Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High speed "pebble in a tin can" sound above 70 mph solved. 2021 LR Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to share my experience. I have a 2021 LR Model 2 with 32K miles. Replaced all 4 18" tires with Conti ExtremeContact which are excellent tires in dry and wet at the cost of range. These tires are quieter than the Michelin MXM4's that came with the car even with the acoustic foam inside. Left the tire shop and took it on the freeway for a high speed test drive to make sure the wheels where balanced. Noticed the tires are much quieter than the mxm4's and a new sound that only occurred above 70 mph. It sounded like a "pebble in a tin can". I don't have aero covers on, I have lug nut covers and center cap covers. Got home torqued the wheels to factory spec and looked to see what might be causing the issue but didn't see anything. After a week of scratching my head, I looked in the front bumper air inlet wondering if something might be up in the air inlet causing the noise. Well, I found the sound. There were small pebbles on the radiator between the black plastic guard. I was able to use a long screwdriver and pliers to remove the two pebbles and all the leaves (I used a water hose and leaf blower to get most of them out). I took it on a test drive and the sound was gone. So, if you hear a sound in the front of the car, don't discount something in the air inlet causing the noise.

Wanted to share my experience. I have a 2021 LR Model 2 with 32K miles. Replaced all 4 18" tires with Conti ExtremeContact which are excellent tires in dry and wet at the cost of range. These tires are quieter than the Michelin MXM4's that came with the car even with the acoustic foam inside. Left the tire shop and took it on the freeway for a high speed test drive to make sure the wheels where balanced. Noticed the tires are much quieter than the mxm4's and a new sound that only occurred above 70 mph. It sounded like a "pebble in a tin can". I don't have aero covers on, I have lug nut covers and center cap covers. Got home torqued the wheels to factory spec and looked to see what might be causing the issue but didn't see anything. After a week of scratching my head, I looked in the front bumper air inlet wondering if something might be up in the air inlet causing the noise. Well, I found the sound. There were small pebbles on the radiator between the black plastic guard. I was able to use a long screwdriver and pliers to remove the two pebbles and all the leaves (I used a water hose and leaf blower to get most of them out). I took it on a test drive and the sound was gone. So, if you hear a sound in the front of the car, don't discount something in the air inlet causing the noise.
Were those Conti Extreme Contact tires the DWS06? Don't seem too alarmingly high price. I'd like to hear ow you like them after a few months.

Were those Conti Extreme Contact tires the DWS06? Don't seem too alarmingly high price. I'd like to hear ow you like them after a few months.
Yes. I love them. After 17k miles they still are at 8/32. Great dry/wet traction, a bit noisier over time than stock but I am use to them now. I think I am going to get close to the 50k rated tread life from them. It helped to have Tesla correct the incorrect front wheel alignment from the factory.

• Informative
Reactions: drdumont