited:
Your panel is 100amps, thats for the entire house. The HPWC can draw 40-100amps which would overload your panel. Have an electrician in to do a load test, and that will determine if you even have enough room for a 14-50 at 50amps. Hope that helps.

Discussed in great depth here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7060-Twin-Chargers-Why

The mandatory HPWC wrinkle doesn't change much, except to accentuate that the main reason is because you drive more than the range of your car in back to back sessions with less than overnight hours between sessions. A second reason is that you know of existing or firm plans for high-power Level 2 chargers along long distance routes you're likely to take that don't have superchargers.

In my view, the second reason is going away fast. There's no economic incentive to put in high power Level 2 chargers that only some Model S's can use when those Model S's can all use existing or soon upcoming Superchargers. There's even an argument to make that putting in hi power L2 charging will slow the rate at which Superchargers will come to that route.

Your panel is 100amps, thats for the entire house. The HPWC can draw 40-100amps which would overload your panel. Have an electrician in to do a load test, and that will determine if you even have enough room for a 14-50 at 50amps. Hope that helps.

True. Good point. Thanks! I've arranged to have one stop by.

Then how do the twin chargers work? It says 80A in the calculator. I guess this allows going to commercial places that charge up if I can't at my house?

Then how do the twin chargers work? It says 80A in the calculator. I guess this allows going to commercial places that charge up if I can't at my house?

Some areas have 70 amp J1772 EVSEs. If you only have a single charger you can still only charge at 40 amps rather than 70. The thing is that the number of chargers will increase, not decrease. There are a number of Leaf owners in the NTEAA that are now regretting they didn't get the optional larger connector. When they purchased their Leaf there no EVSEs that used those connectors around, now there are many but they can't use them.

It's all about charging options that you can (or can't) take advantage of.

Reasons I bought the HPWC.

1) I expect Tesla will offer larger battery packs in the future (85 kWh -> 100 kWh).
2) There are no plans for Superchargers anywhere near me.
3) I would like to keep the mobile charging cable in the car - not connecting and disconnecting each time I take a trip.
4) I had already installed the infrastructure to support my Nissan LEAF and solar panels.
5) There are 70 Amp J1772 chargers in locations where I don't see any Superchargers scheduled to be installed. California and Canada are examples.
6) Tesla Stores and Service centers offer 70 Amp J1772.

Reasons I bought the HPWC.

1) I expect Tesla will offer larger battery packs in the future (85 kWh -> 100 kWh).

What matters is how many miles you drive, not how big the battery is.

2) There are no plans for Superchargers anywhere near me.

What matters is whether you can get to a full charge at home while you sleep, not whether there's some charger not at home that's faster.

3) I would like to keep the mobile charging cable in the car - not connecting and disconnecting each time I take a trip.

For living in CA like you do, there are far more numerous and more convenient J1772s for trips than boring, inconvenient RV parks. Unless I'm traveling to a friend's house and intend to use their dryer connection, I don't take the UMC with me ever.

4) I had already installed the infrastructure to support my Nissan LEAF and solar panels.

You can't charge your Leaf with the HPWC.

5) There are 70 Amp J1772 chargers in locations where I don't see any Superchargers scheduled to be installed. California and Canada are examples.

The HPWC won't help you on the road. The twin chargers might, but not for long.

6) Tesla Stores and Service centers offer 70 Amp J1772.

Again, the HPWC won't help there. The twin chargers might, assuming you're on the road and need to charge up and the Tesla stores/service centers are open.

I got TC and the HPWC. While it's not necessary for most usage, I like TC for accesses to >40A charging. I have my HPWC on an 80A circuit so get 64A at the charger. It's actually useful because I need the faster charging this morning. Nice when you need it.

As for the bundle, OT to this thread but Tesla should be shamed for that.

I think this is purely based on personal need. I tried not to get the TC, but realized I am planning 2-3 days ahead for my travel schedule. If I needed to make a change, it would be difficult. So I went with the TC and loved the convenience of quicker charging.