Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High sided bed not good for trailering boats.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the things I do with my current truck is pulling boats on trailers. When it comes time to retrieve a boat at the launch, to get the trailer deep enough, the truck back tires need to be 6-8 inches in the water (at the launch I commonly use). To avoid having to take my shoes off and wade in the water (which will be ice cold in November), I open the back door of the truck and use the open door jamb to climb up into the front corner of the bed over the side. Then I can put the tailgate down and sit on the tailgate to step out on the tongue of the trailer, and wait there to connect the front of the boat to the winch when my partner drives the boat onto the trailer. All without even taking my shoes off.

Pulling the boat out with the Cybertruck's high sided-bed is going to mean wading in knee-deep water to connect the winch strap and pull the boat up tight on the trailer. Annoying.

Reactions: Eclectic
One of the things I do with my current truck is pulling boats on trailers. When it comes time to retrieve a boat at the launch, to get the trailer deep enough, the truck back tires need to be 6-8 inches in the water (at the launch I commonly use). To avoid having to take my shoes off and wade in the water (which will be ice cold in November), I open the back door of the truck and use the open door jamb to climb up into the front corner of the bed over the side. Then I can put the tailgate down and sit on the tailgate to step out on the tongue of the trailer, and wait there to connect the front of the boat to the winch when my partner drives the boat onto the trailer. All without even taking my shoes off.

Pulling the boat out with the Cybertruck's high sided-bed is going to mean wading in knee-deep water to connect the winch strap and pull the boat up tight on the trailer. Annoying.
Crawl through the pass-through. Lol.

• Funny
Reactions: jboy210 and keeney
All you need is to strap the trailer like the blow boat guys do. Then you get your trailer depth while keeping your Sperrys high and dry.

Retrieval step 4 chocking wheels.jpg

Last edited:
...or like the rest of us have done for the last 90 years or so, we use the top of the rear tires as a step into the bed.....

Yes of course, but its just that much higher to climb over. I'm not a young buck anymore.

Pretty sure my next truck will be an EV. The Cybertruck is still in the running (I put down my $100), but when GM and Ford release their more conventional full sized pickups about the same time, it will come down to deciding between Tesla being the leader in EV tech vs.a truck configured more the way I want.

Reactions: Electruck
Elon did say there would be an auto tow hitch mode on the truck, maybe that would solve part/all of the problem?
Ford already has trailer backing assist.

What is really needed is a "summon to boat launch with trailer". When activated from the boat, it needs to pull out of the parking slot without clipping other vehicles with the trailer, patiently wait its turn while watching the other amateurs struggle to back trailers and launch or retrieve boats, pull around and align the trailer on the ramp, back the trailer down the ramp to the correct depth in the water, wait while I drive the boat on, and then pull forward up the ramp when I signal.

When launching the boat, its a little simpler, except for the daunting problem of finding a trailer parking slot at a crowded boat launch on the 4th of July.

Many humans experience a lot of frustration with the above tasks, so its a worthwhile AI challenge to be sure.

• Love
Reactions: destructure00
Yes of course, but its just that much higher to climb over. I'm not a young buck anymore.

Pretty sure my next truck will be an EV. The Cybertruck is still in the running (I put down my $100), but when GM and Ford release their more conventional full sized pickups about the same time, it will come down to deciding between Tesla being the leader in EV tech vs.a truck configured more the way I want.

I'm not a young buck anymore either. The CybrTrk has the squat feature in the suspension for loading, we'll use it, plain and simple. It's not complicated as a feature, Detroit was just "saving" it for their future builds. Stick with Musk, trust me.

Reactions: jboy210
Elon did say there would be an auto tow hitch mode on the truck, maybe that would solve part/all of the problem?

I somehow that will work well with the hitch underwater.

It sounds like the ramp in question here doesn’t have a proper grade, the trailer has a far too short tongue, or the truck has a very short bed. Having the rear wheels 6-8” in the water for a bit launch is terrible, the wet part of ramps is generally coated in algae and slime and the ramp grade being steep is supposed to avoid this problem.

Ford already has trailer backing assist.

What is really needed is a "summon to boat launch with trailer". When activated from the boat, it needs to pull out of the parking slot without clipping other vehicles with the trailer, patiently wait its turn while watching the other amateurs struggle to back trailers and launch or retrieve boats, pull around and align the trailer on the ramp, back the trailer down the ramp to the correct depth in the water, wait while I drive the boat on, and then pull forward up the ramp when I signal.

When launching the boat, its a little simpler, except for the daunting problem of finding a trailer parking slot at a crowded boat launch on the 4th of July.

Many humans experience a lot of frustration with the above tasks, so its a worthwhile AI challenge to be sure.

My solution is get to the water before the crowds. And having access to private ramps helps.:)

Reactions: Electruck
It sounds like the ramp in question here doesn’t have a proper grade, the trailer has a far too short tongue, or the truck has a very short bed. Having the rear wheels 6-8” in the water for a bit launch is terrible, the wet part of ramps is generally coated in algae and slime and the ramp grade being steep is supposed to avoid this problem.

Almost all the public boat launch ramps in Minnesota are built by the state DNR. In my experience, they are pretty uniformly the same slope, so I imagine they have a standardized design they use. Any steeper and 2wd trucks and cars wouldn't be able to pull boats back up the wet ramp. My truck is pretty much the same size and wheelbase as the Cybertruck - a 4-door 3/4 ton with 6.5' bed, so I think the boat launching experience will be similar.

How tolerant of submersion are the Tesla EV components? Does the Cybertruck have a water-depth spec?