Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Speed Performance Upgrade (for autobahn)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
I found this mention of a "High Speed Performance Upgrade" in Germany interesting.

Do you think it's just software? Or a taller gear that gives up some 0-60 acceleration for a higher top speed?

And with a taller gear would it cruise at high speeds more efficiently? Or will the same amount of energy be required to overcome wind resistance at 120mph, despite the motor is spinning slower through a taller gear?

The Model S currently has a fixed single-ratio gearbox. Currently the car is limited at 130MPH, which is presumably because they want to limit the RPM of the motor. They could raise the limiter, but they'd be potentially incurring additional warranty costs by running the engine faster. Indeed they may need to significantly increase the RPMs to get to the top speed they're targeting (150MPH? That's a motor spinning 15% faster). Alternatively, they may do as you say, and adjust the gear ratio such that you trade some acceleration for a higher top speed.

I suspect it's the latter, but either option is possible.

I'd assume it's a suspension upgrade, because in the video clip I saw of the event Elon said the upgrade would make the car feel really good at high speeds. The Model S (at least without the P+) doesn't feel the greatest at high speeds.

I'd assume it's a suspension upgrade, because in the video clip I saw of the event Elon said the upgrade would make the car feel really good at high speeds. The Model S (at least without the P+) doesn't feel the greatest at high speeds.

Interesting. That would make more sense, I suppose. I, like OP, assumed they were addressing the complaint of the relatively low top speed for the German highways.

I want a solution for the "acceleration limiter in < 2 laps" problem. I hope what he's talking about includes a fix for this issue.

The top speed is fine for my wants.
Too bad we don't have access to that cooling diagram at the track. It would be interesting to know what's overheating. Is it the motor/inverter? With all that stuff accessible under the rear seats, maybe removing them for track days would aid in cooling. If it's the battery I'm not sure there's much that can be done without some kind of track package upgrade from Tesla.