TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

High speed?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by vrykolas, May 2, 2017.

1. vrykolas

vrykolas Member

I didn't see a thread about this topic for the X, so I thought I would start and put my thoughts. I don't normally condone this, but I thought this would be good for 'documentation and research' purposes.

First, I'm not speed-demon nor do I have a "heavy foot" (that's usually my wife). Although I'm definitely not averse to a quick start off the line every now and then for fun. I usually drive like a grandma. Usually not more than 5 mph over the speed limit.

But I was visiting my brother-in-law and we took the X and his BMW M5 out. There just "happen" to be a nice stretch of flat, isolated, and no other traffic at the time. He took off, so I "followed".

In a VERY short time I was up to 114 mph. I barely noticed! And I just have a standard X90D with stock wheels/tires.
    Overall I think the car handled really well.
    Only at the end of the stretch it curved up and to the left a bit. If I had planned a bit better, I might have handled the car a bit more elegantly.

But I noticed at those speeds (and with a slight curve), the tires were a little 'squishy' (inflated to factory recommendations). They were still VERY well planted on the ground with NO squeal or loss of control. Straight-line is no problem, but curves are a little more precarious for a vehicle of this weight at these speeds.

If I had the performance rims/tires it would likely have been a little more controlled. But I will probably never go that speed again, so I prefer the more efficiency (and softer ride) of the stock tires.

Was I crazy? I don't think so. It was a safe/isolated road with clear conditions. (The Germans do this all the time, right?)
    Did I get a ticket? Nope, and I don't plan to get a speeding ticket later. (speed limit was 60mph)
    Was it a good learning experience? Yes. Now I know, and have no reason to go that fast again. I feel it was also good to see what are the limits in a 'safe' area.

Take what you will from this. Thoughts? Experiences? Lessons-Learned?

2. oktane

oktane Active Member

What kind of tires do you have? There is a huge difference in cornering ability between all-season tires and max performance summer tires. Also, having a low-profile sidewall helps handling tremendously at the expense of ride comfort.

3. vrykolas

vrykolas Member

Yeah, I figured. I just have the stock 20" tires. Definitely not the 22"/Performance tires.
    But I'm ok with that.

4. JPP

JPP Active Member

Might want to cruise over to Bjorn Nyland's You Tube site and check out his video of high speed driving in his X...

• Like x 1
  5. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

6. DrivingRockies

What was your suspension set to?

7. vrykolas

vrykolas Member

@DrivingRockies suspension set to Standard always (which is probably another factor in the 'squishiness'

8. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

I am sure that the suspension set at a lower level would have helped. You would have had less air under the car which would probably help the aerodynamics, the centre of gravity would have been just a little lower and you would have had a little more angle on the wheels all of which may have reduced the feeling of car movement or 'squishiness'.

Another factor is the weight of the car, the X is a very heavy car and although it handles well there is no getting away from the fact that when you change direction the lateral forces on the suspension are substantial.

The last factor is the power steering/suspension combination of the X. The combination of wide wheels, suspension design and power steering provide limited feedback to where you are on the road compared to some other more sport oriented cars. This, when changing direction at speeds higher than you are used to, can lead to slight inaccuracy of steering which again loads up the tires and suspension. This is not a reflection on your driving skills but something that is harder to get right at high speeds for everyone when compared to a car with more direct steering feedback.

• Informative x 1