Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) vs NEMA 14-50 Direct Plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question around the right choice here. To get a electrician to get the correct power from my box to the HPWC and install it, I gather it's around $400 give or take. Add another $550 for the HPWC unit and we are at about $950. Doing this charges at about 35 miles per hour.

The second option is to just have him install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use my included mobile charger. This would cost just the $400 and no additional cost for the HPWC unity. This setup would charge at 38 miles per hour.

For a typical overnight charger either one will complete the charge by the time I wake up.

So aside from the benefit of having another Tesla branded item in my garage and perhaps the convenience of being able to keep my mobile charge in my trunk, is there any other reason to not just go with the second option?

You don’t mention what car you have and what chargers, so depending on what you were going to wire to the HPWC it might charge faster.

But, yes, you summarized it properly. If your charging overnight there is no real benefit except the clean looks and keeping the EVSE in the car.

Now if you need to do quick turnaround or trying to charge in a short time of use billing period then faster charge rate is important.

Reactions: GSP and T34ME
Thanks for the quick responses. I pulled the charging times directly from Tesla’s website. Quick correction from my comment above. Charging per hour with the HPWC is 35 miles per hour. Plugging directly into a NEMA 14-50 outlet is 28 miles per hour. Not sure why there’s a difference but that’s what is stated on Tesla’s site.

I have a model S 75 though may upgrade sometime in the future. That said, partly based on your responses I’m leaving on just going with the more cost effective option of just adding the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
I chose HPWC primarily because I have seen several photos of 14-50 plugs and sockets melted due to excessive heat.
I don't know if there are any photos of melted/burnt HWPC that would tilt the decision in the other direction.

It is convenient to have the UMC bundle in the car, although I have never had the chance to use a 14-50 connector.
I have used all the others I think: 5-15, J1772, (and CHAdeMO which of course I purchased separately).

Reactions: CSFTN
A few quick points:

1. HPWC is $500, not $550. The price of the 24’ version used to be $550 a few months ago. It’s now $500.

2. Not only you would have to pull out the Mobile Connector every day, you would also have to plug it in every day, putting wear on the plug. In contrast, the HPWC is all hardwired.

3. If you decide to get a second Mobile Connector, it costs more than the HPWC.

4. With HPWC you can have higher amps and faster charging (if your panel allows that).

5. If you ever get a second Tesla in your household, you can daisy chain a second HPWC, and the two will be able to share the circuit so it will never get overloaded.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses. I pulled the charging times directly from Tesla’s website. Quick correction from my comment above. Charging per hour with the HPWC is 35 miles per hour. Plugging directly into a NEMA 14-50 outlet is 28 miles per hour. Not sure why there’s a difference but that’s what is stated on Tesla’s site.

I have a model S 75 though may upgrade sometime in the future. That said, partly based on your responses I’m leaving on just going with the more cost effective option of just adding the NEMA 14-50 outlet.
Your car can charge at up to 48 amps.

The HPWC would be installed on a 60a breaker for 48a (80% for continuous load). Or larger, but it wouldn’t make your car charge faster.

The14-50 would charge at 40a on a 50a breaker.

I’ve never used my EVSE away from the house. So I’ve never had to unplug it from the wall. My kids also plug in the car with the EVSE.

I did just purchase the HPWC and had it installed last week. Utility picked up 1/2 the cost so much couldn’t say no. I did have it put in a 50a breaker due to utility EV rate plans.

Reactions: liuping and JHWJR
If you don't need to charge away from home, or charge only from super chargers, Tesla Destination chargers, or the common Level 2 (J1772) public chargers, there's no reason you need to bring your mobile connector with you. I left mine attached to my home outlet 24/7, except on the very few occasions where I'd need it on the road (charging at a family member's house). Just loop the cable over a hook on the wall or ceiling, and go.

That said, my current (likely final) solution at home is a 14-50 outlet, and a wall-mounted Level 2 charger (not Tesla branded) that plugs into it with a short pigtail. That way I keep the flexibility of the outlet (RV charging, other uses), without the mechanical wear and tear on the mobile solution. Do note that there are two different kinds of 14-50 outlets. If you go with one, get the kind that is designed for frequent use. They're more expensive, but worth it.

Hard-wired EVSEs can be wired and configured for higher charging current than the 14-50, but if you don't need the higher charge rate, you can save money. I charged for several years on a 30 amp circuit (dryer plug), and never had a problem getting a full charge over night.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
All good feedback. I’m now leaning back toward the HPWC. Lol

I think my utility company will give me a $400 credit back on my bill too but my electrician is trying to convince me to skip the permit requirement. Said that alone may offset the credit amount.

Not sure what the difference is to him though whether I get a permit or not.

I went with a NEMA 14-50 in anticipation of my model 3. Cost me $230 for install with 6ga. wire because I had a short run. My electrician convinced me this was best. I don't do long trips anymore and I will just leave it plugged in and charge overnight. Electrician said if I change my mind in the future, he can easily swap out for the HPWC which will take less than 30 minutes since wiring is all there (he has done these before).

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
For the benefit of others who may read this thread, but apparently not for the OP, I would offer one additional advantage of the HPWC IF you have to install it outside (as I did). In my opinion, it would be a real pain to have to unplug your mobile connector and store it in the car, when it is wet with rain or wet and covered with ice or snow. And if the cable lies along the ground as mine does, the cable can be dirty from the soil, mulch, wet leaves, etc. So in that case, using the HPWC avoids having to put the wet/dirty assembly into your car. You still have to handle the wet cable, but to me that is less obnoxious.
And one other point. For those (probably few) people who install a charging facility outdoors and in a condo parking lot (as i did) or in some other quasi-public location, the HPWC (or other commercial Level 2 chargers) provide safety features that can help alleviate any neighbors' or homeowner association concerns about children playing with the cable and getting shocked, etc.

Or just avoid the decision entirely and get both!

I got the shorter cable version of the HPWC (saves $50), but also have a NEMA 14-50 below the 100A HPWC for instances where I might want to charge outside my garage using the longer UMC.
I have a Model 3 reservation for my wife and prewired the next bay as well for her. HPWCs can share the same circuit and charge simultaneously.
I don’t believe this is true for a NEMA 14-50.
As mentioned before, the HPWC is super convenient. Addition of the cable organizer really helps keep the cable off the floor in a single loop so it stays neat & clean.
E8D53558-771E-43E7-B885-05DB14B168AB.jpeg

The Tesla HPWC are super convenient, dude. You don't want to either have to leave your NEMA 14-50 cable plugged in at home or have to take it out of your Tesla and plug it in every time. My 7-year-olds can plug in the car using the HPWC -- super nice.
sure it's nice however you are paying the extra money for the HPWC.
for me and many others the 14-50 is sufficient, just get some sort of hook system for both the unit and wire and it is just like a permanent installation.

Reactions: wjhepworth
I’d rather have the cable in the trunk as a backup because if it melts, you’ll have to spend the money anyway on a new one. And, you’ll (should) have to keep taking it with you when you leave the house.
melts? if your wire melts there are bigger issues involved. I take mine off the wall only a few times a year when embarking on long trips where I might wind up off of the SpC network.

I am perfectly fine with 14-30 in my garage actually. I was going back and forth about purchasing HPWC for a while, but besides coolness factor I can't justify it. Maybe in future when I get a 2nd car I could take advantage of shared load, but even that is a stretch since the other car could charge in the garage while I am at work.

I also don't have an issue leaving UMC connected all the time. I suspect most of the issues related to melted connectors are related to connection that was not secured properly, faulty/damaged receptacle or the improper wiring/circuitry overload.

Reactions: cybergates