Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Power Home Charging Package worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course it is my opinion, I can only state my opinion and nobody else's. And of course it is a choice. I am simply saying that my choice would have been different. I am not that desperate to drive this car that I will let Tesla off the hook for not planning their supply chain properly. Tesla feels it is okay to deliver a car without all of the features it was ordered with, and then inconveniencing the customer by requiring a service call to install the missing components. If more customers rejected their vehicles, Tesla would get their act together. They continue to do these things because customers let them. As you said, it is a customer choice. However, my opinion is that the choices customers are making are also enabling Tesla to continue mismanaging its supply chain and at the ultimate inconvenience of the customer.

Again, this is my opinion because that's all I can offer. So no need to point out whose opinion this is. I think it's a given that whenever any of us writes something, it is the opinion of the person who wrote the post. Yes?

There is an extra cost to Tesla to do these retrofits, so I'm sure they are trying to get their supply chain in order as best they can.

Has anyone been able to successfully claim the Federal tax credit on the HPWC?

There is an assumption floating around the internet that if the connector is proprietary, the EVSE does not really add to the greater charging infrastructure, and therefore does not qualify for the credit.
I thought the EVSE had to have a J1772 connector which"most" BEVs can use. And yes, at the rate Tesla is shipping the Model S, an argument can be made that the proprietary Tesla connector will be able to serve a sizable portion of BEVs on the road (even if they are only Tesla made vehicles).

As a current Chevy Volt Owner, I opted to install a Clipper Creek CS-100 so I will be ready when the Model S with twin chargers arrives. It does a fine jo bof charging my Volt at 16 amps, and I'm just happy I won't have to do this work again.

Has anyone been able to successfully claim the Federal tax credit on the HPWC?

There is an assumption floating around the internet that if the connector is proprietary, the EVSE does not really add to the greater charging infrastructure, and therefore does not qualify for the credit.
I thought the EVSE had to have a J1772 connector which"most" BEVs can use. And yes, at the rate Tesla is shipping the Model S, an argument can be made that the proprietary Tesla connector will be able to serve a sizable portion of BEVs on the road (even if they are only Tesla made vehicles).

As a current Chevy Volt Owner, I opted to install a Clipper Creek CS-100 so I will be ready when the Model S with twin chargers arrives. It does a fine jo bof charging my Volt at 16 amps, and I'm just happy I won't have to do this work again.

Neither the IRS form nor its rules or memo regarding this credit state anything about the type of connector or that it has to fuel more than one brand of vehicle. Search IRS.GOV for the forms and publications regarding this credit and see for yourself.