Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High power usage when idle / parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Only have had my MY since last Saturday. But I've noticed that it seems to be using a fair amount of battery when parked on my drive at home.

For example last night (this morning) charged it to 80% which stopped at about 5:30am.

I have just checked the app for the first time today and its at 76%. 4% in less than 24 hours seems a lot when it is parked.

I've checked and Sentry mode is off, is there anything else I should be aware off ? I've also disable the overheat cabin fan mode.

Thanks,

Are you using any third party apps or services such as a energy suppliers smart monitoring like Octopus or E.ON with your Tesla account details?

Have you got scheduled departure configured in the settings to pre-heat/cool the car?

4% in 17 hours sounds consistent with usage if the car is not sleeping.

If there is any risk of a 3rd party service keeping the car awake changing your Tesla PW will revoke all access.

If that does not fix it you may need to raise a service request. Tesla can check the car remotely.

Normal usage should be under 1% per day if the car is asleep

It’s a difficult thing to diagnose without actually using third party tools that use the Streaming API. Opening the Tesla app will wake the car up if it’s asleep.

What you could do is check how long it takes to tell you the status of the car when you open the app. If it says “Parked” at the top within seconds, then it was likely already awake. If you get a long-ish delay before this happens, e.g. 15 seconds or so, then the car was likely asleep.

You can also try opening the Tesla app while you’re stood next to the car. If you hear a clonk sound (the high voltage contactors) then the car was asleep and is now waking up. If you don’t, it was already awake.

You can also hear when the car is awake if you stand close to it. You’ll hear a feint whirring sound (not a fan).

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH and Jason71
Or you can try Tessie App: https://tessie.app.link/gQMim94hCmb
Don't forget to check in settings the flag (see the picture attached).
In one year never had an issue with the app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220630-050946.jpg
    Screenshot_20220630-050946.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 319
  • Screenshot_20220630-051007.jpg
    Screenshot_20220630-051007.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 198
Reactions: snow-munki
Avoid constantly opening the Tesla app as that wakes it for 15mins or so each time.

I also have smart charging off, you still get 6 hours.

Cabin overheat protection might eat a little and a colder battery might report less capacity.

Finally, if you can, once done with your testing, leave it plugged in, with a sensible battery percent, depending on use.

But when will it know when to start to charge the car if I plug it in at 8pm for example ?
It just works it out, enable off peak charge, set end time 5:30 for all week. It will start the charge for you.

Then you are left to choose what percentage, it will charge up to it by 5:30am. You can also decide if you want to precondition. As I don't use mine very often I just leave it like that at 60% and up it to whatever I need the day before I need it.

Thanks, I’ve got octopus intelligent. But the cable isn’t plugged in so assume it’s not doing anything ??
yes, Intelligen Octopus will drain your battery.

go in the app, press on your profile icon, scroll to bottom and, select intelligent Octopus, scroll to botton and switch selector to off.

this is known bug on IO.

all the time, when I am not planning to use home charger I keep that disabled in app. Enable before plug in

I’ve turned off smart charging in the octopus app just now which I didn’t know about. Seems kinda stupid …. Oh well.
This is a well documented "bug" in IO which I and others plastered all over the IO threads. We're trying to get the devs to fix it.

As you've found, the workaround is to either switch off smart charging in the app when you're not scheduling anything, or leave the car plugged in. Either will ensure the car sleeps properly.

Reactions: Leejmoff
This is a well documented "bug" in IO which I and others plastered all over the IO threads. We're trying to get the devs to fix it.

As you've found, the workaround is to either switch off smart charging in the app when you're not scheduling anything, or leave the car plugged in. Either will ensure the car sleeps properly.
except if it is plugged in (and IO enabled), it does not really sleep properly. it wakes up every now and then (every hour/2 hrs, I do not remember) and goes to sleep again