TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

High State of Charge Regen Question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mike K, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Mike K

Mike K Member

Hey all. I have a buddy that bought a P100D and he's curious as to why his at a 90% state of charge he might supercharge at 27kw but at a 90% state of charge his car will regain at 60kw. He seems to suggest that either they're ramping supercharger speed down too low or they're damaging the battery long term by forcing the car to regen at a power level higher than Tesla suggests it can handle at that state of charge.

I offered a much simpler explanation and speculated that the difference is simply a matter of constant load versus intermittent load and that perhaps at a 90% state of charge a constant 60kw charge rate might not be healthy for the battery but an intermittent shot of 60kw would likely be just fine. Could anyone elaborate? Am I completely wrong on that? I

2. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I think you're right.

3. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

My guess is constant vs intermittent load as you stated

4. John5396

John5396 Member

your guess makes sense. Another factor is the capability of the radiator to dissipate heat at highway speed vs parked at the SC.