Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High thermal capable brake calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So on the Tesla page, as part of the plaid upgrade it now lists “ high thermal capable brake calipers”. Are these new for 2023 plaid models? Will 2022 owners be able to get these too as upgrades?
You could order the parts directly when they show up in the parts catalog.

You will have to pay for them of course. And the installation. Not sure if any additional parts are required or if there are any other comparability issues with existing vehicles.

It could be an easy and worthwhile upgrade provided they actually work and this isn’t just a Tesla marketing gimmick. I would wait to see what new owners have to say before making the switch.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Well..it turns out there aren’t new calipers after all. Glad you waited?
C94EE3B4-10B3-4728-9D8B-7F5E9A665135.jpeg
It better be, that’s what I ordered.

View attachment 901710
It better be, that’s what I ordered.
It won’t be. I ordered a Model S with Tilting screen. Definitely did not materialize and there was no retrofit despite the fact they eventually made it available for other customers.

The “calipers” turned into “brake pads” within a week.

Check your order agreement. They are not listed. If it’s not on the OA form, it never existed. Despite what the website says.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
It won’t be. I ordered a Model S with Tilting screen. Definitely did not materialize and there was no retrofit despite the fact they eventually made it available for other customers.

Check your order agreement. They are not listed. If it’s not on the OA form, it never existed. Despite what the website says.
Then I don’t buy it. Simple for me.

Tires aren’t on it either, so does this mean no tires?

Been through what? You sound like you think you’re getting updated brake calipers. You aren’t. No one is. They do not exist.
Checking my new car to make sure it has what they promised. How did u miss the swivel screen? You get the 16gb? Do u even have a car?
I have looked at enough plaids to know they have changed tons on this car since 2021.

Be prepared not to buy it in that case. The calipers still appear to now be red, but are not upgraded in any way other than brake pad, according to the site.

Tesla has gotten away with this sort of thing for a while now. 200mph with just wheels and tires, available Fall, 2021, anyone?
Be prepared not to buy it in that case. The calipers still appear to now be red, but are not upgraded in any way other than brake pad, according to the site.

Tesla has gotten away with this sort of thing for a while now. 200mph with just wheels and tires, available Fall, 2021, anyone?
well as long as they are red I am good with that. Because everyone knows Red brakes stop faster.

Mr Astro glide I appreciate your concern for me not to get tricked by Tesla. (duley noted) my MPP rotors are in the garage and waiting. We people that understand cars know there is no such thing as high thermal capability brake caliper. I am sure they just paint them red. still getting the car unfortunately you didn’t scare me off. I will tell you this the swivel screen is a must for sure. I feel it for you that you don’t have that!
Now that I’ve fixed my rattling swivel screen shroud, I adore it. It’s so nice.

If you haven't upgraded your pads, you'll be surprised at how much of a massive improvement it makes. Using the UP/PFC street pads, the car went from stopping like a school bus to stopping like a camaro. It's not at corvette ZR1 levels, but absolutely a major improvement.

any regrets going from stealth to plaid?
None, but I plan on getting an additional M3P once they get the powerband issues improved for low SoC & higher RPM band. M3P handles much better than the S.

The girlfriend has an MYP on order, but she said specifically that I'm not allowed to change anything on it...so I need another M3P.

The photos do make the rear caliper look like they could potentially be dual piston instead of single piston. That doesn't have anything to do with the thermal capacity, it's just an upgrade.

But, like everyone else on here, I am also asserting with zero evidence other than an assumption I made from a photo on their website.