Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High School Graduation - SEQ November

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all astute Tesla owners,
My son is graduating from high school in November and is really keen to have him and his partner delivered to the ceremony by a Tesla, in competition with the usual Harleys, Mustangs, limos, Kenworths, old Holdens etc etc.
If anyone is interested in being chauffeur of their own vehicle, please consider.
More detail:
  • Date - Thursday 17 November
  • Time - approx. 2.30-5.00pm (to allow for length of procession)
  • Location - rural Beaudesert Qld (1 hour Brisbane, 1 hour Gold Coast)

Interested maybe? Why not combine it with a long week-end holiday to the Scenic Rim district (Google it). You’ll have free B&B at my place of residence if you like. Alternatively, I’m happy to subsidise your costs to a reasonable amount.

If range and availability aren't issues, then I’d love to hear from you.

Regards,
Rod
0437 508 029

G'Day All,

Typically, a Mustang (and similar), show cars, will hire at $300 per hour (drive yourself and only to drivers over 30 y.o. for insurance purposes), without driver and $425 per hour with driver. This case would appear to be with driver, so $425 per hour. The trip to Beaudesert from Gold Coast, or Brisbane, is about 1 hour. So, turnaround is 2 hours. 3 hours (effectively) on site, makes 5 hours all up. Total of $2125, or close to it. Now. a Tesla is likely to be more like your lambo/ferrari exotic car and this is normally charged at "POA". Hence, a price of $2125 would be, in effect, a concessional rate already. These are just the cruel commercial fats of life and do not prevent anyone from committing and act of charity at any random moment. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi, I have a brand new S60 VIN 150xxx confirmed order. Delivery is suppose to be in late Oct. Have been thinking about renting it out to private user. Here is the perspective of a potential lender:

Car cost $125K. Rental depreciation is 3 years. That would be $114/day if rental occupancy is 100% over 3 years just for depreciation.

Real occupancy rate might be 10% due to its niche nature. So that makes it $1140/day for depreciation.

Plus manpower and insurance around $500/day. That would be $1640/day just for opportunity cost on commercial basis. With all other business costs added, I would not be surprised with $2000/day breakeven spot.

No wonder nobody rents out Tesla in Australia. LoL.

Garyjac's calculation is basically spot on.

Having said all that, if Tesla delivers the car on time (late Oct) and I happen to be not away on 17.Nov (50% chance, I travel a lot for AGMs) I will be happy to help you out. :)

Only thing I will ask in return is that you install a Tesla HPWC at your home and make it available as free destination charger for all Tesla drivers. You can get it for free from Tesla destination charging team. Just have to pay electrician to install it.

Hi, I have a brand new S60 VIN 150xxx confirmed order. Delivery is suppose to be in late Oct. Have been thinking about renting it out to private user. Here is the perspective of a potential lender:

Car cost $125K. Rental depreciation is 3 years. That would be $114/day if rental occupancy is 100% over 3 years just for depreciation.

Real occupancy rate might be 10% due to its niche nature. So that makes it $1140/day for depreciation.

Plus manpower and insurance around $500/day. That would be $1640/day just for opportunity cost on commercial basis. With all other business costs added, I would not be surprised with $2000/day breakeven spot.

Having said all that, if Tesla delivers the car on time (late Oct) and I happen to be not away on 17.Nov (50% chance, I travel a lot for AGMs) I will be happy to help you out. :)

Only thing I will ask in return is that you install a Tesla HPWC at your home and make it available as free destination charger for all Tesla drivers. You can get it for free from Tesla destination charging team. Just have to pay electrician to install it.
Actually - Evoke (see Evoke | Zero Emissions Luxury Chauffeur Service).

pure back of the envelope calculator plus personal fantasy numbers:

Tesla limo service + UberBlack:

$100/day car depreciation @100% + 2 shifts with 2 drivers $500/day + admin cost $100/day = $700/day operating cost per car

Breakeven: $700 / 20 hours = $35/hour

As the one and only Tesla fleet in Sydney, I would say it's pretty easy to cover $35/hour operating cost.

They charge $80 for airport to CBD? No wonder they are expanding like mad.

Anyone else would like to start such a business with me on the GC?

Imagine getting Evoke to go to Scenic Rims for a day:

Flatbed two way trucking custom service from Sydney to Scenic Rim door to door: $1500

Fly in their driver and back: $500

Overnight for driver: $300

Wage for driver for 2 days: $500

We are at $2800 already. LoL.

pure back of the envelope calculator plus personal fantasy numbers:

Tesla limo service + UberBlack:

$100/day car depreciation @100% + 2 shifts with 2 drivers $500/day + admin cost $100/day = $700/day operating cost per car

Breakeven: $700 / 20 hours = $35/hour

As the one and only Tesla fleet in Sydney, I would say it's pretty easy to cover $35/hour operating cost.

They charge $80 for airport to CBD? No wonder they are expanding like mad.

Anyone else would like to start such a business with me on the GC?
I believe there has been a Model S purchased in Brisbane as a Limo also.

G'Day All,

Typically, a Mustang (and similar), show cars, will hire at $300 per hour (drive yourself and only to drivers over 30 y.o. for insurance purposes), without driver and $425 per hour with driver. This case would appear to be with driver, so $425 per hour. The trip to Beaudesert from Gold Coast, or Brisbane, is about 1 hour. So, turnaround is 2 hours. 3 hours (effectively) on site, makes 5 hours all up. Total of $2125, or close to it. Now. a Tesla is likely to be more like your lambo/ferrari exotic car and this is normally charged at "POA". Hence, a price of $2125 would be, in effect, a concessional rate already. These are just the cruel commercial fats of life and do not prevent anyone from committing and act of charity at any random moment. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the harsh reality check. I'm never going to spend over $2000 on a brief celebration for my son, especially when he's already been offered a Porsche for free. Guess I'll wait for that random offer of charity. Cheers.

I like the sound of that - encourage Tesla drivers to visit the Gold Coast Hinterland without fear of range. Maybe the Scenic Rim could get onboard, not that they're noted for progressive thinking.
Do you think the HPWC could be up and running by November?
Regards.

Please take the free Porsche offer, normally young adults wants to blend in with the crowd, not standing out as some Eco Warrior.

If you contact Tesla sales people they will connect you to their destination charging team. Once they approve your location then you will receive the HPWC sent by Tesla for free. After that you just have to get any electrician to install it. This should not cost you more than $300 - $500. The job is super easy. Any sparky can do it.

Maybe you want to put up your guest bed room on Airbnb for rental? With a HPWC, you have additional selling point for your guests.

Even without buying a Tesla, by installing a HPWC at your home, you are promoting sustainable transportation of the future.

Btw, we are in the process of doing exactly what I am advocating here at our new house in Worongary. Once it's done, I will put it up on Tesla Destination Charging Map and PlugShare. It will be free to charge for all Tesla drivers. Location is just 1 min off M1 exit @ Worongary and Merrimac. More details when it's all done in August.

Just the one caveat to mention. If you do not already have 3-phase power at the site then get the single phase charger. Connecting 3-phase power can be an expensive exercise if not already in place. A high current (32A circuit) in Qld neck of the woods is likely to run more like $1000 depending on cabling distance too.

Let's just clarify a little, in case of genuine misunderstanding though. A single phase charger will be the most cost effective if you only have single phase power to the premises. Easy to see in the power box as there will only be the one (large) plastic-encased fuse before the meter. If three phase is connected then there will be 3 large plastic encased fuses. Both types charge just ONE car at a time. The three phase can provide 3 x 16A and thus about 11kW and possibly 3 x 32A or about 22 kW (max. usable for dual charger Model S cars). These equate to 55km/hr and 110km/hr (roughly) charging rates. It is likely that installing 3-phase would be quite expensive and so a single phase charger at 32 or 40Amps is still quite good for charging the Model S.